PDA

View Full Version : steering box adapter plate?

61ragtop
02-06-2011, 10:27 PM
How hard is it to adapt a steering box to a car it didnt come on?

I am looking to get the 670 Lee Steering box for my 1961 Impala. I think I will need to make a plate to bolt it on. Also I am not sure about the pitman arm either.

Any ideas or advice on doing this????

Thanks in advance!!

MrQuick
02-07-2011, 12:09 AM
what do you have on it now?

61ragtop
02-07-2011, 06:39 AM
To be honest I am not sure. It is the stock box. I will look into what it is and post up the info.

61ragtop
02-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Not sure what series it is but here is the box......

http://www.carsteering.com/steeringmodels/1961/Chevrolet/Impala/Manual_Steering_Gear_Box.html

dontlifttoshift
02-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Borgeson does a 14 to 1 Delphi 600 box that bolts in. Works good.

lnirenberg
02-11-2011, 03:53 PM
read this--
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0901_gm_steering_box_upgrade/index.html

I'm in a similar quest except I currently have a quick ratio 605 box that was on the car when I bought it and your standard 605 is a piece of sh**. I had been working with Tom Lee as he had a project going to put his magic touch on the 605 box but he has given up for the time being as he is too busy. My complicating factor is the aftermarket radiator that is substantially thicker than stock and when I tried to install a CPP box the bottom of the radiator was in the way. I've thought about replacing the radiator but it was rather expensive.

I am going to focus on this a bit more once I get my car back from the upholstery shop but I am concerned that trying to modify the mounting point is a slippery slope and I don't want to screw up the geometry of the steering system. I am a complete amateur when it comes to this and to get the car to track true have adequate feel, feedback, no bump steer & proper ackerman I have no idea whether I need to get into upgraded pitman arm, tie rods & ends. I plan to autocross the car a bit so I don't want to screw this up & flush more money down the drain. I'm not trying to steal your thread but oddly we are both dealing with 61 fullsize chevys, so any insights would be helpful to both of us. As I am registered for the event at NJMP 4/1-2 I don't have a ton of time to figure this out so 1st choice would be to find the local expert and pay them to figure it out.