PDA

View Full Version : Painless Wiring

graycamaro
06-12-2005, 03:13 PM
I was just curious how many people here have used painless wiring for there projects and what there result were and if it is actually painless?

I am converting to TPI and have a factory harness, but it looks like it has seen better days same as the original harness in my 80 camaro. So I was thinking I would replace them both with painless harnesses. Getting reddy to mock everything up in the camaro before I tear it down the final time for body and paint work and need to route wires and get everything layed out that way if I have to do any adjustments such as cut a hole in the firewall or drill holes for mounting It can be done before it gets painted.

KacyZ28
06-17-2005, 02:42 PM
i had bought one but returned it for another company and now i wishi hadnt but it was very laid out and instructions were more detailed than the kit i used btw id like to see your car sometime

graycamaro
06-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Cool dude your right in ofallon. Car is not driveable as it sets but you may have seen it I drove it some last fall before I started tearing it down. Setting in the driveway now.

E-Mail me at [email protected] maybe if I have sometime some day you could come take a look at it. Spend most my time Working on stock cars not much time to work on the camaro yet but ive been buying parts.

toxicz28
06-18-2005, 05:09 AM
I was just curious how many people here have used painless wiring for there projects and what there result were and if it is actually painless?

I bought a painless harness for my 69. Haven't installed it yet, but it looks pretty thorough, and the instructions are very detailed.

derekf
06-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Even though I picked up my Painless harness from an eBay seller who'd opened the box and then scrapped the project, the techs at Painless's support were most helpful and answered all my questions quickly.

Now I've just got to get far enough along where I can use the harness. It sure looks well made.

graycamaro
06-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the input I think I'll probably order my harnesses soon.

stanglou
06-20-2005, 10:04 AM
I am in the middle of it right now. The hardest part is getting the under dash stuff right. tracing which stock wire goes to which painless wire is a pain in the as, but Im getting there. my suggestion is to get a lot of extra shrink tubing, the cold heat solderer from radio shack, and lots of extra ground wire.

chicane67
06-20-2005, 12:42 PM
I used one. Made some changes to the firewall through-put's to taylor it to my needs..... but it was very strait forward. I recommend that you use plastic-less butt splice connectors, solder each connection and triple heat shrink them. No matter what harness you ultimately go with, one thing you will never want is elctrical problems/greamlins from poor connections.

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-21-2005, 06:37 AM
If you need a harness for your car check out M&H Fabrications first. Their harnesses are just like factory only better quality. I have bought a complete set of new harnesses for my 67 FIrebird from them. If you lay their harness next to an original one they look the same. Only cleaner :).

www.wiringharness.com

Painless are not painless...

third base
06-21-2005, 11:22 AM
I bought a painless kit from summit and decided to return it because I found a kit through american auto wire that looks much easier. all wires are ran and clumped together. all you have to do I guess, is drop it in the car and start plugging in. going to buy the kit within a few weeks, so we will see what happens. until then here is the site. www.americanautowire.com (classic update series) 1967-69 camaro

beyonda68
06-21-2005, 03:32 PM
What is the price difference? Which is more complete?

graycamaro
06-21-2005, 04:05 PM
The american autowire harness looks like it uses the old style fuses. I think I'd rather upgrade. Any thoughts on getting a fuse block from painless or other source and making my own harness. I am not going to have a lot to run. No pw, pd, ac,. Only concern is when it comes to the engine harness since I am going with TPI.

I have a pretty good understanding of electricity and how sensors, actuators. sending units, etc work. And usually i can figure stuff out by looking at it and reading about it. Are there any good books out there on automotive wiring or am I limited to car stereo books. I have the TPI swappers guide and although it does have a lot of really good information in it it really says little in the way of actually putting TPI in a car. It explains fuel injection a little and has a troubleshooting section, but doesnt actually have a lay out of the wireharness in the car.

Any Suggestion on any of my problems. Thanks again. James

third base
06-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Don't know about the TPI. I would call them. Just put in my order today and it is 500 buck for the kit(price is soon going up). as for complete, it doesn't get any more complete. when compared to painless, american beats it hands down. everything is ran and all of the right connectors are already installed. fuse block also comes with the new style block. no glass fuses here. hope this helps.