PDA

View Full Version : BUTTONWILLOW 4/02 with NCRC for $104.00!

Orngcrush69
02-07-2011, 08:41 PM
I've signed up for this event and at this price I might do 2 days!

Gitter Dun
02-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Yeah, I seen that Dave. Going to try and make that one.

Orngcrush69
02-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Right on G...Gear it right this time. J/K

Gitter Dun
02-14-2011, 09:09 AM
LOL, consider that done already. I have a couple other changes I'm making right now so it will be interesting to see what the results will be.

BTW, I saw $95 couple of weeks ago, where did you get $104?

CarlC
02-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Uh oh. I'd better go out and buy more flowers.

Gitter Dun
02-15-2011, 12:10 PM
With a name like Casanova I dont see how you should have a problem pulling this one off, lol.

Chad-1stGen
02-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Wow good deal. Have family in town but trying to make en effort to stop letting my Camaro collect dust that began last October with my new job. What days have people registered for?

Nessumsar
03-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Hmm, one month from now? I hate to sound like a newb, but how much tire can you expect to go through in one day? I'd hate to blow through my brand new Nittos.

Gitter Dun
03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Phase two build is finally done. picked up car last night. Narrowed tank, re-routed exhaust, and installed watts link. Should be interesting to see if it makes a difference or not. Did some killer leave the shop burnouts and it almost felt like the R888's are falling off.(loosing grip). I've heard a few guys say they harden up and fall off, but I'll know for sure in my upcoming Infineon event. If thats the case I will be going back to RA-1's.

Anyhow, planning on going to this one as long as I can keep her in one piece. Hope to see you guy's their.

CurtiSS 69
03-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Hmm, one month from now? I hate to sound like a newb, but how much tire can you expect to go through in one day? I'd hate to blow through my brand new Nittos.

Jon,

The NT-05's do quite well. I know a fast guy with a Cobra Mustang that runs them at Laguna and ThunderHill and he has no trouble at all. He claims they last quite awhile. In other words one weekend won't destroy them unless there is an extreme setup problem such as positve camber or excessive toe. If you had trouble like that you would have found an indicator of that out at RTTC2. You'll have plenty left. I'd say it's possible to run a season of track days on them without trouble which ain't going to happen on R's for a fast guy. Sign up and join the fun. I may run my tricycle with training wheels out there and join in on the fun.

The concern I'd have would be the rear drum brakes. They will fade away pretty quickly. Bring fluid and a bleeder hose just in case.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

Chad-1stGen
03-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I'll add my $.02

Tire useage is proportional to seat time. I know you loved RTTC and while a true track day doesn't have the save level of commraderie, it has boat loads of seat time. You can easily hit 1.5 hours on the track. That time will take some tire life. You can minimize it by not driving 20 minutes straight on the track if you are really worried about it.

My NT-05's have:
5K miles
full day at buttonwillow
RTTC 2010 & 2011
4 or 5 goodguy autocrosses (sat & sun).

The fronts need replacing soon. I need to reinspect them after RTTC II but there may not be enough tread for a full day at buttonwillow...

PS. If more people came out to track days we could get some of the feel of RTTC as track days are even less about competition and more about having fun and getting time on a race track.

Nessumsar
03-04-2011, 04:45 PM
In that case, let me check with my event coordinator!

Oh, and don't worry Don, I may have my C5s on by then!

With my budget I just didn't want to turn a $100 track day in to a $900 track day. :)

79-TA
03-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Jon, Buttonwillow is supposed to be easier on your car overall than Willow Springs or Cal Speedway. Time for me to check my April calendar . . .

-The Stig-
03-04-2011, 05:33 PM
... gah, tires aren't in my budget right now... and RTTC2 pretty much ate up my current set. Poop.

67zo6Camaro
03-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Goodguys in Del Mar April 1 & 2... Must choose one

Would love to make it to Buttonwillow some day. I have lots of track time at Willow Springs big track and the streets.

I have 3 event on my NTo5s, Autox at AZ, track day at Adams Motorsports, and RTTC2. This last event took more tread than I expected.

Brett

CarlC
03-04-2011, 07:52 PM
As much as I WANT to go to Buttonwillow, I NEED to go to Del Mar. Sorry guys.

6'9"Witha69
03-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Sorry guys, that is my anniversary. DAMN

Chad-1stGen
03-05-2011, 01:27 PM
BTW I'm confirmed for Saturday :)

Looking forward to playing with my GoPro as well as Harry's LapTimer.

