PDA

View Full Version : Need track wheels

wmhjr
01-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Looking for a set of track wheels for the gto. Ideally 18x8 with 5 1/2 bs for the front, and 18x10 with 6.125 in the back. I don't care at all what they look like. Looking to save some cash and preserve my current wheels and tires. Scratches, curb rash and nicks are welcome.

wmhjr
02-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Bump

wmhjr
03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Bumpity bump...

Flash68
03-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Aren't your sizes pretty close to the CCW's that Rogue is selling?

wmhjr
03-23-2011, 04:34 AM
His are 17s. They won't fit my brakes.

dhutton
03-23-2011, 06:39 AM
If you can get past the slight difference (.6mm) in bolt spacing, used 5 and 7 series BMW wheels are a great option. I have picked up two very nice sets of HRE wheels this way. The offsets have been dead on in both cases. I found one set on ebay and another on a BMW forum. I've also seen good deals on craigslist.

You have to add a hubcentric ring but they are only a few dollars.

Jim Nilsen
03-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Bill, you might not really be up against as much wear as you might think. I had a lot less than I ever thought I would and the only big thing is the brake dust that will show up. The vibe never had much wear on the tires after Gingerman and I was pushing hard in the corners and my TW is 230 on those tires and Road America and Gingerman was just as easy on my BFG's on the Cormaro.

It's nicer to have a set of lightweight wheels and your race tires from what I have seen others do but the cost to do that is pretty high for an investment to try and save money,lol.

It's a tough decision to make but if you have other things to do with the cash that will make the car better or get to another event to have fun I would do those before getting more tires and wheels.

I am looking forward to seeing you at the Motorstate.

Vegas69
03-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi Bill, you might not really be up against as much wear as you might think. I had a lot less than I ever thought I would and the only big thing is the brake dust that will show up. The vibe never had much wear on the tires after Gingerman and I was pushing hard in the corners and my TW is 230 on those tires and Road America and Gingerman was just as easy on my BFG's on the Cormaro.

It's nicer to have a set of lightweight wheels and your race tires from what I have seen others do but the cost to do that is pretty high for an investment to try and save money,lol.

It's a tough decision to make but if you have other things to do with the cash that will make the car better or get to another event to have fun I would do those before getting more tires and wheels.

I am looking forward to seeing you at the Motorstate.

I disagree, my wheels are showing the abuse. Nothing I can't live with but they will take some abuse.