PDA

View Full Version : Torana should i go pro or keep old school?

aussietony
01-28-2011, 05:15 AM
Hi Guys i am about to start the rebuild of my 1977 Torana hatchback. I had a small accident late last year and have decided to go the whole hog and fully rebuild it. I am trying to decide whether or not to go pro touring like my 69 camaro or keep it old school and powered by the old 308 cube aussie v8 and 4 spd box or update it with an ls3 and six speed. Tell me what you guys think.

gearbanger
01-28-2011, 05:51 AM
I like the ls motors for sure, but there are so many now its almost lost its cool factor. I dig your car the way it is. It has a real rally car attitude. I bet it will handle crazy good as light as it is. I will say this, if you can figure out a way to get a 5 speed in that thing, it will bring a whole new level of fun to drive to your car.

LeighP
01-28-2011, 05:35 PM
You can Pro-Tour the car and leave the 308 in it....there is some crazy good gear out there for the Holden block...heads and induction etc...great engine, why change it?
Go for a 5 speed conversion, a 9" in the back.....some 17's on it and work the suspension over.
Nice cars, I like the hatches.

dusterbd13
01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
so your debating wether or not to pro-tour the torana, right?

if so, i say yes.... sort of.

leave the vibe it currently has. 5 speed it, inject it, stiffen up the chassis, upgrade the brakes, add some creature comforts it doesnt currently have.

leave the look it has going for it now, though. its a good looking car like it is, with some neat vntage flair. pro-touring is all about the neat vintage with the modern comforts.

michael

aussietony
01-28-2011, 10:52 PM
I Like the sound of the 5spd box. I have already upgraded the brakes to 4wd.

68Formula
01-29-2011, 10:48 AM
I had to look to see if someone mis-spelled Torino, lol. First thing it made me think of was a Mustang II with a Buick Apollo grille grafted onto a Vega. Whatever it is, it looks cool as it sits. Keep the Aussie 8 and add the 5spd.

MrBlonde
01-29-2011, 03:04 PM
LS3 for sure.

Bad Bird
01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Nice Toranafest shots. :)

This answers what my opinion is:
http://www.litre8.com/

Gandalf
02-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Having owned 5 LH/LX Torana's, some of my favorite "back road" memories were in one of those cars. It was a factory 4sp 253ci but it also came with heavy-duty suspension. I think it was an "L31" or some similar designation. Not rare by any means but I can tell you that was one of the best handling factory V8 sedans I've ever owned - nothing aftermarket. What was my point.... oh yeah, I can only imagine what one of those cars would do with same or better horsepower but without the weight up front. PT for sure. However.....If I had a PT 69 Camaro like you describe, I'd keep the Torana old school. Something to be said for the classic sound and grumbly feel of an Aussie V8.

Cheers!
G.

aussiebj
02-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Toranas rock ...having said that i would keep it stock looking but upgrade the suspension and drivetrain to todays tech..heres my A9X coupe I wish i had over here in the states..
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/04/toranaburnrubber-1.jpg

aussietony
02-09-2011, 04:08 AM
That looks cool barry. With wide 15inch tyres so hard to come by now i am nearly counting they km in smoke.

aussiebj
02-09-2011, 05:46 AM
BFG still makes a 265 50 15 in a radial TA just go to the tire rack or summit`s web site and they are around 90 bucks ...Yea i whish i could find a Torana over here I would snap it up ...

andrewb70
02-09-2011, 05:54 AM
I would keep the old school look and rock the modern engine and trans.

Andrew