PDA

View Full Version : In over my head

skigoose
02-21-2011, 09:31 AM
First let me start by saying I have restored several cars over my short 41 years on this big ball of dirt.

I have always want to do a pro-touring Charger, and when the opportunity presented itself I jumpped in with both feet and my check book. I am waiting for the body to arrive back at my home, and then all the drivetrain componets from Bouchillion will be arriving in the next weeks (6.1 hemi, alterKtion, Willwood brakes, new fuel tank, and all the other nessary stuff) I have smoothed the firewall, and bought the american auto wiring, XV subframe connectors, etc.

I have now put myself in a situation that I have to do the work, as the money is very thin right now.

I guess the question is AM I IN OVER MY HEAD?????

scherp69
02-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Probably...but that's what makes it fun. Now get over it and get to work. :lmao: Seriously though, good luck with the build and make sure to take lots of pics. :postpics: :cheers:

jy211
02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
and ask ton's of questions here. maybe some members in the area may come by and observe the construction LOL

go-fish
02-21-2011, 11:44 AM
At least you have the car and plenty of parts to start slapping on. That's the fun part anyway, right? For my 'Cuda, the plan has always been to spend what I have budgeted as soon as possible. Then I have another long period of building up of the funds again.
In my eyes, if I waited until I had every cent it took to get it done all at once I would find something that was actually important to spend that money on, like paying off my car and contributing more to my retirement!

martin 1768
02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Nice parts just makes it a lot more fun and a better result in the end.
:pics2:

tommycomfort
02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Go for it! I hate to use this used up line, but "how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time".
Tom

67zo6Camaro
02-21-2011, 11:29 PM
You are never in over your head until you give up... Think of it this way, some person with two arms... a brain and the will is working on your car for you (but you are paying him). He may have a slight learning curve advantage, but I did not see you post that you don't have any arms and/or a brain.... You are as capable as the next guy... and this site is one of the best for learning. Every builder and/or hobbiest has to start somewhere. Yes it may be overwhelming sometimes....but that's the challange. Take your time... buy some tools along the way... ask questions. Do a little trial and error learning... even stop by some local builders shop on a regular basis to visually learn... Make friends and be proud of your new project. Man, I can tell you this much from experience... you will have alot more pride in your ride when you do some of the work youself.... not to mention some more money in your pocket.

PM me with any questions small or big or send me an Email at [email protected].

It's really what the hobby is all about. My ride took 5 years and was accomblished with 95% of my labor... some learned as I went. I went as far as taking a tig welding class and eventually getting a job at a cuvstom chassis shop for a year. I love the hobby so much that I even sidelined my 18 year old Appraiser career to spend more time.... you know just building stuff.

Brett

go-fish
02-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Plus, every part you mentioned is a bolt on deal except for sub frame connectors (and I think you'll find you should just do square tubing instead). Start bolting all that stuff on and by the time you're done you'll have saved up enough scratch to start shopping again.

skigoose
02-26-2011, 05:42 AM
Thanks all, I needed that....

dadto2jays
02-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Very simple one thing at a time everyday...consistance beats resistance!!!!

wellis77
02-26-2011, 06:12 PM
If you think you're in over your head, check out my thread. I'm so far out of my league that I forget which sport I'm playing... I just keep plugging away though; it'll get done, someday. Heed the advice, buy some tools, learn as you go, ask a lot of questions, check out some shops, make friends... You've got a good list of parts and shouldn't be too challenging since most bolt in. Don't forget to take pics along the way, I do and I'm still kicking myself.

Ishmael
02-26-2011, 08:04 PM
You have a clean car and most of the big parts. You're not over your head you're in a fantastic place many of us wish we were in - not California, I was speaking figuratively. But seriously. Sounds like you've got an awesome start and you've come to the right place. I'm excited for you and I don't even know you.

Scarab z
02-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Keep chugging along. You're 100+% ahead of of the population that always says "I'm going to restore it one day", and that day isn't ever going to come.

Look at the build as several small packages, work on one area at a time, divide and conquer