PDA

View Full Version : Results results!!!

rsk68
03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
So when will we know how we did, I know I didnt win anything but after breaking my car I would like to know how I stacked up against the rest.

Also Liz Miles was a big help having a car full of tools for me to borrow, we found a bunch of bent pushrods and called it a day, as soon as it warms up I'm going to pull the engine and see what really happened!

chr2002ca
03-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Sorry to hear that Rick. Last year my engine took a crap on me(spun rod bearing) so I know the feeling. Hopefully it's something not too serious and you'll be back up and running in no time.

Nessumsar
03-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Ouch Rich. I didn't hear about your car dying, what happened? Timing chain?

Flash68
03-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Bummer to hear Rick. Really enjoyed seeing your car. That thing is well done and sounds great.

Anxiously awaiting final times as well!

Bill Howell
03-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Guys, I worked on Sunday's event totals all the way home on the plane yesterday and working on Saturday now. So many numbers to transfer to a spreadsheet, a lot of work. Will get them up asap.

Vegas69
03-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Bill, we appreciate all your hard work man!

One thing you may want to consider implementing is a volunteer with a sticky note pad and a pen giving out results after runs. Works great for my local SCCA.

Bill Howell
03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks Todd. It is hard to try and figure out how to do it. With three different events at once it is tough to come up with some type of computer recording that would save doing it twice. Maybe someone here much more computer savy than me could work on a solution. The sticky deal would work, as long as we had enough volunteers to help out. We barely had enough help to work the cones on Sunday. Without people like Greg Weld we would not have events, just that plain and simple.

Chad-1stGen
03-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Rick, due to your car trouble I don't know if you stuck around for the awards ceremony or not?

I seem to recall your name being mentioned as 10th in the road course though which would be awesome! Any one else confirm? Unless there is another name that sounds like Rick Klien (sp?).

6'9"Witha69
03-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Bill, I can work on an access based app that would work to track results by event. It would be a data driven model so it would work for any type of scoring, unlimited numbers of laps, etc. If you want me to do it I can do it. Thing is you would need 3 laptops to enter the data into (one for each event) otherwise it would be a waste of time, since everything would have to be rekeyed again.

sik68
03-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks Todd. It is hard to try and figure out how to do it. With three different events at once it is tough to come up with some type of computer recording that would save doing it twice. Maybe someone here much more computer savy than me could work on a solution. The sticky deal would work, as long as we had enough volunteers to help out. We barely had enough help to work the cones on Sunday. Without people like Greg Weld we would not have events, just that plain and simple.

Bill, PM sent. Google Docs has a cloud-based spreadsheet application that can be edited simultaneously by any number of people. You just need internet access and gmail accounts.

Vegas69
03-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Perfect, guys that are alot savier than me.

My idea is really for instant gratification for the competitors. They know if they are improving and can compare times until the official results are posted. It's also a good way to back up the results if a mistake is made. You know we are keeping our best time slips. I think the competitors need to help more with the volunteering. If you have 3 crew, make one of them be a volunteer. Personally, being a volunteer is probably the best way to see the action. Let us know how many volunteers you need and we'll try to help nail down more...

GregWeld
03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
"WE" will have a big electronic sign shortly. Stay tuned.

That way as you come around you can see your time on your way "out".

Just need to come up with the right one that will work in sunlight - and be RELIABLE carting it around to all these events.

Danny Thomas
03-01-2011, 07:14 PM
"WE" will have a big electronic sign shortly. Stay tuned.

That way as you come around you can see your time on your way "out".

Just need to come up with the right one that will work in sunlight - and be RELIABLE carting it around to all these events.

Are you up to something after I told you what was available and what it cost...lol....I truly appreciate your commitment at the autocross both days and helping me to run the autocross in an organized manner....Danny

Flash68
03-01-2011, 07:56 PM
The next event is already getting better.... I use google apps/shared docs for my business and it works great and is FREE so that's a decent idea there I'd agree.

A sign/scoreboard? Now that would take this to the next level!

rsk68
03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
What do they use at the Goodguys events? it looks expensive! how about 3 data entry people that can type 100 words a minute in excell, i could find atleast one i know of.

Chad i had to finish up the photo shoot during the awards, the car was running good enough to move it around but at one time the motor made some crazy noises so i'm probably going to pull it, i will pull the top end of in the car first to see if its obvious.

if i was 10th fastest on the road course that would just be awsome!

killer69
03-01-2011, 08:32 PM

just a thought what about a couple cheep laptops with Excell spread sheets that could be used to enter the times instead of hand writing them then you could colateand sort in a couple steps .02
Awesome event Bill!!!

GregWeld
03-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Are you up to something after I told you what was available and what it cost...lol....I truly appreciate your commitment at the autocross both days and helping me to run the autocross in an organized manner....Danny

Yeah Danny --- Bill and I are up to no good as usual! We're already hot on the trail to get "something" that works for all parties as far
as portability - reliability - and that you can see in full sun etc.

Super fun event -- and you're one of the good guys! Loved working with ya!

