PDA

View Full Version : New motors for this season.

hotrod69camaro
02-05-2011, 07:45 PM

Hey gang. Who built a new mill for this season? Here is my new one. 383 cu in. 541 HP and 519 ft/lbs of torque. Who else did something new or freshened theirs up? Now all I've gotta do is drive it.

Flash68
02-06-2011, 12:13 AM
^ Sweet 383! Very stout numbers. What are your specs/details?

We just rebuilt/refreshened the 377 that was in my car recently.

mdprovee
02-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Nice motor. Mine had a valve keeper break, so I am freshening up, but not by choice. I will be ready for RTTC though, and hopefully with a few miles under my belt.

Samckitt
02-06-2011, 09:22 AM
WOW, pretty!

kmcanally
02-06-2011, 09:57 AM
I re freshened too but not by choice. I though I was about to eat a solid roller lifter but upon tear down I discovered the lifters were actually ok. I did have a broken valve spring, two bent valves, and four cylinders with blown head gaskets from too much nitrous and too little gasket. With all of that it's surprising how well the engine ran when I tore it apart...the only apparent issue to me was a metallic noise coming from within that I though was lifter but turned out to be a broken valve spring. I had Kim Barr Racing Engines do a 3 angle valve job, .010 cut on the deck to clean up, and install new springs on my heads. I also went back with new Comp Cams Endure-X solid roller lifters, and MLS head gaskets. Right now I am waiting on my new Romac harmonic damper to show up. I have a Pro Products damper but the timing marks are painted on and most of the paint had come off. I bought some Mr. Gasket timing tape to fix it but prior to putting that on I decided I needed a new damper that had the marks laser engraved for a more permanent solution.

Bill Howell
02-06-2011, 10:03 AM
ME ME ME!
Yeah, freshening up, yeah that is what I am doing.
New Springs, valves, pistons, rods, ARP bolts, head work, spark plugs, yeah, that is about $5000 of freshening right? Happens when you break a valve spring at 70mph. Seems no one in the country stocks quality 6.4 hemi pistons so we sit and wait. It won't be ready for RTTC, but will hopefully be at RTTS. We decided to lower the compression ratio just a tad this time, hard to get consistently good quality of gas these days and the crate motor was right on that ragged edge of too much compression, plus I have a bad habit of being on the rev limiter so trying to bullet proof it a bit this time. Sad news is, for what I have in the motor now I could damn near have a LS9.......

Matt@BOS
02-06-2011, 11:53 AM
ME ME ME!
Sad news is, for what I have in the motor now I could damn near have a LS9.......

Tell me about it, I have an LS2 that looks really cool, and has a decent amount of power with heads and a cam, but I might as well just have bought an LS7 or something similar at this point.

On a side note, will you be driving something else at RTTC, Bill?

Matt

Bill Howell
02-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I may borrow one of Albert's cars for a quick lap or something, but last year I was pretty busy making sure the event was running smooth so I am not planning on having one of my cars there. Really at this moment all I got that is ready to go is the vette or my suburban or Melinda's E320......lol

Mr.VENGEANCE
02-06-2011, 03:31 PM
how bout this..

I redid my LS7.
* GM Performance LS7 Aluminum Block
* Callies CompStar Crankshaft(4.100" Stroke)
* Diamond LS7 4.125" Bore Forged Piston Set
* Diamond LS1 Moly Ring Pack
* Callies LS1 CompStar Connecting Rods
* Clevite LS1 High Performance Main Bearings
* Clevite SBC High Performance Rod Bearings
* DuraBond LS1 Cam Bearings
* SDPC LS1 Complete Block Hardware Kit
* ARP LS1 Main Stud Kit
* Vengeance racing custom grind cam
* precision metalcraft custom ls7 manifold.

yea!!!!

jokerswild454
02-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Since last year's RTTC, we've pulled the stock GM 290hp crate motor (with Weiand-142) and went for a complete top-end rebuild. We've dumped the iron heads and flat-tappet Isky cam. Then we stuffed it with a complete set of 200cc RHS cylinder heads, Comp roller rockers and a new hydraulic cam with lots of bump. Haven't been on the dyno yet, buy we're hoping for over 400 at the tires.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/background1-1.jpg

tazzz25906112
02-08-2011, 05:58 AM
I may borrow one of Albert's cars for a quick lap or something, but last year I was pretty busy making sure the event was running smooth so I am not planning on having one of my cars there. Really at this moment all I got that is ready to go is the vette or my suburban or Melinda's E320......lol

You can run'em all Bill,,,, they're there for that reason buddy!!!!

-The Stig-
02-21-2011, 02:21 PM
You can run'em all Bill,,,, they're there for that reason buddy!!!!

Can I have a go in one?

J/k.

Only cars I abuse are my own... or my Mom's car back in High school. Those were the days. *sigh* Especially when the tank was empty, just came home and strategically forgot to mention she had to get gas. Good times.

61ragtop
02-21-2011, 07:33 PM

Hey gang. Who built a new mill for this season? Here is my new one. 383 cu in. 541 HP and 519 ft/lbs of torque. Who else did something new or freshened theirs up? Now all I've gotta do is drive it.

I am re doing the top end on my 383ci sbc due to a bad set of AFR heads. I will be going from the old L98's to the new eliminators and AFR is quoting an extra 60-70 hp/tq with the head upgrade and compression bump putting me at 514hp and 545 tq!!

Love how you did your head painting on the AFR's I am thinkin of doing mine only black!! Any pointers?

Do you have any other pics of it showing the heads from the side (header area)?

Also what throttle stop/return spring bracket is that?

hotrod69camaro
02-21-2011, 08:31 PM
I masked the bare areas with masking tap then use a razor blade and you can hold it at about a 45* angle and slide it along where the rough cast meets the machined surface. then it wont score the machined surface. It was time consuming. And Moroso return spring bracket

mdprovee
02-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Just got word, my motor is up and running...we will be making the trip down, should be a fun road test.

Flash68
02-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Just got word, my motor is up and running...we will be making the trip down, should be a fun road test.

Geez Mike, the motor just got finished now??? Talk about cutting it close! Good luck and see ya there.

THE TECH
02-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Since last year's RTTC, we've pulled the stock GM 290hp crate motor (with Weiand-142) and went for a complete top-end rebuild. We've dumped the iron heads and flat-tappet Isky cam. Then we stuffed it with a complete set of 200cc RHS cylinder heads, Comp roller rockers and a new hydraulic cam with lots of bump. Haven't been on the dyno yet, buy we're hoping for over 400 at the tires.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/background1-1.jpg

How much of a cowl will that thing require?