PDA

View Full Version : Run To The Coast 2 -- super cool video -- now with track data

Steve1968LS2
02-26-2011, 09:03 PM
What a great day... no rain and although it was pretty damn cold it was still great. Worst part is that when it's cloudy I forget sunscreen.

David Pozzi and I are sharing Penny so she's getting a real workout. Did good on the damp autocross and on the big road course David is in 2nd (so far) with a 1:08.7 run (first place at this point is Ryan from DSE with a 1:08.3.

Late in the day Bill Howell came up and asked if Nathan could give a ride to a VIP from BFGoodrich in Penny around the track. Well, Nathan is a hell of driver and runs Orange County Racecraft. They give classes at El Toro and he's ran some pretty high end races. In short, he's very good behind the wheel.

Since I like to see my car get really driven I let them go. Well, Nathan tore it the f up.. I still need to download my Racepak data but he was screaming and turned in a best lap (of three) of 1:03.1 .. that's over 5 seconds faster than the previous fast lap. We all watch in amazement as he hazed the tires all the way down the main straight and made it through gates none of us thought he could make. It was epic and a blast to watch.

The downside is that since he pushed my car harder than ever we found that under crazy turning the front tires rub the inner wheelhouse on the outside edge.. this melted the PS2s and caused them to seperate the outer layer. They were flat spotted anyways so no huge loss and thanks to Matt Alcala and Jon of Driverz Inc I will back in business tomorrow. Sure it cost me a few hundred bucks in tires, but it was SOOO worth it and to be honest it make me pretty damn proud of my car.

So here's the video on youtube.. I'm not embedding it.. click the link and watch it in high-res full screen so you can see Nathan work the steering wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEsFj-ESgUw

And here's a shot of Nathan smoking the tires down the straight.. he seemed to like the power.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/2eaidrr-1.jpg

89 RS
02-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Cool, glad the weather cooperated with you guys for the most part. Don't hesitate to post some pics or videos if you have them. Thanks for sharing Steve.

Yelcamino
02-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Cool video Steve! Penny is awesome flying around that track!

protouring70
02-27-2011, 05:28 AM
Alright Steve!!! It sounds like the car is even more impressive than we all thought! Didn't think that was possible! Man you guys do good work!!!! And sometimes it is good to let someone else drive!

TwinSting
02-27-2011, 07:01 AM
It was so cool seeing that in person yesterday.

SLO_Z28
02-27-2011, 07:04 AM
It was a fun track as you can see, I had to drive through water at that last technical part and it looks like it cleared up there not even an hour after I ran or so. I was flat out after that last chicane when my weight transfer was done all the way to the turn in, had to be doing 110-115, curious how fast you were, I was nowhere near my grip limit. The speed tech nova, DSE 70 camaro, Brians vette, and OLC were all wicked fast.

The Stickman
02-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Is that supposed to be an AutoX course? Looks more like a road course with cones lol.

Steve1968LS2
02-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Alright Steve!!! It sounds like the car is even more impressive than we all thought! Didn't think that was possible! Man you guys do good work!!!! And sometimes it is good to let someone else drive!

Well, like any car, it's only as impressive as the skilled driver behind the wheel.. I'm sure Nathan could be pretty impressive in a number of PT cars. What would be cool would be a PT car shootout where all the cars are driven by the same pro wheelman.. like the Stig on Top Gear.

New tires are on the car and I'm off to the track!

Steve1968LS2
02-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Is that supposed to be an AutoX course? Looks more like a road course with cones lol.

Road course with cones.. normally it's 2.1 miles but we had to shorten it a touch to use the hangar... it's comprised of several runways.

musclecarmatt
02-27-2011, 07:54 AM
very nice vid...man wish i could went!

1969CamaroRS
02-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Very nice video can even see the smoke from the front drivers side tire a few times.

JEFFTATE
02-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Wow !!
That course is HUGE !!

Nathan power slides the car a lot too.
Very impressive Steve !!

ROBS6T8
02-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Great video. It looks like a lot of fun.... next year! lol

rfalker1
02-28-2011, 05:46 PM
I feel inferior now.... !!!! amazing

Steve1968LS2
02-28-2011, 06:57 PM
I feel inferior now.... !!!! amazing

Welcome to my club... lol

Steve1968LS2
02-28-2011, 08:15 PM
I downloaded the track data from Nathan's run... pretty cool stuff. He had consistent 1.3g turns and a spike of 1.54 without spinning. For reference I've never seen a number that high on my data logger. The BFG guy swears it hit 120something but the GPS data says just over 117. For comparison I hit 96 and Dave hit 111.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/dcd7kk-1.jpg

David Pozzi
02-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Nathan gave me an awesome ride! He was way braver powersliding the car & hit the brakes HARD! I thought we were going to clip the wall at start finish, he was gassing it so hard in 2nd gear in a drift.
Steve, email me his and my runfile off the data card.
David

Steve1968LS2
02-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Nathan gave me an awesome ride! He was way braver powersliding the car & hit the brakes HARD! I thought we were going to clip the wall at start finish, he was gassing it so hard in 2nd gear in a drift.
Steve, email me his and my runfile off the data card.
David

Ok.. I need to find your best run.. I think it was on Sunday even though you were down 1mph in top speed.. I haven't figured out yet how to overlay and compare.. thanks for making my car look good out there.. sorry you had harder front tires on Sunday.

On the session where you looped it (and got the pink hat) I show your next lap was a 106.711 ... I don't know if they were timing those though. I was all sort of anarchy on when they were and weren't counting times. Oh,you had a peak RPM once of 7,388... lol.. stop that!

I will send you a few files

David Pozzi
02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Wow! I wonder where that happened? Missed shift? Or maybe a downshift too early m

Steve1968LS2
02-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Wow! I wonder where that happened? Missed shift? Or maybe a downshift too early m

I think you just missed a shift.. no biggie.. the engine can take a couple of those.. ;)

The data is pretty cool.. you can even see your spin on there.. amazing tech.

Nessumsar
03-01-2011, 09:13 AM
I downloaded the track data from Nathan's run... pretty cool stuff. He had consistent 1.3g turns and a spike of 1.54 without spinning. For reference I've never seen a number that high on my data logger. The BFG guy swears it hit 120something but the GPS data says just over 117. For comparison I hit 96 and Dave hit 111.

Wow, I don't feel so bad about my 93mph! I would have thought you guys would have been a bunch faster, weird.

1.3Gs is a bunch, makes me want to get a G-meter of some sort!

6'9"Witha69
03-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Steve, watching Nathan tear it up was truly epic. But he knows that course better than any of us, so it would stand to reason that he could drive anything faster than anyone, even Dave. I love that course. The transition out of the sweeper was harsh (if you took a logical line) and the back side was very tricky in 1 spot.

I was tipping 91 mph. Could have gone more if I grabbed one more gear, but it would have been a quick up for a few mph them right back down before the chicane. I learned my little HHR is much faster than I thought, but still has a very high COG!

DFRESH
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Watching Nathan run those laps in your car when we were standing there watching was an amazing site. The starting line turn was just amazing as he would just blacktrack the entire front straight to the first chicane section---I couldn't believe he did it every single lap. It's amazing what experience and a good car can do---that was a memory book moment for me for sure. I'd love to see some video from outside the car --from a spectators perspective---to relive the moment again.

Doug