PDA

View Full Version : Ball joint stud angle?

Motorcitydak
03-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I have some ZO6 knuckles and nascar style LCA's to attach them to which have MOOG 1003 ball joints in them. I also have a ball joint reamer because the ZO6 knuckles lower ball joint hole is no where near large enough to fit those lower ball joints. I just want to see if anyone out there knows what the angle of the ball joint stud is. I tried looking on moog's website to find a number I could call but have not been able to find one. I did put the reamer in the ZO6 hole and its clear that the ZO6 uses a different angle, maybe 11? The reamer I have is a 7 degree taper

andrewb70
03-07-2011, 04:25 PM
I have some ZO6 knuckles and nascar style LCA's to attach them to which have MOOG 1003 ball joints in them. I also have a ball joint reamer because the ZO6 knuckles lower ball joint hole is no where near large enough to fit those lower ball joints. I just want to see if anyone out there knows what the angle of the ball joint stud is. I tried looking on moog's website to find a number I could call but have not been able to find one. I did put the reamer in the ZO6 hole and its clear that the ZO6 uses a different angle, maybe 11? The reamer I have is a 7 degree taper

It sounds like a bad idea to ream the Corvette spindles. The ball joints are essentially in interference fit. The ball joints are pulled by the nut to a certain point and slightly stretch the spindle to get a desired clamp. If you ream the ball joint hole, then there will be much less material in the spindle around the ball joint.

Andrew

Motorcitydak
03-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Agreed, I think I did not explain myself very well. A picture is worth 1000 words, Id say these crappy cell phone pics are worth maybe 250 but they may help me illustrate my point

Here is the ZO6 knuckle next to the lower ball joint that I want to run. The second pic shows the knuckle sitting on the lower ball joint. The threaded part of the ball joint is 5/8, as you can see it does not even fit thru the knuckle. It will have to be reamed out to fit the larger ball joint stud, Im just trying to find out if anyone knows what the angle of that stud is. I tried to measure it myself with a digital caliper and given the room for error that I gave myself, Id say its somewhere around 6.75 degree to 7.5 degree taper on the ball joint
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/0307012355-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/0307012355a-1.jpg

MrQuick
03-07-2011, 10:34 PM
my eyes are bad but dayummm...:candle:

Im with Andrew, I would not ream that spindle. That is going to be alot of material moved for that lower ball joint to fit right.

vince

monteboy84
03-08-2011, 05:48 AM
I'd try to get some Howe LBJ's with custom pins to fit your spindle.

-matt

MIKE67
03-08-2011, 09:23 AM
COMMON TAPERS ARE:

1:6, 2” PER FOOT, 9.46 DEGREES = USE 10 DEGREE. MOST COMMON “METRIC” AND CHRYSLER.

1:8, 1 1/2” PER FOOT, 7 1/8 DEGREES = USE 7 DEGREE. MOST COMMON.

Speedway Motors have reamers by two manufacturers in each angle. There are other suppliers.
I am currently debating a similar issue. I want to use the Chrysler large lower ball joint, but spindles to fit aren't available.

Motorcitydak
03-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks Mike, that is really what I was looking for. After reading that, I went ahead and reamed out the spindle. It took quite a long time and I only have one done rite now but it is done. I think the ZO6 uses the 10 degree but the reamer I have is 7. I tried it out on a piece of wood first to make sure that the ball joints are the same taper as the reamer which they are. After that, I turned on the knuckles. I know you guys were worried about removing too much material but I only had to actually ream out a small amount. Ill get some pics of it and measure the other spindle to see what I removed. I do know that I had to open the bottom up to 0.890 and that there is still a lot of material left over for strength