GregWeld
03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
just a thought what about a couple cheep laptops with Excell spread sheets that could be used to enter the times instead of hand writing them then you could colateand sort in a couple steps .02
Awesome event Bill!!!

Blake --- After working that table at Optima - and having it all "computer" --- trust me... it's a PITA. I ended up hand writing every time so that we could then double check the computer entry. It was so easy in the heat of battle to put a time in the wrong guys slot or the sun would blank the screen out... and the battery would run low --- and that DELETE key is always just an accidental click away.

My thought was to hand write 'em and at the end of each "group" --- give the sheets to someone that could then enter into a spreadsheet so that by lunchtime you'd be all caught up and be able to give standings --- and again at the end of the day. So a laptop can be used... it's more of matter of HOW and when etc. But having those sheets for backup rather than the other way around worked one heck of a lot better than the Optima set up. We spent more time messing with the dang computer (and I'm good at that stuff) than doing anything else!

Good to see ya there buddy -- and that is some NOVA!!! Driver ain't bad either if that's what you're into. LOL

6'9"Witha69
03-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Kind of why an app that only allows entry of a car number and a time is a good idea. Only empty boxes, data enter, press apply, fill in the same boxes for the next guy.

This sort of thing is my livelyhood, so I know how to make technology mesh best with process. just let me know if you want to see a sample. A proof of concept is easy to do.

GregWeld
03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
^^^^^^^^^ THAT IS A GOOD IDEA!!

And that is why this is such a great family of friends and fellow gearheads!

SLO_Z28
03-02-2011, 05:06 AM
I remember looking for said sign, realizing there wasn't one, pulling up to the tent and looking at Greg waiting for my time, then hed have this funny WTF are you doing face and yelled at me to get back in line. I LOL'ed. I know I did terrible, but still, nice to know how terrible.

There is a SCCA SOLO2 event on the 19th this month, worth going if you've never seen how one is run. You can hire those teams to bring the timing equipment and work the course for you too. What was the timing setup on the road course? That was less than clear. I dont even know where the start/stop points were for timing.

Bryce
03-02-2011, 06:11 AM
How are we currently keeping time? We could keep time an export it directly into the computer then the person would only have to enter the car number. ALL data is saved then exported into excel. If our timer could send data with 0-5VDC output then it would be really easy to program. There would be other equipment required but its an idea.

I am a test engineer so data collection adn data reduction are a daily task for me.

Danny Thomas
03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
How are we currently keeping time? We could keep time an export it directly into the computer then the person would only have to enter the car number. ALL data is saved then exported into excel. If our timer could send data with 0-5VDC output then it would be really easy to program. There would be other equipment required but its an idea.

I am a test engineer so data collection adn data reduction are a daily task for me.
The new timing system we used this weekend allows for data to be exported into a computer but since this was our first use of it we still yet to learn its full potential. Also taking sheets after each group and putting into a spreadsheet could allow us to provide printout at various times of the day or at least posting final results quicker. There is always room for improvement. Any help or suggestions are always appreciated.

Danny

Bill Howell
03-02-2011, 07:16 PM
http://www.detroitspeed.com/speednews/rttc2011/rttc-2011-pg-1.html
go to this page then click on the individual page of the segment you want to see. These are not all the results, but coming fast. Maybe if Larry has time he can post them too, I finally got them all on a spread sheet.

rsk68
03-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Wow i'm a little bit in shock, I was looking at the results DSE posted and I was 10th overall on the road course, imagine if I had one of those fancy rear suspensions and some expensive shocks haha! seriously I really dont know what to make of it, a little birdy told me I was 5th overall for saturday and I had no timed runs Sunday due to engine failure, time to get this car fixed. I pulled the valve covers this evening and all the pushrods are bent, I think the crazy noise I heard was a really bad one rubbing on the guide plate, I orderd some 7/16 dia, by 1/8 wall comp cam pushrods and aluminum stud girdles, hope everthing else is ok.

whens the next event???????

johnny68
03-02-2011, 09:15 PM
hope it all works out rick i was the one who did your tech by the trailers congrats on 10th
john

RobNoLimit
03-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks for a great day. glad to see results, ... but whats the "flat out" after my name? I was giviin her all she's got but ...

rrelco
03-03-2011, 06:43 AM
I sure hope car no. 18 gets on the list.....I know I was timed maybe its a Camaro thing!!!!

Nessumsar
03-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Ugh!!! Only one time on the autocross and no time on the big course!! The suspense!

406 Q-ship
03-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Holy Sheep Dip Batman......I was quicker than Steve Rupp and Penny in the Malibu. Well my ego is doing better......for now.

I need some more HP....STAT!

rrelco
03-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Ugh!!! Only one time on the autocross and no time on the big course!! The suspense!

you toooo...

Flash68
03-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Holy Sheep Dip Batman......I was quicker than Steve Rupp and Penny in the Malibu. Well my ego is doing better......for now.

Look again. Everyone's best time is not on the right column on that list. Rupp beat you. You're the #45 car, yes?

Hopefully someone will clean it up and post a better populated list soon.

