PDA

View Full Version : Need help with restoring bolts

Morgan
01-20-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm looking for a shop that will clean all the bolts I've removed from projects and then anodize them so that they look good and are durable. Anyone found such a magical place? Basically I'm trying to get the factory bolts that I need to reuse to match the finish on the ones that I have purchased from ARP.

oestek
01-20-2011, 06:57 PM
We use an Eastwood abrasive tumbler to clean factory bolts, it's nice 'cause it takes no labor time.. just dump 'em in and walk away. Then, some are blackened, painted, or you can have them zinc plated by a local plater. Once zinc plated, they can go back in the tumbler with polishing media for a shiny look, or left zinc for an OE appearance. I like OE bolts in many applications, and they clean up nicely. Hope this helps!

Morgan
01-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks Kevin. I have been looking at Eastwood's tumbler but didn't know anyone who has used it and wasn't sure how well it worked. I'll follow your advice, pick up one of those and find a local plater.

Anyone know a good zinc plater up in the New England area?

bdahlg68
01-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Induplate in Rhode Island. They used to to OEM stuff for the company I work for. Not sure they'll do a small lot. Typically these high volume guys charge a lot fee of ~ $500, so not sure it's worth it. Most likely, they'll clean the bolts before plating them.