PDA

View Full Version : How much driving?

slck6t9
08-30-2004, 06:17 AM
Just a question for some of you whose cars are done or at least in driving condition. How much do you drive them now? Everyday, weekends only etc. I thought now that I'm done with mine until money allows that I would drive it all the time. But that just isn't the case. It seems like I only drive it now and again on the weekends. There just isn't much car stuff going on here in Wichita Falls Tx. Its to the point that I just hate seeing it sit in the garage. How about others?

Scott

derekf
08-30-2004, 06:25 AM
Your link is a little boogered.

It should read http://66.70.234.198/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=512&stc=1 (you've got http:// twice)

Oh, I guess I could actually answer your question, as long as I'm here.

For the first three years after I "finished" my elky, it was my driver.. as in took me to work, took me to the store, if I had to drive somewhere it'd have to be in the elky because it was my only car.

Then I moved.

Now work is 25+ miles from home, and I have to drive through downtown each way with all the traffic that comes with that. I stopped driving the elky to work the day I almost plowed a large van.

Now I drive it on weekends only, and even then typically only when I need a truck. The things-to-fix list on it keeps growing.. probably because I haven't really worked on either the elky or the 'velle in over a year - the new house has really been cutting into free time and spare money (as if there's such a thing).

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel though, and once I get a few things fixed/changed on the elky I think it'll go back to being daily-driver (famous last words, right?).

slck6t9
08-30-2004, 07:01 AM
Thanks Derekf I think I got it fixed now.

Scott

Rick Dorion
08-30-2004, 07:24 AM
Good question. I try to work on my car during the winter and drive it often spring/summer/fall. It works out to be about 2000-2500 miles per year.

MrQuick
08-30-2004, 07:50 AM
ok Im glad I thought I was the only one. It seems that I give more attention to my car(s) when they are projects.But when they get finished they either sit or get sold.Im more content when they need work or finishing.I find myself making excusses to work on them.But driving my car(s) doesn't happen offen cause Im either too busy working on one of my project(s) or working over time to help pay for my project(s). Something my father said to me at the tender age of 13..." son, don't let the car make you work for it, you gotta let the car work for you." At the time I thought he was just drunk but now I see his point.To anwser your question. its "C" 3 times a month and 1100 miles annualy just due to driving it to local car show. Do your best to try to enjoy it.

slck6t9
08-30-2004, 08:15 AM
Vince this is exactly what is happening to me right now. I had money to work on it and that was enjoyable but now that I have no money to keep adding to it the car just sits except for a few select days on the weekends. I would probably enjoy it more if we had something to do everynight of the week like some places in California does. I know some of you are saying well at least mine id drivable so I guess I should just get out and abuse it some. Right.

Scott

jeff s
08-30-2004, 09:56 AM
My "10 Second Street Alien" (Ultima GTR) has been driven 16,000 miles in just over a year since it's completion. I don't own a car trailer so it get's driven wherever it goes. I tried to trailer it to SEMA last year, my borrowed trailer broke and I ended up driving it to Vegas. Since I'm now unemployed (due to corporate consolidation) I've been driving it everywhere as I may have to put it on Ebay if I don't find something to do soon.

dennis68
08-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Not that I'm anywhere being done but it gets driven daily and will forever. I just don't like the way newer cars drive.

Geeto67
08-30-2004, 12:05 PM
My car is no where near done, actually I am sure it is borderline roadlegal/safe. I drive it almost everywhere I need to go in a car (I commute to work by train, parking in manhattan is hell, esp with the RNC going on). If you have it use it. I'm with dennis, new cars don't have the feel of an old one.

67rsconvert
08-30-2004, 01:52 PM
I drive mine every other day. Take it to the beach as therapy at least every other week(only a 20 minute drive) or to feed my coffee addiction. I work from a home office so it only goes out on pleasure drives. I will miss it when it goes in for paint/body this winter!

