PDA

View Full Version : Sanded engine bay to bare metal, what primer?

baggins
01-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Like the title says the engine bay is in bare metal and I am wondering what the best thing that comes in an aerosol can is to put on it and the fenderwells? Thanks Nick

ROBS6T8
01-29-2011, 08:20 PM
First thing to put on it is some primer to protect the metal from surface rust! Why areosol, if I may ask? Check out this link http://www.eastwood.com/2k-ceramic-underhood-black-quart-kit.html they have it in areosol also. This is what I bought, but have not used it yet. Read the 2 reviews. It sounds like a good product. I won't be using mine for a weee bit, so I can't comment on it. Sorry.

baggins
01-30-2011, 11:30 PM
i was hoping to just do an aerosol can primer for now then do the entire car all together down the road, will the spray primer not seal it for now?

ROBS6T8
01-31-2011, 09:12 AM
I used some SEM spray primer on my valance, don't remember which one, and it started to rust through. Of course this was after a year in the garage and I believe a damn cat p**sed on the thing. I just removed it all the other day to put some DTM primer on it and start the bodywork.

shep
01-31-2011, 07:28 PM
You can get etch primer in a spray can it isn't cheap but should not let rust come back.

elitecustombody
01-31-2011, 08:14 PM
As I said on Lat-G, use BGP-988,it will work