PDA

View Full Version : RTTC 2 - What a blast!

Larry Callahan
02-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks to everyone that put this together, sponsored and volunteered this last weekend. The amount time and effort to do it really showed.

I had an awesome time and it was so much fun it should almost be illegal.

I drove down Saturday morning and arrived a bit late. I hung out most of the day and got a few laps in on the road course and despite being run down both times by far better drivers and wearing the pink hat for a bit I had a blast.

Afterward I went and to the now famous taco night and watch all manners of numbness take place and had some great laughs and some great tacos. The time spent in the evenings hanging with people and sponsors swapping stories is just as much fan as the track time.

If you have never joined in the fun come on out. You don't need a million dollar car or be able to drive the guys that kept catching me to enjoy yourself. Come on out, have some fun, learn how to drive and you will be hooked. The comradery and support you will get is priceless. Everywhere people are helping each other with their cars, giving pointers on how to drive and it makes me proud of the hobby to see it all come together.

Sunday was the big day for me. I arrived early and before I even reached the facility I was nervous. Nervous about my car and it being able to make it's near 90 mile drive home afterward, nervous about making a fool of myself on the track and being "that" guy.

It didn't take but a couple passes down the speed stop challenge and that all went away. I had a blast and at each end had a hard time keeping the car pointed straight. I finally figured out what worked for me as I kept coming up a little short and having to lift off the brakes. I figured I need to hit the brakes not when I thought I needed to or when I thought I've gone too far but when I'm absolutely certain there is now way in hell I'm going to stop and I would be plowing through 40mph. That's when it worked for me and I stopped about a foot short of the exit of the box and got a smile and a big thumbs up from Todd of Baer Brakes. At that point I was done. I didn't think there was any way I was going to top that.

So, off the to autocross I went. The course was laid out well and was challenging. In the end by best run was only something like a 43.1 but I had a great time doing it. At one point most of the people left to go get ready for the road course and there wasn't a line. So, I just started running lap after lap after lap. On what was to be my last lap Mary Pozzi jumped in and took it for a spin. Keep in mind she has never even sat in MotiV8r and we only had a few seconds to adjust the seat and throw a belt on her. Not knowing the clutch or my Richmond 6 speed she didn't get off the line real quick and took a second to find second and knocked down a 40.17 on her first lap. That's 3 seconds off my best lap and now far off from the record for the day. I can't wait for the next chance to learn from someone who can drive and help me with some shock and swaybar settings. I think with some work I could easily take a couple of seconds off my time and I can't wait.

Afterwards I went and ran the road course. That's my favorite part. I had a great time, got ran down by the Newmans 55 and despite Kyle Tucker leaving in front of me he he still ran me down. But, I still had a great time. I found out I should probably try running without my rear sway bar next time, and don't rush it so much. I think part of what held my times down is not being smooth.

There is a school held there at the base once in a while and now that I feel more comfortable in the car I think I will sign up. I hope they let you drive your own car but I can still learn in something else.

Over the next couple of days I will try to figure out how to get the videos out my Iphone that would not upload and get some of my in car and intercooler camera footage posted.

Hey Bill! When can I sign up for the next event. I've got a full tank of gas and I'm ready to go.

Later-A-body
02-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Larry,
Can you post some information on the school you mentioned that runs at the base. I would be very interested in signing up. Thanks

Sean Tobin

CarlC
02-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Uh oh. Larry has taken a big hit on the crack pipe.

Nessumsar
03-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Uh oh. Larry has taken a big hit on the crack pipe.

Haha.

LUACE
03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Larry,
Can you post some information on the school you mentioned that runs at the base. I would be very interested in signing up. Thanks

Sean Tobin

Here is some info on the High Performance driving courses http://www.ocracecraft.com/ . I am definitely going to look into it.

4086D9
03-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Larry you post made me think of what I would feel in my car. Its not done and does not have trick brakes or suspension. I have never driven any track events. Only thing I have ever done is 1/4 mile stuff. Didnt want to go out and feel like a tard...lol. But I know its all and fun and you have to start somewere right!

Larry Callahan
03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Hold off everyone on contacting the school for a bit. I will see if we can fill a class ourselves. Make it a PT day.

Danny Thomas
03-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Larry .. that would be a great school. Nathan gave us a certificate to give away and was told it was valued at $600. Nathan is an awesome driver and has some great connections, remember last years RTTC. Hopefully he could do a great group package price. If you need to get in touch with him...Yancy has all the contact info and is our go between man for our event. Wish it was closer for us guys.

Danny

Rod
03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Hold off everyone on contacting the school for a bit. I will see if we can fill a class ourselves. Make it a PT day.

I'm in Larry pick the weekend

carguy502
03-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Same here, Larry. I got a little (a lot) addicted to the autox.

Don

Flash68
03-03-2011, 12:13 AM

I'm interested too depending on timing. Please keep me posted on it. We could car pool again Rod.

ErikLS2
03-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Larry, thanks for explaining the experience so well. I only had my Trailblazer SS to run in the thing, my Camaro is a ways from being done, but spent the whole weekend laid up in the hotel with a bad stomach virus thing. Lost 10 pounds before I was done. Anyway, I was smiling just reading your description. I did see a couple of the cars on the cruise on Friday but am so bummed I missed seeing all the cars and meeting everyone.

mdprovee
03-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Depending on timing and cost I would be willing to come down.

Rod
03-03-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm interested too depending on timing. Please keep me posted on it. We could car pool again Rod.

All right Flash68, now we need Newman, and a few more and we have a track day!!!!!!

Nessumsar
03-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Track class, 30 minutes from home? Count me in!

mpozzi
03-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Same here. Count me in.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

-The Stig-
03-03-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm in. Car or not... let's do this.

chevyhector
03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Dang, i cant stay away from this fun ! Coun t me in ! I wonder if they would allow my 16 year old at the school?

Larry Callahan
03-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Here are two laps from the second time I hit the road course on Saturday.

ymdS8_SKfi0