PDA

View Full Version : Guldstrand modificationand, and lowering 1st gen camaro ?

s10pro
03-03-2011, 06:34 PM
i am about to start my build on my 68 camaro, car will be getting a stock ls6 with a 4l65, i want to run 18s front and rear. The car will a driver like to work ect almost ever day driver,i was going to do 2 drop hotchkis front springs and rear lowering leafs,is the guldstrand a good idea for street use.

stewy
03-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Gulstrand modification is not necessary for a street car cruiser. Just make sure you get some good shocks like the bilstiens to go along with the Hotchkis springs.

6'9"Witha69
03-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Either do the GS mod or a tall upper ball joint from Marcus @ SC&C. This is not a track car modification, this is usefult o make your car react and grip matter anywhere. IMO, driving on the street is more unpredictable and requires better steering suspension capabilities.

Hotchkis
03-11-2011, 05:05 PM
The stock first gen Camaro front suspension leaves a lot to be desired on camber. The picture below shows how bad the front camber is on a stock first gen Camaro when the wheels are turned.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/stockfirstgencamarocamber-1.jpg

When you turn the wheel, only the outside edge of the tire digs into the asphalt. The stock camber curve of the front suspension doesn’t improve during compression. After doing the Guldtrand Mod and lowering the car the tire contact patch on the asphalt is flatter during suspension articulation and handles much better.

If you want to handle better you should look at some upper control arms and consider performing the Guldstrand Mod at the same time. The Guldstrand Mod requires hacking the frame to clear stock control arms. Installing tubular control arms at the same time eliminates hacking the tower because the arms are open on the top. The only mod you have to do is drill 2 holes on each tower and you’re done.

People often underestimate how important handling is for a street-driven car, but once you've upgraded, you'll be pleased you did. You'll notice the increase responsiveness and feeling of control in everything from driving to the store to parking at a cruise night.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif