PDA

View Full Version : Kicking off a project, need some advice

glr0212
01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
I've got a 69 camaro that I'm getting ready to start. The majority of the bodywork is done. Car is mini tubbed and has a rough prime coat. It is a roller right now. No glass, no fuel system, no brakes, no interior, basic rear suspension that needs overhauling. Thr front subframe is done and in the car.

I have a drivetrain and a few misc pieces but other than what i've mentioned i'm pretty much starting from scratch.

My question is where should i go from here? Should I get the car painted and then do the mechanical work? Any specific order you guys would recommend?

My initial thought is to do the rear suspension, wiring, and drop the motor in place and then have it painted. I'm assuming the interior should be last.

Honestly i don't have enough cash on hand to complete the car all at once. I plan to get 50-75% done now and then finish it out as cash becomes available over the course of the year. Should i concentrate on the mechanical items and get it painted at the end or should i get the mechanical items roughed out, paint it, and then bring it back to finish the build out?

I know several of you guys have gone through this before so any and all advice on how to project plan this car would be appreciated.

BlackCars
01-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Put the car together first, you may change parts etc and then if you have painted the car its not funny too fix it again.

Paint is the last thing too do

Nessumsar
01-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I would get the car running first, then worry about paint and interior. There is a new "trend" of working on running cars, and it seems to really keep people motivated and spirits high.

507caddy
01-21-2011, 02:15 PM
I have had this issue and it is a lot easier to get motivated to work on a driver as opposed to a paper weight. It is also easier to do a lot of the work when the car can move under its own power, no need to get friends to push around the shop and up onto trailers.

glr0212
01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. Its been a paper weight for 7 years now so I see the beauty of having a car that runs. I cant even remember what that is like at this point.