I do need to replace my NT-05's on the front before the event though :(

Orngcrush69
03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm on NT-01's, and I've got plenty of tread after 1 day usage. See you guys there. ;-)

CurtiSS 69
03-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Jon,

The NT-05's do quite well. I know a fast guy with a Cobra Mustang that runs them at Laguna and ThunderHill and he has no trouble at all. He claims they last quite awhile. In other words one weekend won't destroy them unless there is an extreme setup problem such as positve camber or excessive toe. If you had trouble like that you would have found an indicator of that out at RTTC2. You'll have plenty left. I'd say it's possible to run a season of track days on them without trouble which ain't going to happen on R's for a fast guy. Sign up and join the fun. I may run my tricycle with training wheels out there and join in on the fun.

The concern I'd have would be the rear drum brakes. They will fade away pretty quickly. Bring fluid and a bleeder hose just in case.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

Jon,

One more thing to check before doing a trackday:

To save your motor check for oil stavation by going down a highway cloverleaf getting on the freeway at a good clip and have a passenger see if the oil pressure goes to zero. If it does find a solution before heading to the track.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

Chad-1stGen
03-07-2011, 08:17 PM
What kind of pads are you guys running? Are you running a designated track pad?

I was goi g to upgrade to a kore aggressive hawk pad but after the horror stories I've read about with break dust eating wheels and paint I'm thinking about picking up a set of carbotech pads.

79-TA
03-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Which pad compounds are you considering? I have HPS's on the Mustang and HP+'s on the Trans Am.

CurtiSS 69
03-07-2011, 10:07 PM
What kind of pads are you guys running? Are you running a designated track pad?

I was goi g to upgrade to a kore aggressive hawk pad but after the horror stories I've read about with break dust eating wheels and paint I'm thinking about picking up a set of carbotech pads.

Hello Chad,

For a data point: I ran Raybestos ST-41's for street, track, and autocross. I really liked these pads. They do contain iron, but I never had trouble with corrosion even running them in the rain. They don't fade either, and can handle the brake killer Laguna Seca Raceway.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

Gitter Dun
03-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Pad choice is a big dillema for me right now only because I cant remember the last pads that I bought and I noticed my last track day that they were fading near my last few laps. I looked for some sort of label off the pads yesterday but couldn't find anything. I am going to pick up the Hawk DTC-60's for the fronts this week only because they get great reviews and the wear on pads and rotors is supposed to be excellent. Not sure I would recommend these for a car that spends alot of time street driving due to the working temperatures of these brakes being from 300-1400 degrees.

Chad-1stGen
03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Which pad compounds are you considering? I have HPS's on the Mustang and HP+'s on the Trans Am.

Was leaning towards the HP plus pad while doing more resarch and a lot of people complain about how hard it is to remove the hawk dust...

79-TA
03-08-2011, 11:13 AM
I'll tell you how it goes when I finally get around to cleaning the Trans Am, lol.

bosses son
03-08-2011, 12:36 PM
is anyone going to the Speed Ventures track day this weekend at Button Willow? I just signed up, kinda late but what the heck right?

Gitter Dun
03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Looks like I'm out guys. Just bought another '69 Camaro today and I'll need to spend my time and money on giving it a full pro-touring treatment.

79-TA
03-09-2011, 12:21 AM
My cousin is taking his 2011 5.0 to the Speedventures trackday this weekend. There's still a slight chance I might go.

Ron.in.SoCal
03-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Looks like I'm out guys. Just bought another '69 Camaro today and I'll need to spend my time and money on giving it a full pro-touring treatment.

Spill the beans Gae...:)

Gitter Dun
03-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Spill the beans Gae...:)

I'll post some pics after I pull it out of my trailor. I had to drive to a town called Prather to pick it up and it was way the hell back in the hills. I left my house yesterday at 9:00 a.m. and didn't get home till 11:00 p.m. last night. Car had been sitting in a garage for 20 years and is really clean. Even the glove box door and glove box interior along with the ash tray and lighter were cherry. No scratches in the dash area and cherry dash pad. The guy pulled it out of the garage for the first time last July because he needed room for his new business and he just couldn't stand to leave it outside so he decided to sell it. It's currently set up pro-street style with custom interior but needs motor.

bosses son
03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
My cousin is taking his 2011 5.0 to the Speedventures trackday this weekend. There's still a slight chance I might go.

sweet, come find us (55 chevy should be hard to miss).

Chad-1stGen
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I thought about trying to get in on the SV event this weekend but don't have time to get my Camaro ready for it.

Gitter Dun
03-14-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm trying to work a deal with Dave(NCRC) to where I do some corner work on Sunday in trade for track time on Saturday. Dave contracts out for corner workers when NCRC is at Laguna and Buttonwillow from a guy by the name of Jim Hileman. If Jim agrees I might be able to make it.

bosses son
03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Hey Gaetano what times do you run at BW 13CW? we got down to a 208.6 this last weekend and i felt i went even faster but the timer guy "forgot" to hit the go button on the computer for that whole 3rd session. i was PISSED, the rest of the day was down hill.

