PDA

View Full Version : Putting a pontaic right

Ishmael
06-07-2005, 02:18 PM
This might be better suited for the engines section but I'll try here:
I've got a 68 bird with a chev 350. I want to put a pontiac 400 or 455 in it. How do I go about it? Is it all new brackets for things like the power steering and new frame motor mounts (I know I'll need new ones on the motor side) or will what I have work? I know I'll need a BOP tranny. The engine would either be an early 70's 455 or a 78 400. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've seen pontiac to chev swaps but never back to original.

astroracer
06-07-2005, 03:27 PM
You best course of action would be to find a complete car. The frame mounts for all of the Pontiac blocks are the same for the F bodies. I am not sure what difference there would be between 1st & 2nd Gen mounts. Of course you could always make or modify a frame tower. Just set the motor at the right height so the hood will close and fab away...
Mark

79TransAm
06-07-2005, 06:00 PM
i work at an auto parts store, i will check tommorow to see about those mounts, im fairly sure that they're all the same for all ponchos except the 265 and 301. I have a T/H350 short style outta a 80 TTA(missing the tailshaft) I'm asking $200ish. Might not be worth the shipping costs to canada though... Since its already missing the matching #'s trans id say go with the 455(There's no replacment for displacment). If ya need any more help just pm, ill see what i can dig up. You are (I'm 99% sure) gonna have to change the brackets and all for the p/s a/c and all the accesories. best resto sites are:
www.amesperformance.com (http://www.amesperformance.com/)
http://performanceyears.com/newsite/index.html
www.yearone.com (http://www.yearone.com/)
www.npdlink.com (http://www.npdlink.com/)

For performance try:
http://www.pontiacpower.com/ (Best out there IMO)
No offense meant to anyone, but theres nothing thats gets me more angry than someone pulling the poncho powerplant of a poncho and dropping in a chevy or a ford motor, especially in a classic like a 68 bird.

67bird
06-07-2005, 10:52 PM
The first thing you will need is the frame mounts. These are available new now from place like the paddock and classic industries. You will then need the actual motor mounts a firebird. The hardest part will probably be finding the bolts for mounts (The ones that are threaded into the block). Your transmission mount will be the same. As far as the accessaries, the power steering pump can probably be reused (If you have it already), as well as the alternator ( It may need reclocked). The brackets you use will really depend on the timing cover of the motor that you use. I would stick to a 69' thru 79' cover because it has the most options for aftermarket waterpumps, pulleys, and such. And you will either need a pontiac bellhousing or transmission depending on you set-up. I may be missing a few things, but these will get you started.

Ishmael
06-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys. Let me get it straight: if I go this way I'm looking at firebird frame and motor mounts, the same accesories-I assume with firebird brackets and BOP tranny with the same mount. Hoses are going to be different and I hear the gas line comes up on the drivers side. Anything else? If this is all there is to it (welding bothers me - I suck at it) I'll try to find a poncho I can afford (read "real cheap").

astroracer
06-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Battery location is also reversed from Chevy to Pontiac because the starters are on opposite sides of the block. If you trunk mount the battery this is not an issue...
Mark

67bird
06-13-2005, 04:14 PM
I think the battery remains in the same spot, the Pontiac just uses a long cable from the passenger side to the driver side. It is clamped to the frame. Also, you will need first gen frame mounts and motor mounts. The second gen mount bolts to the frame, there is a metal bracket that bolts to the motor. A long bolt runs throught the mount and this bracket. It is completely different then what you need. If you look at this month High Performance Pontiac magazine there is a picture of the frame mounts on page 8. Also, Year One sell a parts supplement that has all of parts used on a 67 firebird listed by part number as well as some great assembly pictures. It shows the mounts and the attaching hardware. I think you would be better off to buy the frame mounts and motor mounts rather than fab them up. You could probably order the mounts and frame mounts and have less than $100.00 in it. Then at least you could unbolt it if you changed your mind.

Hammered
06-13-2005, 07:07 PM
You don't need a parts car. The frame mounts are now available from Classic Industries and other parts houses as mentioned above. The rubber motor mounts are available from your local parts store. You can get an aftermarket alt. & other brackets from Rodney Red or March Performance. The battery location and radiator stay the same, hoses and cables will be different. The fuel line was two piece to accomodate the V8 (driver's side attach). The single line terminated on the passenger side for the I-6. You likely have it in place still and can get the short, second piece through a repro parts house.

The 400 or 455 would make a great build. Go for it!

John

Ishmael
06-29-2005, 06:14 PM
That's got me headed in the right direction. By the way John I checked out your site - looks good so far. My loooooooong term goals also include a fuel injected 455. Someday.
Thanks again guys.

Hammered
07-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Ishmael,

Thanks, let me know if I can help you out with your conversion.

John