PDA

View Full Version : Oil fill?

DarkoNova
02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
How are you guys with performance intakes and aftermarket valve covers putting oil in your engines? When my Nova had the old 283 with the stock intake, it had a nice little tube by the thermostat for adding oil. Now on my 350 I have a Performer intake manifold with no tube, and both valve covers are baffled, so pouring oil is painfully slow.

I've thought about removing one of the baffles just to make it easier to pour oil, but I didn't want to interfere with the PCV/breather system. If I did remove a baffle, it'd be on the cover that just has a breather. Would that be ok or does the breather need a baffle?

theRG
02-24-2011, 03:43 PM
If I'm reading you right your setup is a breather on each v/c and an oil fill on 1, if so try pulling the breather on the v/c with the oil fill.

DarkoNova
02-25-2011, 01:57 PM
No, I have one baffled hole in each cover. The passenger side cover has a breather in it, driver side has the pcv valve. When I fill it with oil, I take out the pcv valve and slowly trickle the oil into the hole.

gkring
02-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Take off a valve cover and add a oil fill cap? You may also consider a remote breather/catch can so that you can delete the baffles in the valve covers. Makes for a much cleaner motor as there is no misting out the breathers. I had a 8 quart pan on my race motor and it took forever to get 20w50 down a -10 fitting to my remote catch can. Often I found it easier to pull the cam sensor instead since it was very easy to reset.
Not my car, but here's an example
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/7209040113_medium-1.jpg

Bryce
02-26-2011, 07:03 AM
I welded a bung onto the valve covers and have a large oring sealed plug. I think I bought it from moroso.