Nessumsar
03-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Look again. Everyone's best time is not on the right column on that list. Rupp beat you. You're the #45 car, yes?

I was noticing this too, where's Mr. Ortega when we need him??

chr2002ca
03-03-2011, 10:56 AM
'Results results' is a more accurate name for this thread than the original poster could have predicted. We get one set of results from DSE's website and then Bill is going to release a second set of results which are more inclusive, categorized, and hopefully sorted a little better. A lot of numbers to shuffle through. I don't envy Bill's job.

mpozzi
03-03-2011, 12:26 PM
The road course timing was a couple of hand-held iPods with a stopwatch app. The S/F was at the area you entered the course on Saturday but moved to the white vehicle parked on the back pyloned section for Sunday. The two girls at the start area barriers were the timers for Saturday and I watched them start and take splits, then write the times down. For Sunday, they had to speed things up a bit so changed S/F to the back area. Not sure if manual timing was continued.

Mary Pozzi

I remember looking for said sign, realizing there wasn't one, pulling up to the tent and looking at Greg waiting for my time, then hed have this funny WTF are you doing face and yelled at me to get back in line. I LOL'ed. I know I did terrible, but still, nice to know how terrible.

There is a SCCA SOLO2 event on the 19th this month, worth going if you've never seen how one is run. You can hire those teams to bring the timing equipment and work the course for you too. What was the timing setup on the road course? That was less than clear. I dont even know where the start/stop points were for timing.

Sarge73Z28
03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Mary! How'd it go for you?. I'm starting to realize just how many from Nasty are over here. I really need to get started on my 87. I think I'm gonna make that into my road race vehicle. Shame I'm not in a position where I could make more events. This looks like it was a lot of fun.

mpozzi
03-03-2011, 12:56 PM
It went great and was the first time I'd driven James Shipka's "One Lap Camaro" at speed. The car was a bit twitchy on the road course but we rocked it in both the Speed-Stop and the Autocross. Managed to get decent times on the track as I had my fastest laps in the Sunday morning practice sessions. The Camaro has a built-in speed notification system (RS headlamp doors will open). Both were open wide after the warm up but not in the timed portions.

I took the car to Willow Springs on Tuesday and got more practice in preparation for the main event of my year, the One Lap of America, in May. Felt very comfortable with the car and can't wait. This car just gets better and better.

Glad to see you here.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Chad-1stGen
03-03-2011, 01:19 PM
I've decided that I need driving lessons (aparently again) and car set up lessons!

My car still pushes a lot in the autocross and on the road course during the slower speed corners.

sik68
03-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I've decided that I need driving lessons (aparently again) and car set up lessons!

My car still pushes a lot in the autocross and on the road course during the slower speed corners.

+1 me too on all counts.

carguy502
03-03-2011, 02:27 PM
+1 me too on all counts.

Same here, though I wish I had times to compare. Seems like the number 20 car did not exist/run, lol. Shame the start/stop challenge timing gear went fubar on Saturday, I did not even get to do it. Lesson: register for both days.

406 Q-ship
03-03-2011, 02:46 PM

Thank you for popping my bubble.....:squint:

I actually was quicker on the last lap, and pretty close to his other times. I only have a bolt on Chevelle with 350 hp, talk about a letter opener against a gun.

Nessumsar
03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Same here, though I wish I had times to compare. Seems like the number 20 car did not exist/run, lol. Shame the start/stop challenge timing gear went fubar on Saturday, I did not even get to do it. Lesson: register for both days.

Yep. On a side note, we should get together and do a canyon drive sometime. I'll shoot you a PM.

406 Q-ship
03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Chad it was a very tight auto-x and the ground was dirty on Saturday morning (when I ran), I was fighting understeer the whole time on the auto-x. I should have not pulled the rear swaybar off my car.

-The Stig-
03-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Well, most of you guys cleaned off the autox track by the time we got there Saturday afternoon, but it wasn't much help. The G8 just has too much understeer designed into the factory suspension settings, "for your safety", bleh... I had fun though, I knew I wasn't going to be in the 'hunt'. So I just tried to step the tail out when I could... never hit a cone all weekend. Which is a first! :D

carguy502
03-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Yep. On a side note, we should get together and do a canyon drive sometime. I'll shoot you a PM.

Hell yes.

-The Stig-
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Hell yes.

^ So much Win. ^

carguy502
03-03-2011, 03:28 PM
^ So much Win. ^

Duh, WINNING...

Sorry, I was left wide open for the Charlie Sheen quote. Back to your regularly scheduled programing.

Don

-The Stig-
03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm on a drug... it's called Charlie Sheen!... and it's not for sale!

Nessumsar
03-03-2011, 04:20 PM
If a normal person were to take it, their face would melt off and their children would be left crying at their exploded bodies...

6'9"Witha69
03-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Ahh, But I have the Tiger Blood

6'9"Witha69
03-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm a %$^&ing ROCK STAR

-The Stig-
03-04-2011, 07:59 AM
This thread is made of Win.

Nessumsar
03-04-2011, 08:59 AM
What were talking about again?