79-TA
03-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Was leaning towards the HP plus pad while doing more resarch and a lot of people complain about how hard it is to remove the hawk dust...

I didn't have much trouble removing the brake dust last week. I'm pretty good about keeping my car clean, so most everything is covered in some kind of protective wax layer to begin with (lots of wipe 'n shine.) The biggest downsides to the HP+'s is that they squeak like crazy. I didn't have this issue with the HPS's on the Mustang.

sweet, come find us (55 chevy should be hard to miss).

I didn't end up going and have yet to talk to my cousin about the weekend. Did you guys see a brand new white 5.0 out there? I told him about the '55.

Gitter Dun
03-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Hey Gaetano what times do you run at BW 13CW? we got down to a 208.6 this last weekend and i felt i went even faster but the timer guy "forgot" to hit the go button on the computer for that whole 3rd session. i was PISSED, the rest of the day was down hill.

Damn Kyle, now I have to go April 2nd!! I ran a fastest 2:10.125.

Now the excuses for not being faster.....I was running a bad rear left shock and my rear tires were heating up and making me loose due to hitting quarter panels and tail pipes. I have since tossed in a watts link and rerouted rear tail pipes inboard.

What tires were you running? What happened the rest of the day?

"EDIT" Kyle, I just confirmed your time at the Speed Ventures site, congrats buddy...awesome time!!

bosses son
03-16-2011, 07:20 AM
yeah i was pretty stoked on it! Since you was the car last we have got some NT05's on it and upgraded to Baer 6S front brakes and stuck with the C-5 rears. My second session i ran the 2.08 and the rear end was way soft, we changed shocks to some gnarly stiff units we had with us. I think it helped but it was stiff and im pretty sure we were bouncing down the straight. I think we need to find a happy medium on shock, we are just using off the shelf bilstine,s, but looking into one of the c-4 adjustable uints. It did help in the corners and unfortunately we didn't get times for that whole session. It felt faster and i felt i was using better lines ( i don't know why i couldn't do that the whole time). Fourth session we started starving for fuel and came in early and we were in traffic most the time. I was done too...... amazing how much it takes out of you physically!

Bret i do remember a few new mustangs, did he have a big wing on it?

Steve1968LS2
03-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Sucks that it's the same weekend as Del Mar.. have to work :(

Gitter Dun
03-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Thats sounds like so much fun. Feels good when you knock down a good time. I know what you mean about physically exhausting, when Hot Rod put the Go Pro in my car I was to tired to go again but I felt kind of obligated. They never did post my video on their site.

Its funny how big a role shocks play. I'm using the QA-1 single adjustables and they seem fine. You really dont know until you try something else. Anyhow, are you going to make it out for April 2nd?

bosses son
03-16-2011, 08:21 AM
we are talking about del mar, i think it will do us better as a business to go and run the peanut their...... i would much rather run the BW but we could always use more work.

Steve1968LS2
03-16-2011, 08:24 AM
As much as I WANT to go to Buttonwillow, I NEED to go to Del Mar. Sorry guys.

Yea, same here.. but in my case I have to work :(

Why do these events always happen on the same day?? Orange County Racecraft is having an event that weekend as well.. the next weekend? NOTHING! argh!

Chad-1stGen
03-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Damn 2.08 is fast!

I think I ran a best of around 2.20 my first and only track day at BW so far.

CurtiSS 69
03-16-2011, 10:12 AM
yeah i was pretty stoked on it! Since you was the car last we have got some NT05's on it and upgraded to Baer 6S front brakes and stuck with the C-5 rears. My second session i ran the 2.08 and the rear end was way soft, we changed shocks to some gnarly stiff units we had with us. I think it helped but it was stiff and im pretty sure we were bouncing down the straight. I think we need to find a happy medium on shock, we are just using off the shelf bilstine,s, but looking into one of the c-4 adjustable uints. It did help in the corners and unfortunately we didn't get times for that whole session. It felt faster and i felt i was using better lines ( i don't know why i couldn't do that the whole time). Fourth session we started starving for fuel and came in early and we were in traffic most the time. I was done too...... amazing how much it takes out of you physically!

Bret i do remember a few new mustangs, did he have a big wing on it?

2:08's on 200 TW street tires for 13 CW with a '55 Chevy suffering suspension problems. That's damn impressive.:) I bet quite a few were surprised to see that house over-taking them on track. Put some double adjustable shocks on there and dial it in to go even faster.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

79-TA
03-16-2011, 12:38 PM
we are talking about del mar, i think it will do us better as a business to go and run the peanut their...... i would much rather run the BW but we could always use more work.

