PDA

View Full Version : Ridetech bags can i switch to their coilovers?

1970 TT Rustang
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
I have ride tech air ride setup with their upper and lower control arms and 4 link in the rear. I saw they just came out with coilovers, can i do a direct swap out without any mods. Or can i use other coilovers?
Has anyone tryed this?
Thanks

GRNOVA
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
I have done this in December
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

L & H Kustoms
02-13-2011, 11:42 PM
I have ride tech air ride setup with their upper and lower control arms and 4 link in the rear. I saw they just came out with coilovers, can i do a direct swap out without any mods. Or can i use other coilovers?
Has anyone tryed this?
Thanks

Is your kit running their shockwaves or bags? If you are using the shockwaves it is a direct boltin for the coilovers. I have a special going on right now on Ridetech products with free shipping as well.

1970 TT Rustang
02-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Iam running the air bags that ride tech gave me with the kit. I would have to say they are shockwaves. the kit i picked up about 4 years ago when they were air ride technolgys.

L & H Kustoms
02-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Iam running the air bags that ride tech gave me with the kit. I would have to say they are shockwaves. the kit i picked up about 4 years ago when they were air ride technolgys.

Just sent you a pm regarding price for upgrade

hessdawg
02-17-2011, 09:39 PM
why do you wanna change out the shockwaves ???

1970 TT Rustang
02-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Honestly there is nothing wrong with them, i just want to go with something a little less simple. iam running a dfi, turbos, gearvenders unit it makes for a mess under the dash and the trunk. i might put it up for sale ( the air ride setup that is , no control arms)

JRouche
02-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Honestly there is nothing wrong with them, i just want to go with something a little less simple. iam running a dfi, turbos, gearvenders unit it makes for a mess under the dash and the trunk. i might put it up for sale ( the air ride setup that is , no control arms)

A lil "less" simple? Or more simple?

I personally would like to hear the opinions from you and GRNOVA after the swap.

I have the shockwaves in place and every so often think about ditching them for a simpler coilover. But so far I love them.. JR

marolf101x
02-21-2011, 04:23 AM
1970 TT Rustang,
I apologize for hijacking this thread. I felt a lot of people would benefit from a quick explanation of how our systems work.

JRouche,
If you'd like a much more in depth explanation and subsequent discussion please send me a PM and we can talk on the phone.

e3 air pressure only and e3 Level Pro were developed side-by-side from beginning. We did not come out with the Level Pro later.
We have to build a controller that works on every vehicle ever made by a major auto manufacturer as well as anything someone dreamed up in their garage. We have to do this at a reasonable price point; hence the two options.
80% of the vehicles out there will function properly running on air pressure only (within +/-7psi and +/- 0.50"). The other 20% need level sensors as the air pressure is not directly relational to suspension travel. . .it's close, but not perfect.

So think about this, you have two vehicles a first gen Camaro and a Dually pick-up truck.
The first gen Camaro uses a small air spring in the rear which has a ride height pressure of around 90psi. The pick-up uses a very large air spring in the rear with a ride height pressure around 35psi.
If you deflate the Camaro 2-inches, the pressure drops to around 30psi. If you deflate the pick-up 2-inches the pressure drops to only 28psi. How does the logic overcome this? Simple, you build in a Calibration so the system inflates and deflates and measures the time the valve was open to how much the pressure changed. The customer has to set preset #2 (Ride height) so we take time measurements from there as it's the most important. You can then use this information to calculate how long to open the valve to reach your desired pressure (you cannot watch the pressures in the air springs while inflating as you see tank pressure, so you have to calculate how long to open the valves, then stop and check, and make another pass if needed).

Now, let's say you get through Calibration, and decide to change your Ride Height preset. The data you just collected is no longer good. The system must now test it's self each time a preset command is asked of it. If it doesn't reach the desired preset when the data says it should, it has to re-write that data. So if you change things after Calibration you'll need to run the system up and down a few times so it can adapt.

For the best possible operation your presets need to be as follows:
#1-Low
#2-Ride
#3-High

So why add level sensors, or why don't you just use level sensors only?
It's all about information. The more information the computer receives, the more accurate it can be. As I stated earlier, there are a number of vehicles out there that are crap on air pressure only (tri-5 Chevys are notoriously difficult to level on air only due to the inherent suspension bind). For these vehicles you need more information than just air pressure.
When you add level sensors to the package you now know exactly where your suspension is in space. You can still use the rate-of-change to tell you how fast or slow a vehicle moves, but you can now watch the vehicle level "in real time", thereby giving you much better control over vehicle height.

