PDA

View Full Version : Engine Dilemma, What to do?? LS or 383

fireboy68
02-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm a little new to posting and i just wanted a little input. I'm having a dilemma. First question is what is a New 383/400hp engine worth these days? I guess I would have to list the internal parts for people to know huh? Next is what is a good price for a LS package? Has anyone made the switch and is it worth it?

I have all the specs on the engine, supposed to put out over 400hp. I already have a 6 speed transmission, is it worth it to start over or should I just keep going with what i have?

Its going in a 68 camaro with Art Morrison Front end, and Chris Alston G-bar rear.

Thanks for the help!

Scott Parkhurst
02-17-2011, 09:33 AM
I've had to mull this over myself. The engines are about equal in price, as $6,500 or so will get you a nice rebuilt 383 or a complete LS. The hard part is in the swap stuff.

Motor mounts, headers, crossmembers, belt-driven accessories, oil pan etc. All the stuff it'll take to both hook that LS up to the 6-speed you've got (if it's a T56, you'll have to swap input shafts. Not free) and get it in the car. Once it's in the car, you'll have to get the computer tweaked for the best-possible performance (also an issue if the 383 is EFI).

So, if you're willing and able to get all the goodies it'll take to swap in the LS, by all means do so. The benefits and power potential are worth the effort if the budget will support it. Down the road a few years, it'll still be a viable and worthwhile investment.

If the budget is tight, the 383 is a no-brainer install and will surely deliver solid power reliably for many miles. You really can't go wrong either way, it just depends on what you really want and can afford right now.

67jami
02-17-2011, 10:03 AM
I agree with Scott. I was faced with almost the exact dilema and went with the LS motor only after I knew I could afford to spend a little more and had help with the installation. Also, I wanted EFI on my 383 which pushed the price closer to LS territory and made the decision a little easier.

fireboy68
02-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks alot guys!!
I like the thought, good point about EFI, i definitaly want it. I think im gonna try to sell the 383 with 6 speed and just jump into the LS. I think in the long run it will be a better bang for the buck and much happier. I'm still early enough in the build where i can swap if i wanted to, i have always thought the 383 was the way to go, but the technology is crazy now days.Thanks for your time, i just need a kick in the right direction.

It's taken 3-1/2 years to get this far, what's another one right? :hammer:

hifi875
02-17-2011, 05:24 PM
can't go wrong with a ls period.

77thor
02-19-2011, 07:35 AM
I've been having the same thoughts with my car... I will go with an LSx at some point in time(when I have the cash).
Mileage, horsepower... what's not to like.

fireboy68
02-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks alot guys for your time. I sold the 383, now its time to step it up and go LS. I'm stepping out of my comfort zone, i hope its worth it. :)

WS6
02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
It will be :) Just be patient and ask questions if you need help. If my LT1 wasn't already EFI, I wouldn't be staying with it.