PDA

View Full Version : lets talk fuel baffles

CamaroAJ
01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
i have a tank design i am going to use if i can get the right fuel baffle design. there will be two tanks. i need a pick up in each tank. i was thinking of just using a square box with trap doors but thought i would see if anyone has a better idea/design.

here is the tank design. this is the right tank and the left tank will mirror it.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Jim Nilsen
01-26-2011, 05:18 PM
There are baffles and then there are sumps, I like sumps but had to do baffles myself in my tank.

There are these really neat check balls/valve that work with g force that they have come out with that seam really capable of making it so more than enough fuel gets into the containment area and none wants to get thrown out out. Fuelsafe I think is selling them.

Your tanks will even more of problem because of the inside corner but with 2 tanks it may be an advantage?

Good luck with getting it to work the way you like.

I still keep thinking of adding a sump to the bottom of my tank. I have the room and it would take me right down to the last gallon and maybe the last quart?

CamaroAJ
01-26-2011, 05:54 PM
i do not have the room for a sump so thats out. i have thought about the check balls and it is an option if i can come up with a good design for them to work. what i am leaning towards is 3-5 pick ups in each tank. i plan on using a CTS-V fuel tank internals.

fuel pick ups
http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/pickups.html

CarlC
01-26-2011, 07:25 PM
CTS-V internals? Which parts?

CamaroAJ
01-26-2011, 09:10 PM
as much as i can modify to fit. since it has two sending units/pick ups it should be able to be made to work. have any in site into this for me?

CarlC
01-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I've toying with the CTS-V module for several months.

Check balls/doors are a waste of time and money with a fuel module. They are not needed.

How much horsepower are you going to run? Boost? If so, how much? ECM? Fuel injected?

One of the biggest problems using the CTS-V module is going to be fuel pressure regulation. The regulator that is in the module is 74psi. The regulator is not really a regulator, it's a safety valve. Fuel pressure is controlled on the CTS-V (and the 5th-gen) using the ECM and a fuel system control module by supplying a pulse width modulated signal to the pump. This varies the pump speed to obtain the commanded fuel pressure.

There is a 58psi regulator available for the CTS-V module but unfortunately it starts to crack open at 48-49 psi. That means that there is a whole lot of fuel that is being bypassed vs. being used to power the engine. It cuts the delivery capacity by a significant amount.

It can be done with an external regulator and return system, but that defeats on of the advantages of using these modules. Single line output.

Randy67
02-01-2011, 06:08 AM
It can be done with an external regulator and return system, but that defeats on of the advantages of using these modules. Single line output.

Speaking of modules, I recently changed the fuel pump module on my 03 Sunfire. It still has a return line and a regulator on the fuel rail. A module like that could possibly work in a older car, but I don't know what pressure it runs at or how much it flows.

CamaroAJ
02-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Carl, you are thinking too new of CTS-V, '04-'06 is what i am thinking. they use a two sending unit setup as well. i tried to talk the girlfriend into letting me take the tank out of her '04 V for measurements but she said no lol.

fuel injected LS1, LS1 PCM, i would say a max down the road of 450 rwhp no boost.

PM sent about the newer stuff.