PDA

View Full Version : Still running really cold

JRouche
01-29-2011, 09:43 PM
I think I posted here about my engine running too cold and thought I had it worked out. NOT!!

Went for a putt today, it was 75* outside. I was driving at around 55mph for about 20 miles. The engine was as warm as it was gonna get and it was only at 153*. WAY too cold. And I have two sensors. One for my gauge and the other for the EFI computer, they both agree, its 153.

I want the engine (water temps) up around 185-190*.

I have a 185* stat in and it seems to work with the simple checking I have done. You know, idling the engine up to temp with the radiator cap off looking for the opening of the stat with an inrush of coolant. And I saw that. I can idle it up to 185*, the stat will open and close. I can see that with the coolant flow with the radiator cap off.

And idleing through town I can get some nice heat. It will peg at 185* and stay there. I like that.

But if I go any faster than 30mph she cools WAY down, not "cool".

Id actually like to see 195-200* with my EFI mill. She runs SO much better with a lil heat.

I have the electric fan controller set to max temp. I dont even think the fan is turning on with any speed above 40mph. Its just too cold. And the outside temp isnt very cold. 75* is not really cold, its perfect.

So my question? How can I get more heat!!

Any help would be great. Im running around with a cold engine that is sucking up fuel and basically in hibernation due to the temps. I need to heat things up a bit. JR

67 ls1 vert
01-29-2011, 10:48 PM
move to Phoenix. LOL J/K

that's a strange problem you have there. Maybe try a different stat. Maybe the one you have is defective???

JRouche
01-30-2011, 12:19 AM
move to Phoenix. LOL J/K

that's a strange problem you have there. Maybe try a different stat. Maybe the one you have is defective???

Yup, thanks. Thats the road Im going with, a bad stat. I just wanted to get some other views before I went there. I think you are correct. JR