PDA

View Full Version : Who is running a BMR Torque Arm for a First Gen Camaro

LUACE
02-15-2011, 10:22 PM
The BMR Torque Arm seems like a great product, but it doesn't seem like many people on this site are using this product. Being that it is 100% bolt on i would assume they would be a more popular... I am looking for some feedback from people who previously/currently use this product. Any pros and cons? Ride comfort? Performance? Complications? thanks for any feedback (good or bad).

censo69
02-16-2011, 08:08 AM
BUMP As I am looking for the same info.

johnny68
02-16-2011, 08:49 PM
check speed tech or talk to blake from speed tech hell answer any ??
john

fletcherscustoms
02-17-2011, 05:05 AM
I run one on my second gen and love it, and have sold a ton in the last couple months

LUACE
02-17-2011, 07:12 PM
I run one on my second gen and love it, and have sold a ton in the last couple months

Thanks for the feedback. What coil overs are you running? how is ride comfort and performance?

fletcherscustoms
02-18-2011, 04:58 AM
The standard coilvers we run are Double adjustables from AFCO, we sell those with every kit 95% of the time. I personally run AFCO double adjustable mono tube , nitrogen charged, remote REservoir coilovers. There a nice upgrade above the std offering.

Ride is great, my car saw 2500 street miles in less than 4 week, before the motor went south. But everyone I have sold a kit to ( thats a bunch) have loved, the ease of install, ride quality, handling, and great all around performance the package gives. Plus with the pricing I can do and the service I can offer you after the fact, there really isn't a better choice on the marker

ErikLS2
02-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Considering one of these for my 1st gen. What about exhasut size and routing it around that watts link?
What's ground clearance like under that third member? Will these work with Global West frame connectors?

Bryce
02-18-2011, 07:21 AM
The standard coilvers we run are Double adjustables from AFCO, we sell those with every kit 95% of the time. I personally run AFCO double adjustable mono tube , nitrogen charged, remote REservoir coilovers. There a nice upgrade above the std offering.

Ride is great, my car saw 2500 street miles in less than 4 week, before the motor went south. But everyone I have sold a kit to ( thats a bunch) have loved, the ease of install, ride quality, handling, and great all around performance the package gives. Plus with the pricing I can do and the service I can offer you after the fact, there really isn't a better choice on the marker

AFCO shocks are great!

whytry
02-21-2011, 10:43 AM
I'd like to get more feedback on this setup as well for exhaust routing, driveablility, etc. I am in the proces of building my combo and was leaning heavily towards the G-gar setup, but I love the bolt in install.... I'm not the best welder for the 4 link brackets...

But I also want to be able to run a 3" x-pipe and exhaust out the rear, which I know can be done with the G-bar.....

pics would help too!

fletcherscustoms
02-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Exhaust is one of the harder things on any watts link setup. The x-pipe will take some work to get to work as you have the torque arm running down the center where you would normally crossover the pipes. As far as routing out the back, its possible as BMR has done on there test car. But its full custom job that requires a good bit work. There is clearance for 3" to go over the axle. I personally had mind dumped before the rear, but during the rebuild going on this spring it will go all teh way to the back but will go under the rear like Finch does on his cars.

BMR Tech
02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
We have built over the axle exhausts for two different cars using our Torque arm kit just to make sure it was possible. There is plenty of room for a 2.5" exhaust and, although I haven't tried it yet, I am pretty sure I can get a 3" exhaust up and over the axle (I will be trying it on my own 2nd gen). The following pics are from one of the cars after it completed the 2009 Power Tour so please excuse the dirt! Additionally, at the time we were experimenting with various Watts linkages for packaging purposes. The links shown in this pre-launch design were bent however the actual product uses straight linkages which actually free up a little more exhaust room. This was a stock wheelwell car, the other we did was a mini-tubbed car with a narrowed tank.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/IMG_1801JPG-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/IMG_1788JPG-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/IMG_1799JPG-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/IMG_1809JPG-1.jpg

whytry
02-21-2011, 01:10 PM
I would be happy with running it over the axle then turndown is fine I understands it is a little harder to work around the Watts link setup.... I just dont want the drone from turndowns (had it for a long time)

DO you have any pics of the minitubbed car? and do you know of any obstacles in the way of running your setup and airbags? I am leaning towards replacing the coilovers with the bags, either shockwaves or make my own brackets with a bag (like I've done before on other vehicles)

And lastly any pics of it on the ground at ride height? I want to get an idea of low it hands down.... From the behind pic it looks like it hangs down a good 2" below the mufflers...

BMR Tech
02-21-2011, 02:10 PM
I would be happy with running it over the axle then turndown is fine I understands it is a little harder to work around the Watts link setup.... I just dont want the drone from turndowns (had it for a long time)

DO you have any pics of the minitubbed car? and do you know of any obstacles in the way of running your setup and airbags? I am leaning towards replacing the coilovers with the bags, either shockwaves or make my own brackets with a bag (like I've done before on other vehicles)

And lastly any pics of it on the ground at ride height? I want to get an idea of low it hands down.... From the behind pic it looks like it hangs down a good 2" below the mufflers...

The behind pic does a poor job of showing the ground clearance, the angle makes it look much worse than it is. The mufflers are still the lowest hanging part on the car and they are tucked up as high as they will go. Unfortunately we had a server crash last summer that lost a ton of our images (now we have triple backup, btw) so I no longer have the pictures of the mini-tubbed car's exhaust. This was the car though, at least it can give you an idea of how low you can get the car with the torque arm suspension. This car had 20" wheels in the back with a 28" tall tire, a traditional 18" with a 26" tall tire will get your rocker height even lower...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/IMG_7481JPG-1.jpg

whytry
02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
THX Brett!! That clears up some questions I have. Good pic too btw!!

Nothingface5384
02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
I like the fact that the speed tech has the articu-link" lower control arms, ...like the fact that the bmr has a watts and not a panhard bar..
both look like they're made well

anarchy99
02-21-2011, 04:47 PM
I've been running the watts link, torque arm setup for awhile on my 69. I haven't had any ground clearance problems or unusual problems. It is a solid feeling setup that I think handles well on the street. AFCO double adjustable shocks in the rear. I had the exhaust dumped before the rear axle but it gets old real quick with normal street driving and makes the car rediculously dirty every time you crank it up. It's turned down right before the axle. I just saved the pics that BMR posted regarding their exhaust routing and will be doing that after deployment.

BMR Tech
02-24-2011, 04:09 PM
I've been running the watts link, torque arm setup for awhile on my 69. I haven't had any ground clearance problems or unusual problems. It is a solid feeling setup that I think handles well on the street. AFCO double adjustable shocks in the rear. I had the exhaust dumped before the rear axle but it gets old real quick with normal street driving and makes the car rediculously dirty every time you crank it up. It's turned down right before the axle. I just saved the pics that BMR posted regarding their exhaust routing and will be doing that after deployment.

We are always looking for feedback on our product, thanks for your response. When you get your exhaust finished please post some pics. Thanks!

anarchy99
02-24-2011, 08:14 PM
We are always looking for feedback on our product, thanks for your response. When you get your exhaust finished please post some pics. Thanks!

Will do.