PDA

View Full Version : DSE mini-tub upper cross-member question

2fast4u
06-06-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm a little confused...I'm installing a 3" dse mini-tub it on a 67 F-body (non-staggered shocks). I've seen several pics and the upper cross-member varies drastically in terms of how far above the trunk pan its rises. Is there a difference? What height is recommended?

Also, According to DSE one of the first steps to weld in your frame and shockmember/trunk area cutouts prior to installing the new inner tubs and upper crossmember bar. BUT, if the crossmember bar expands from inner wheel tub to inner wheel tub wouldn't it basically replace the trunk/shockmember area that the cutout is patterned after?? I guess what I'm asking shouldnt the shockmember/trunk cutout be patterend after the the end of the crossmember bar since I have to gut this area to make room for the crossmember bar itself??

BTW, does it make sense to stagger the shocks to alleviate wheel-hop eventhough it originally is non-staggered??

Thanks, Chris

JayBird
06-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Hi Chris,

Please don't take this wrong, but have you called Kyle and spoke with him? I have known Kyle for a few years now and he has always eagerly and patiently answered my questions and DSE takes pride in customer service.

I'm sure guys here will gladly offer any info they have on this issue, but I would definitely speak with DSE, since these are their products.

Good luck....I just dont want you to start cutting and welding and have the incorrect measurements etc.

2fast4u
06-07-2005, 06:48 PM
No dont worry i appreciate your feedback...i tried calling kyle today but he 3 was in the shop working. I'll try again tomorrow. -chris

MrQuick
06-07-2005, 07:24 PM
I've seen several pics and the upper cross-member varies drastically in terms of how far above the trunk pan its rises. Is there a difference? What height is recommended?
It depends on the shock you use. Kyle recommended the shock to be 16" installed at ride. The QA1 shock we used had a comp height of 13 1/2" and 22" extended. We mounted them at 18 1/2" and set the cross member height to comply. After all was mocked up the shock was 3/4" compressed to mount to axle mount with car on the rack and suspension all the way down.

I guess what I'm asking shouldnt the shockmember/trunk cutout be patterend after the the end of the crossmember bar since I have to gut this area to make room for the crossmember bar itself??
I found it easier to cut the frame. Then cut out the shock cross member. Make you filler plate then weld them in. The tubs go in last. Alot of time goes in to tacking and mock up.

BTW, does it make sense to stagger the shocks to alleviate wheel-hop eventhough it originally is non-staggered??
Entirely up to you but it is well worth it. Might as well its out anyways.