We feel very strongly that you must use air pressure sensors as well as level sensors (not just level sensors alone). There are a lot of vehicles that can raise the vehicle to the proper ride height with only two cross-car air springs (a LF and RR, for example). Though the level sensors are satisfied at all four corners, your pressures are dramatically different, meaning your spring rates are no where near close to each other. This is a VERY dangerous situation. By watching level and air pressure we can actually calculate the load (or spring rate) at each air spring.

quikws6
02-21-2011, 04:57 AM
I just went through the decision process when putting together my air ride kit for my 1967. After lots of research I ended up going with the Accuair air management set up. Received my order and the **** is top notch. The Accuair set up is really well built and compact. A step above the ART stuff in my opinion. I do not see why people on this site don't use their stuff. I'll start a thread when I get my car finished up to show it all off.

JRouche
02-21-2011, 08:53 AM
1970 TT Rustang,
I apologize for hijacking this thread. I felt a lot of people would benefit from a quick explanation of how our systems work.

JRouche,
If you'd like a much more in depth explanation and subsequent discussion please send me a PM and we can talk on the phone.

First off thanks for the explanation. I love the whole concept for the system. Would love it more if it worked for me. And honestly. If I were given a heads up originally that the E3 might not work and I should go with the level Pro I would have gone that route. Too late now :(

Secondly. Im sorry I went all extreme hijacker with my post. I try not to do that. Guess I am a lil fired up. Ill remove what I wrote. Solly for the rant. JR

bret
02-21-2011, 10:30 AM
JRouche...don't apologize for your opinion, or feel it neccessary to edit your post. I think it is very relevant to a lot others here who are lurking but may not reply. It also allows us an opportunity to clarify for everyone - AND it teaches us what customers are thinking and what they want. ALL good!

Also...don't let Britt's detailed [and accurate] explanation scare you. In the real world, especially in a racing environment, the adjustability on an air system can be a powerful tuning tool. As for the automatic leveling functions...they can be turned off and on by the customer at the control panel at their discretion. Personally, when racing, I usually turn the auto level off because I have found an air pressure that my particular car likes on a particular track. That setting is sometimes slightly different than what I have programmed into the ECU for best ride quality. Since the next track may be even different again, I just use the manual controls and tune the suspension to make the car fast. When I am ready to drive home, I turn the auto leveling back on [along with the air conditioning] and cruise home.

Tech@Scotts
02-21-2011, 04:54 PM
I just went through the decision process when putting together my air ride kit for my 1967. After lots of research I ended up going with the Accuair air management set up. Received my order and the **** is top notch. The Accuair set up is really well built and compact. A step above the ART stuff in my opinion. I do not see why people on this site don't use their stuff. I'll start a thread when I get my car finished up to show it all off. Actually the Ridetech E3 offers a few useful features that the Accuair kit lacks 1 of which is a visual display the E3 has transflective visual display that is menu driven which makes it extremely user friendly and easier to function along with the trouble shoot feature which show up incase of an air leak, low voltage, bad ground etc. 2 the e3 offers both pressure and height reading which is important when achieving ride height and proper rate imediately (I don't care what any one says pressure and height readings are important) 3 The e3 is an active learning system which becomes more and more accurate as time goes by...
Also keep in mind Air Ride Tech./ Ridetech is a complete suspension manufacture that has been doing this for almost 2 decades with thousands of hrs. behind the wheel both on the track and streets during this time they have compiled all there testing and knowledge and made the best posible, easiest to use control system on the market...

JRouche
02-21-2011, 09:50 PM
JRouche...don't apologize for your opinion, or feel it neccessary to edit your post.

I usually dont. But I didnt post with much tack. More hijack and poor me type crap. Not cool.

What it comes down to is, if I really want to get the use out of the system that I need I should buy the level pro computer, controller and sensors. It should incorporate just fine with the other parts of the shockwave system I have.

So instead of me coming on here pissin and moaning I need to step up or shut up. Thats the right thing to do.

And really, I really DO love the shockwaves. My car handles SO well its kinda scary. Thanks for the reply. JR

quikws6
02-22-2011, 05:53 AM
Actually the Ridetech E3 offers a few useful features that the Accuair kit lacks 1 of which is a visual display the E3 has transflective visual display that is menu driven which makes it extremely user friendly and easier to function along with the trouble shoot feature which show up incase of an air leak, low voltage, bad ground etc. 2 the e3 offers both pressure and height reading which is important when achieving ride height and proper rate imediately (I don't care what any one says pressure and height readings are important) 3 The e3 is an active learning system which becomes more and more accurate as time goes by...

I will take it that you haven't done research or are not familiar with the Accuair setup as it also monitors tank pressure, voltage, and as well is a active learning system plus more.....

Tech@Scotts
02-22-2011, 08:10 AM
I will take it that you haven't done research or are not familiar with the Accuair setup as it also monitors tank pressure, voltage, and as well is a active learning system plus more.....I am more familiar with the Accuair and E3 than most. Tank pressure is not four corner pressure which is relevant when trying to obtain proper rate imediately not (eventually), also Accuair system uses a serries of flashing lights (could be confusing to most) rather than an easy to read visual display. dont get me wrong they have a nice set up and it is pretty, just lacking a few key features which I find important.