PDA

View Full Version : Delrin/Del-a-Lum vs. Polyurethane and Rubber

TheRoaringEagle
06-06-2005, 10:54 PM
I have a 67 Camaro with stock suspension up front. I wanted to rework the front suspension with some new parts. This is my daily driver and realistically I won't see any autocross or road courses for awhile (I'm in college). I do want my handling good and tight. In my situation would you guys recommend Del-a-Lum bushings or polyurethane or rubber? I'm not TOO concerned with ride quality, but if it's REAL bad then I'd like to know. Any opinions?

I am going to get the GW UCAs and mix it with Hotchkis 2" Lowering Coils (to match the rear 3 leafs), Edelbrock IAS shocks (again to match the rear), a Hotchkis sway bar, and way later a rack and pinion setup.

I want my setup to be realistic (budget) street performance that's better than stock. At least so I have some confidence that my car won't fall a part as it almost did earlier with my stock UCA bushing in front. (i like the GW UCAs because they're a good deal and have a castle nut to hold them on the shafts.

Thanks!

indyjps
06-06-2005, 11:35 PM
all info ive seen on the hotchkis 2" drop springs are that they lower the car too much. they are on ebay all the time with 500 or so miles due to the owners removing them. if anyone has had good luck with them please speak up. dont mean to steal your thread, im still buying up parts so i cant give you and comparisons.

TitoJones
06-07-2005, 12:56 AM
I recommend bushing material in this order:
Del-a-lum
Rubber
Sand
Polyurathane
You may notice that 'sand' is a better choice than poly for bushing material.
Look up a thread called '69 Camaro-blank slate wanna help?', or something to that effect. It had a good cut-n-paste of a very budget minded street suspension setup that Chicane came up with a few years back. It will do wonders for your handling, and leave some padding in your wallet.
Tyler

dennis68
06-07-2005, 04:49 AM
I recommend bushing material in this order:
Del-a-lum
Rubber
Sand
Polyurathane
Tyler
:lol:

Steve Chryssos
06-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Front suspension bushings should be considered a critical part. That said, Del-A-Lum bushings make good sense. The only problem is that the technical link on GW's website does not work. So folks keep scratching their heads. :hmm: I found the following GW info Ronsraceshop.com. Read it and you will be buying Del-A-Lum regardless of price.

http://www.ronsraceshop.com/products.asp?ID=527

edit: Edited for the benefit of future searches:
Delrin delalum del-a-lum poly polyurethane urethane bushings

68BNUT
06-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Instead of getting the Hotchkis springs just get some 9 1/2" afco springs and some hidden adjusters then you can pick your spring rate and adjust it acordingly with the hidden adjusters. my 2pennys

JLM
06-07-2005, 06:44 AM
I agree with 68Bnut on the AFCO springs. They tend to be a bit cheaper in my searching as well. This will be the route I'm going. Customized to my front end weight with an adjustable ride height.

In regards to bushings choice definitely go with del-a-lum in the front. The front suspension only needs to move on 1 axis which means when you get a rubber or poly bushing you can get some side to side movements that upset the geometry a bit. Gonig with a solid del-a-lum bushings prevents this as teh bushing is acting more like a bearing allowing free movement up and down and no movement side to side.

You shouldn't see any detriment to ride quality going with a solid bushing. extreamly high spring rates (especially in the rear) will cause a harsh ride.

I wish I would have found this place BEFORE I put PST crap in my front end :pat:

Derek69SS
06-07-2005, 06:46 PM
I wish I would have found this place BEFORE I put PST crap in my front end :pat:

Worse yet, I put it in the REAR of my CHEVELLE :scared:

phaseshift
06-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Not that I am the expert on ride quality or anything, but I see this discussion a lot and wonder how many people are using rod ends and "metal to metal" types of pivot points. I have used them in a couple of cars and except form being noisy, they are not that much worse (in my opinion) than any of the other aftermarket options.

Now I doubt that anyone at BMW or Lexus is going to make the jump to rod ends, but I do not think they are that bad, especially if properly maintained and greased.

TheRoaringEagle
06-08-2005, 02:18 AM
Hmm.. so the general consensus is for Del-A-Lum. I really like its design, I was just worried about ride quality. I think I'll have to invest in them. As for the Hotchkis coils, anyone have any comments on them? Do they really lower the front too much after awhile?

My front end is riding on 6-cyl coils with a 400 SBC and the oil pan is 2 inches off the ground! I run small tires up front and the tuck in the fender almost! I really want to even the front out with back if not a LITTLE lower.

The only problem I have with the AFCO setup is I'm feeling really lazy in trying to figure out what spring rate and such I need for my setup. And I assumed they were more expensive. ?

JLM
06-08-2005, 04:38 AM
If you have an SBC in there it sounds from my readings that a 750 lb sring should fit the bill nicely.

68BNUT
06-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Dennis68 is running 750's in the front of his el camino I wasnt that brave and got the 700's in my 68 firstgen, the ride is great I almost need to cut them if I wanted to get real low. I have about 1" left in my adjusters to go lower then if I wanted to go lower I would need to cut the coils, but since there not progressive rate like the Hotchkis springs its a lot easier to figure out how much to cut off. I look like a giant dork but heres a pic of my car with the 700# afco's and the hidden adjusters with about 1" left to go down. IM running 17x8 in the front so I cant get to low.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/jcleveland_75056/P5010090.jpg