PDA

View Full Version : electronic exhaust cutouts/nascar sidepipes

vanzuuk1
06-12-2005, 11:39 AM
The thread about sidepipes got me thinking, why not a full exhaust to the rear valance, tucked up flush so its not too visible , and a pair of side pipes that branch off and exit just ahead of the rear tire.

You could use the qtp brand exhaust cutout when you are at the track and run the open exhaust.(the qtp is a y pipe with a little sliding door)

Any thoughts, good or bad? Could the rear tips be tucked away without the car filling with exhaust? Do the cutouts work as advertised or are they a headache?

Ralph LoGrasso
06-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Dirk,

I'm a little confused--what you're saying is you'd want a regular rear exhaust (just hidden) and then side pipes that dump before the rear wheel? And you'd use the cutouts to go back and forth between the two? Sounds like a cool idea, but you can achieve the same goal much simpler, I Think. Just do the rear exhaust, and put the cutouts in right after the headers. When the cutouts are closed, you'd have a regular exhaust system, when they're open, it be essentialy like running open headers. This is how most late model cars are set up when using cut-outs. Also, the QTP cut-outs are pretty good from what I hear, a lot of 4th gen guys are running them.

vanzuuk1
06-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Ralph You were right the second time full exhaust with a cut out that opens to the side.I didnt know -if you cut the full exhaust so it wont show from the back' will the car pickup exhaust through the trunk area?

Ralph LoGrasso
06-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Not sure, I wouldn't think so? You could always just dump it before the rear axle with some turndowns. Just use a big muffler to quiet it up a bit. Power wouldn't be a concern since you have the cut-outs.

A friend of mine has a '98 Cobra with no catback, so the exhaust dumps right after the cats and h-pipe, right about in the center of the car. While inside the car, you can smell the exhaust if you're standing still, but I think some turndowns would help some. You could always route the ehxuast up over the axle, and then just have the tips sit flush with the valance. I've seen a ton of cars like those, but most have the tips protrude down about an inch. Just cut 'em a little shorter. I'll try to find a pic.

Ralph LoGrasso
06-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Here's a pic of the Mule. Just cut the tips back an inch or so, and you're golden.

https://www.pro-touring.com/mule/DSCN6851.jpg

vanzuuk1
06-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Ralph
Excellent , thats exactly what I meant. My current exhaust looks loke the one on the mule, Ill just trim it and add the side exhausts.The getaway car will rule.
Thanks

Ralph LoGrasso
06-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Ralph
Excellent , thats exactly what I meant. My current exhaust looks loke the one on the mule, Ill just trim it and add the side exhausts.The getaway car will rule.
Thanks

Hell yes!! The getaway car already rules, though! I love that car, it just looks so bad ass and ready for anything. I'd like to see those QTP cut-outs in action up close, too. I might be putting them on something very soon.

Obi next sunday?

astroracer
06-13-2005, 02:18 AM
I saw a pair in action at a carshow last weekend. Prostreeted '61 bubbletop with a 502 and fenderwell headers. The owner had them pointing out the side of the car right behind the front tire. The cutouts worked flawlessly but I am sure he is breathing a lot of unburned hydrocarbons with them in that location... I didn't ask that question though so I'm not sure...
Mark

vanzuuk1
06-13-2005, 03:18 AM
Ralph Not sure about next weekend there is an air show, always wanted to see one. Email me friday.thanks

Tig Man
06-13-2005, 05:08 AM
Here are some pictures of what your talking about. It is one of the best jobs I've seen yet.

Mark

vanzuuk1
06-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Tig Man that is very cool , thanks for the photos.Mine wont be as pretty but they will get the job done.

Drewhelm
06-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Tig that is certainly the best example I've seen! Gives me an idea how to do mine, too.

Damn True
08-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Here's a pic of the Mule. Just cut the tips back an inch or so, and you're golden.

https://www.pro-touring.com/mule/DSCN6851.jpg

Hmmm, that reminds me....As much as Id like to have my pipes exit straight out the back like on the Thrasher, sound restrictions as Laguna and Im sure it will happen elsewhere make keeping it quiet an issue, with the turndowns I would think that the sound would not be quite as bad.