PDA

View Full Version : My hack fab skills

dennis68
06-08-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm getting closer...got the PHB mounts welded up yesterday. Ordered the wrong bar length. DOH, I guess I'm waiting a few more days to see how much of a difference this thing is going to make. Keep the smart ass comments about conflicting roll centers by installing a PHB with C4L at the same time to a minimal, this in preparation for the 3-link.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

F70t/a
06-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Looks great :headbang:

MrQuick
06-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Not too bad for a hacker! he he...now how are you gonna fassen it without bolts? LOL Hey did you figure your UL frame mount yet?

brianj5600
06-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Looks good. Is the rear hanging or supported in the top pic? The bottom pic appears to be on the ground. Are you going to be able to get the phb level with those frame brackets?

yody
06-08-2005, 06:19 PM
WOW@@@$$%%$#@@#@
HOLD THE PHONE!!!! are those "BOLT ON" upper control arms??? What in the heck are those doing on your car?? I knew you were a bolt on king! lets see your polyurethane bushings next! Never can you speak down on bolt on parts forever and on as of today!

on another note, are you using a flux core welder? who made the brackets? looks decent for a bolt on king.

EDIT:
Wait, hold on here.....since you bought those brackets, this wouldn't be considered Fab work, this should be in the boogery welding forum :bananna2:

dennis68
06-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Hey did you figure your UL frame mount yet?
Nope...any ideas?

Is the rear hanging or supported in the top pic? The bottom pic appears to be on the ground. Are you going to be able to get the phb level with those frame brackets?All pics are at ground level. Using the the top axle mount the bar will be level, or close enough. The rear is coming down another inch

HOLD THE PHONE!!!! are those "BOLT ON" upper control arms??? What in the heck are those doing on your car??
Yep, pretty much the only non factory part on the entire car that didn't require some level of fabrication or "persuasion" to make fit. Just couldn't see how I could build them any better. Edlebrock did a fantastic job.

are you using a flux core welder? who made the brackets?Half ass crappy mig, made 3 passes to make sure they don't go anywhere (also welding between the axle and the fuel tank upside down-not real comfortable). Losing a PHB mount mid turn at 60MPH+ would make for a very bad day. The axle mounts are Speedway pieces, I made the frame mounts.

this should be in the boogery welding forum I can stack nickels as well as the next guy when I am being judged on it, fortunately my welding teacher doesn't check my suspension welds.

yody
06-08-2005, 10:02 PM
I know just giving you a hard time, when i welded my subframe connectors, I didn't grind back the welds enough and the coating kept melting and dripping into the weld.....not the prettiest thing, so i double passed it and put bolts through! Time to get some serious welders! I will be paying attention to your 3 link build, I think i might have a 3 link in the future(different car)

Mean 69
06-09-2005, 06:55 AM
That looks great, Den, nicely done. If you can, you might consider a psuedo triangualtion on the axle bracket, like maybe a small piece of tubing going from the outside of the bracket, at a 45 degree down to the axle tube. You'd be surpised how much force hits that puppy. Hard to tell if you have room around the shock. The brand "G" PHB for the late model Mustangs is notorious for breaking in this area.

Likewise, I'd think about triangulating the frame mount as well. Did you figure where the RCH is (obviously, silly question)?

Mark

dennis68
06-09-2005, 09:24 AM
That looks great, Den, nicely done. Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.
If you can, you might consider a psuedo triangualtion on the axle bracket, like maybe a small piece of tubing going from the outside of the bracket, at a 45 degree down to the axle tube. I'm already on it, same bracing you describe.

Likewise, I'd think about triangulating the frame mount as well.I'm thinking of running some tubing from just above the PHB itself on the left side back to the right side frame rail.
Did you figure where the RCH is (obviously, silly question)? Yeah, silly question. It's at 11", I would have liked it a little lower but I'm kind of set on that frame bracket. Of all the templates I built that was by far the strongest. I like that it is braced by both the side and bottom of the frame rail. Unfortueantly it necessitated being a little short to maintain it's integrity. Is it strong....It tweaked a little during the weld and used a 5 lbs mini sledge to "correct" it. It wasn't easy to move.

JJSmitches
06-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Hey dont you have some spacers that you use on those LCAs? I am preparing to get my car back together and am trying decide what I am going to run for rear suspension that is either off the shelf or requires so little fab work that even I can accomplish it! OBTW, Cheap too.

protour_chevelle
06-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Dennis,

Whats with your status? I'm trying to PM you. I'm already planning what I need for over winter... Hint hint(front suspension which you sent specs on, and the rear)

-Matt

sinned
06-21-2005, 09:15 PM
At Yodi's request here is an update. I installed the bar and have an opportunity to drive it on the street for abaout a week. It feels much lower to drive due to the lower RRCH and it corners much flatter. I try and time my left turns at the lights to hit them at the speed limit. Sooooo much more fun to turn now, kinda the same rush the 1/4 mile guys get at launch I would imagine. I can't wait for mid July, need to work on carb tuning now. Here is the pic I took after installing the bar but before adjusting the axle bracket height.

I still need to add some stiffeners to the axle bracket and triangulate the frame brace to the opposite side...but it works for now.

yody
06-21-2005, 09:17 PM
COOL! glad it worked out for you, hope to see the bondomobile in action July! how is the front swaybar working out, still have the oversteer?

sinned
06-21-2005, 09:31 PM
COOL! glad it worked out for you, hope to see the bondomobile in action July! how is the front swaybar working out, still have the oversteer?
Nope....well I have an easier time with throttle steer now. :3gears:

MrQuick
06-21-2005, 09:34 PM
You closet Drifter you! LOL

David Sloan
06-22-2005, 02:50 AM
(You closet drifter you! ) qoute MrQuick!

Now thats funny LOL! I dont care who you are if you didnt laugh at that you should leave! LOL! LOL!

CAMAROBOY69
06-22-2005, 03:52 AM
That turned out great and thanks for posting pics. That coil over rear suspension must ride REAL nice!

yody
06-22-2005, 10:28 AM
i don't see any coilovers? or do you mean the stock type "coilover" suspension that all the A bodies have?