PDA

View Full Version : New guy from NY

454Ram
02-07-2011, 03:39 AM
Just introducing myself, I found this site via a member here and thought it looked good. And since I am thinking of trying to make my truck handle somewhat, it seemed like a good idea to join.

Project is kinda a lead brick. Its a '85 Dodge Ram, with a 454 BB Chevy and a Mopar 833 4-speed manual overdrive. I have it mocked up and the engine is about halfway through the build. Just a 9.1 engine that I am trying to make run on 87 octane. I know its heavy and not ideal, but its what I want, so I am working with it. Maybe someday down the road some aluminum heads to lighten the weight. Till then, i just need to get it running.

34toddster
02-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Hello RAM I'm new here also I have one of those trucks I didn't know anyone else was willing to spend money on them, what did you do to adapt the A833 to the GM Bell Housing. I've looked for the GM version of that trans with no luck. What say you? Thanks Todd

454Ram
02-08-2011, 04:04 PM
I made my own adapter. I bought a piece of 3/4" aluminum plate , had my machine shop machine the hole for the front bearing retainer and then I drilled and tapped the holes as needed. Here is a pic attached to the lakewood bellhousing. I guess you could do it with a regular bellhousing, but I like my feet. I have about $150 into the adapter and probably about 4 hours of my time.

I had bought one of those GM 833 trans and bellhousings. I ended up just using it for measurements then sold it. Reason was I think at times I may stick a non OD 833 trans in it which means Mopar length and didn't want to mess with two driveshafts, different mounts, different shifter mounts and rods, etc. Plus i can hook my speedo right up as I am still keeping the same brand trans. I have not had a flywheel and clutchdisc /throw out bearing hooked up so I hope i had all my measurements right. I also took a Mopar pilot bearing and had my machinest turn down the outer holder (which fits in the crank torque converter hub hole), so it fits into the chevy crank.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/bellhousing2-1.jpghttps://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/muncieto833adapter2-1.jpg

aeroocoupe
02-08-2011, 05:14 PM
hello Ram, good luck with your build. I had a 85 150 ram short bed with 3od trans with a 6cyl.