PDA

View Full Version : Dry sump questions

Motorcitydak
02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
I am going to run a 5.7 Hemi in my car when ever I get around to the motor part of the build. What Im thinking about rite now is the oiling system, specifically a dry sump setup. I really like the idea of running one seeing as how it is better in every aspect. My question here is can I just run 1 extra pump? The 5.7 has the stock oil pump mounted on the front of the crank like most (all?) distributorless engines. I know that you need at least 2 pumps to run one also. What I would like to do is to run the pickup from the stock pump to the bottom of the oil tank, let that feed the motor then just run one (or two?) scavenge pump to draw the oil from the bottom the pan and send it back to the oil tank. Any problems with my thinking here? I read before that the oil system in the 5.7 was said to be way over built for the stock motor and I can also get upgraded units (more flow Id guess) for about 150 bucks. Then Id just have to mount one to run off the serp belt

funcars
02-11-2011, 11:03 PM
It's a lot of work to properly set up a dry sump system. Make sure you know what you are getting into and have the room you need for all of the lines, the tank, breathers, remote oil filter, etc. If you don't run enough scavenge stages and a well designed dry sump pan, it's not going to get you much benefit. I have a 6 stage pump with 5 scavenge stages and 1 pressure. That way I scavenge from the pan in multiple spots, the lifter valley, and the valve covers and keep oil well controlled.

theRG
02-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Call Aviaid. 3-4 stages is fine for most applications and up to 10 years ago NASCAR was still running 4 stage pumps. Robert Yates was really the one who started adding more stages over 4, smaller more balanced flow through more stages = more efficiency along with increasing overall flow (since volume is capped in most racing classes), and now most guys are running 6 stage dailey or autoverdi pumps.

Motorcitydak
04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
For anyone else considering this, I found this article which is really helpful

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?15804-Dry-sump-construction