PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket EFI + catalytic converters + CA legal

JJEH
02-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Okay Guys, the title is confusing. Sorry for that!

I wonder if it's possible to equip a 350ci (and up) engine with EFI and 2 catalytic converter and do it CA streel legal?

I'm asking for a specific reason for "older" engines which were equiped with a carburator from the manufacturer.

In Germany you can get aftermarket cat. converters for some older cars and it's legal, but we don't deal with 5.7 Litres an up that much... so I don't really have that much experience with it...

Anyways, I kind of like Holley's STEALTH RAM™ MPFI system. But the footnote says:

The product accompanying this document is legal only for off-highway use (except in California or states that have adopted California emission standards), racing use, or for use on pre-emission- controlled motor vehicles/motor vehicle engines (pre-1966 domestic vehicles certified to California standards, pre-1968 domestic vehicles certified to federal standards, and all pre-1968 foreign vehicles), per the manufacturer's application guide.

The Holley Avenger Multi–Point EFI system says the same.

So what to do if I wanna have a California legal EFI??
Or do I understand it wrong?

I'm confused honestly...

Thanks for any help!

Ollie8974
02-24-2011, 04:58 AM
Usually vehicles over 20 years old are exempt from emission testing. If you are not in the state of California don't worry about it.

Bryce
02-24-2011, 06:37 AM
California cars 75 an older do not need to be smogged every other year. All CA cars need to have the stock smog items, regardless of the year it was built. 66 and newer cars need to be smogged when selling; but know one does this.

JJEH
02-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Alright... thanks for your comments so far.

Right now it's a little early to be concrete because everything exist in my head only.
But my thought was to build (or let build) a fuel injected engine with cat. converters...

May I will come back with this question to a later time...