PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace One Lifter??

Josh69
08-30-2004, 07:43 AM
Well, after all my work getting the heads done and deciding to keep my XE294H cam and lifters in the engine, I finished setting the lash this weekend. As long as I had the manifold not on the car yet, I decided to watch all the lifters and make sure they were plunging properly, as well as rotating properly.

One of them doesn't rotate. I took it out, and found a very fine, barely perceptible groove worn into the bottom of the lifter. Presumably from not rotating and having the cam lobe wear into it. It's very fine and doesn't seem too bad yet. I put it in and it'll rotate then get 'stuck'. I tried a different lifter and it seemed to rotate fine. In fact, the bad lifter even rotated fine in a different hole as well. Bottom line, I want to replace the one lifter with the groove in it. Is this a good idea and should I? I don't really want to pull the cam and replace the whole bit, even though I have a new 280H sitting in my garage.

This engine and cam have around 1000 miles on them, and since a different lifter was able to rotate as it should, I presume the cam lobe is still fine and would provide for many miles of good service still.

Opinions?

MrQuick
08-30-2004, 08:17 AM
You can replace the one lifter, im just abit concerned about the cam cause they do wear evenly. Be sure to inspect it thoroghly. Summit should have a PN for one lifter.If not call Comp for it.