PDA

View Full Version : I need some help on the transmission connectors for TKO 500/600 Neutral safety switch

Ripped
02-19-2011, 06:10 PM
I've had some ongoing issues with the neutral safety switch pins, which you connect to, for the TKO neutral safety switch.

I made one set of crimp connectors, which went on to the transmission, they were metal push on connectors, that I made myself. The problem which I ran into, after running the car for a while, is that when the metal got hot, the connectors expanded, and the contact was lost. The car would not start, so I had to bypass the switch wiring.

This was not difficult, but still a PITA.

I contacted the transmission supplier, and he stated that there was no factory connector, which he stocked that was available.

The pins are similar to, what you would find for a push on connector, for an oil pressure sensor, or a water temp sensor. A little larger in diameter, but ribbed. Unfortunately not threaded, so I can't spin on a nut and washer.

SO second go around, I made connectors from a set of extra connectors, which I had from a spark plug wiring set. I reduced the diameter of the contacts, slid on some spring retaining rings over the contacts, to maintain pressure, when they expanded from heat. Heat shrinked the whole thing.

This worked very good for about 4 months, now the same thing is happening again.

I like the idea of the neutral safety switch.

Has anyone got an idea, where to get a proper connector made for this transmission, OR where I can get a set of these slide on pin connectors, that are the size, which will work.

Thanks a lot for any help on this PITA issue.

lutzy
03-09-2011, 08:38 PM
the pins arent threaded? If they werent I would get a tap and die set and thread the pins. Then I would use a wire loop connector and nut. Problem solved.