Oh man, does the '55 qualify for the older class of cars? Or will you just end up in the vendor class?

On a side note, I saw my cousin yesterday. He ran his car on Sunday, so he didn't see you guys.

bosses son
03-16-2011, 01:07 PM
we will not have a booth so i think we are lumped in with everyone else. i am not sure what class we will be in?

Nessumsar
03-16-2011, 02:39 PM
we will not have a booth so i think we are lumped in with everyone else. i am not sure what class we will be in?

I think you'll be in the "bitchin" class. See you guys there.

hotrod69camaro
03-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Just wondering. Are most of you going down to Del Mar all 3 days or what?

Orngcrush69
03-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Does anyone wanna split a garage? I'll make the arrangements, think it's still $80.

ROBS6T8
03-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Gaetano, are you going to this? If so, I'd love for you to take my wife on a lil' ride. Maybe make it the first one where you're still feeling the car out and getting the tires warm! lol I don't want her to hate it! Her ride with Mary at a Goodguys autox (small) had her all giddy with some fear but mostly excitement.

Robert

Gitter Dun
03-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Robert, can't confirm yet but I will let you know as soon as I find out. If I dont make this one I most certainly will be their at any of the events from the month of May forward. I'll keep you posted buddy.

ROBS6T8
03-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Cool. Thanks Gaetano.

Gitter Dun
03-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Looks like the weather conditions are going to be great for this one. Wish I could make it but unless I pick up a nice little side job I'll just have to sit this one out. Have a good time guys!!

Orngcrush69
03-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Looks like we have cloud cover but good weather! I can't wait to get back on the track!

Chad-1stGen
03-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Looking forward to this myself :)

Just got my TomTom kit for my iPhone last night and looking forward to using Harry's laptimer out there to record some data and video.

Now I just need my new carbotech brakes to show up :)

SIK02SS
03-30-2011, 10:00 AM
wish i could make it, corvette is back in the shop for more work, and i may be flying to AZ.

i'm looking at Speed Ventures April 16. if the corvette's not ready i may be there doing some testing in a southwest tour car instead :D

Gitter Dun
03-30-2011, 04:58 PM
I keep bouncing back to the NCRC site to see if open class has filled yet in hopes a money bag falls from the sky and hits me in the head. LOL

ROBS6T8
03-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Still looking Gaetano... let me know if you get hit in the head! lol Otherwise, I'll be here working on mine. We all know it needs some work! I'll be starting a build thread soon.

Robert

Gitter Dun
03-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Still looking Gaetano... let me know if you get hit in the head! lol Otherwise, I'll be here working on mine. We all know it needs some work! I'll be starting a build thread soon.

Robert

Yup, wanna go BAD, but the drive alone to Buttonwillow with todays gas prices isn't cheap. I'll be there July 30th though. Hopefully I'll see you guys then.

Orngcrush69
03-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Right on Chad! Have a safe trip up.

ROBS6T8
04-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Yup, wanna go BAD, but the drive alone to Buttonwillow with todays gas prices isn't cheap. I'll be there July 30th though. Hopefully I'll see you guys then.

Sounds good and warm!! We both will have the weekends off this summer so anything on the weekend will work. Thanks.

Robert

Chad-1stGen
04-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Two sessions down. Having a blast!! Best time of 2.18 so far. Harry's laptimer looks to be working after changing to the wide mode for the sensor.

Gitter Dun
04-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Awesome, wish I could have made it. What brakes and tires you go with? How's Dave doing on his NT01's?

Chad-1stGen
04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Hey Gaetano. Yeah wish you could of made it too! There is a pretty neat ford falcon out here too.

I'm running NT-05 tires and carbotech pads xp10/xp8 f/r. Z41 c6 front with c4 rear.

Dave says he loves the Nt-01's.

Gitter Dun
04-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Ahhhhhhh....You Dogs!!!!! Bet the weather is perfect!!

Chad-1stGen
04-02-2011, 02:28 PM
On my way home. Car is under it's own powerso that makes another successful track day. Last session ran a best of 2.16 according to Harry's Laptimer :). I'm happy.

Chad-1stGen
04-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Wish we could of gotten more folks out there today. That track is a lot of fun!

I took some iphone video and gopro video I will upload later.

In the mean time here is a lap with the Harry's Laptimer on my phone. I need to figure out how to tighten up the TomTom mount so the video isn't so shaky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGwdcnw7e1Q

Flash68
04-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Man that's pretty good vid I'd say for setting an iphone in a mount! Thanks for sharing. That does look like a fun track. I hope to make a showing there once before this year is over.