Stu Seitz
08-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Will be my daily driver when I'm done with it. Will actully be cheaper to drive my camaro then the 12 mpg beast I have now (1979 suburban).

J-Rod
08-30-2004, 03:51 PM
(first post on the new forums, i was Jrodz68 on the old)

Welp, as of yesterday I finished my LS1/68 camaro conversion exactly one year ago. Since then, I've put 39,000 miles on her.

Daily driver? Yes :3gears:

StRacerDuke
08-30-2004, 07:25 PM
I Drive a 71 SS all original chevelle to work everyday :)
It's 32 miles round trip.

USAZR1
08-30-2004, 08:22 PM
In the last month,Scott,there have been three large cruise weekends in our area: Iowa Park, Walters,and Vernon. Wichita Falls is planning a large event in September. Get that car out and drive it!
Heck,you don't live that far from me. Give me a shout,sometime,or email me so I can help keep you up to date on area happenings.

zbugger
08-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Mine was, and will again be, my daily driver. I guess that's why it's taken so long to build. I hope to get a motorcycle to get around while the car is down. Some day.....

gchandler
08-30-2004, 08:45 PM
over 10k so far this year on the chevelles.

Martin71RS
08-30-2004, 09:31 PM
I drove it every day, 50km roundtrip to work alone.....about 8000miles since I finished it (the 1st time)
Now the Camaro will be redone over winter...hope to drive daily again when finished.

Martin

Protour_Pinto
08-31-2004, 03:55 PM
I am not in a car very often. During the week I am either hauling animals around in a E350 van or I am on the bike being a process server.

When I get the car done I am sure it will see around 2000 miles a month minimum. The bike on the other hand sees 1500 miles a week average right now.

tempestman
08-31-2004, 03:55 PM
Hey, I am in Wichita falls over at Sheppard AFB for my technical training to become a C-135 Crew Cheif until October 21 so if there is going to be a car show some time before then it would be great if you could post it and or e-mail me. I would love to come if I am able. I am realy missing my car while I am here.
BTW before I left for basic I drove my car all the time that has/will be my gole to keep it a fun car to drive all the time.

Evan Shepard
1970 Pontiac Tempest
[email protected]

ZZ430
08-31-2004, 04:01 PM
About 3K miles per year.

USAZR1
08-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Hey, I am in Wichita falls over at Sheppard AFB for my technical training to become a C-135 Crew Cheif until October 21 so if there is going to be a car show some time before then it would be great if you could post it and or e-mail me. I would love to come if I am able. I am realy missing my car while I am here.
BTW before I left for basic I drove my car all the time that has/will be my gole to keep it a fun car to drive all the time.
Evan Shepard
1970 Pontiac Tempest
[email protected]

Welcome to Wichita Falls,Evan. Sounds like you and Scott need to get together with me for a cold one and some benchracing. :3gears:

ironroad9c1
08-31-2004, 06:24 PM
i drive the caprice every day ,just got it legal today though ..lol got stopped the other day for blocking an intersection during rush hour..lol told the cop i had no idea why the plates where still comming back to a 73 lemans..lol

CAMAROBOY69
09-01-2004, 11:57 AM
From the beginning of when I bought my car I drove it as much as possible. Then after I installed the T-56 and other interior goodies I attended the end of the Power Tour this year and also Woodward. I also drove to just about ever local car show I could find. My car is far from finished but this should give you an idea that I drove the car as much as possible to enjoy working my butt off on it. It just feels good to drive it around and have people looking at you giving thumbs up, and smiles. That makes all the hard work worth it when you see that and its very addicting! :icon996: It helps having a girlfriend who loves cars and appreciates the hard work ive done! She loves the attention when we drive around. :)

tempestman
09-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Welcome to Wichita Falls,Evan. Sounds like you and Scott need to get together with me for a cold one and some benchracing. :3gears:

Sounds good to me. I am free most weekends, but it sucks getting around with out a car.

Evan