PDA

View Full Version : EFI 58x and 24x Relutor crank sensor for Early SBC

ChevelleNV
01-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Just ran acros this website a few days ago and am wondering if anyone here has used these guys crank sensors for an early SBC? they basiclly modified the reluctor wheel from a vortec v8 and made a custom timing cover for the early SBC v8's, and I really wanna run DIS on an early v8 and this looks like the solution. so does anyone have any experience with there stuff?

http://www.eficonnection.com/

chickn
01-20-2011, 04:26 PM
I am planning doing to the same thing but with MegaJolt/COP. http://www.autosportlabs.net/Megajolt2 I believe with this system you will be able to run in sequential (w/ cam sensor and crank trigger) or wasted spark mode (crank trigger only). Wasted spark mode will simplify and reduce the cost of the installation since you only need a reluctor wheel and VR sensor . This system is designed to fire coils with internal igniters (LS coil packs). I plan on using MegaJolt in wasted spark mode until I have time to modify a distibuter so I can use it as a cam sensor. MegaJolt has another version that uses a Ford EDIS module to fire coils in waste spark mode. Someone on this site is using Megasquirt III to run COP

Mudweizer
01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
I have been reading about this stuff for 2 weeks now, trying to figure out if it is worth the investment compared to buying a gen3 from the junk yard with trans attached. I have a lot of money tied up in my current gen1.

Hope someone can chime in so I can have more info to read, lol.

What were you planning on using for an intake and throttle body?

ChevelleNV
01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Intake is going to have to be a custom sheet metal, there are no EFI intakes made for my heads (highly ported Brodix Track 1 Heads). as for throttle body not sure yet.

Mudweizer
01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
I have the same heads with no extra porting. I wanted to do a Edelbrock PRO-FLO XT Intake manifold and throttle body with ls3 coils and ecm. I emailed ATI to see how much a 60-2 damper will cost. My plans are to make efi with the ability to tune then add 2 turbos.

Were you planning on doing turbos also?

Mudweizer
01-20-2011, 05:46 PM
I just got the email response from ATI on the damper.

"That would be a custom damper outer shell and total would be 750.00 and we would need to know the timing where the missing teeth are."

Looks like eficonnection beats that route.

ChevelleNV
01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
I have the same heads with no extra porting. I wanted to do a Edelbrock PRO-FLO XT Intake manifold and throttle body with ls3 coils and ecm. I emailed ATI to see how much a 60-2 damper will cost. My plans are to make efi with the ability to tune then add 2 turbos.

Were you planning on doing turbos also?

I would be surprised if the PRO-FLO XT would fit the track 1's, the belive the bolt pattern on the track 1's is a little different then a standard early style head and the port location is raised as well. you might want to call Brodix before sinking your money into a manifold like I did ( I bought a Holley Stealth ram and it wasn't even close to fitting). as for turbos, maybe down the road after its running.

Mudweizer
01-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Did you ever read this: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/dfi-ecm/476926-ls1-pcm-controlled-gen.html ?

ChevelleNV
01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Did you ever read this: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/dfi-ecm/476926-ls1-pcm-controlled-gen.html ?

Ya, that's how I found out about them.

Mudweizer
03-31-2011, 06:03 PM
I made the order for the 24x system, give me a few months to get it running.

Six_Shooter
03-31-2011, 07:06 PM
I was going to suggest looking on TGO for some information on this.

Also there have been a few successful V8 DIS swaps using the Northstar DIS system. I plan to use the N* DIS on a couple of my V8 projects. There is also the LT5 DIS ignition that uses a simpler reluctor wheel than the N* system does, but its much harder to find and more expensive because of that.

What are you using or planning to use for EFI?

As far as swapping from dizzy to DIS and being worth it, in my experience, it was completely worth it. I went from using a dizzy on my Nissan 2.8L I6, that was GM EFI controlled (ECM and ICM), to a GM 60degree V6 DIS module and coils, and the change was VERY noticeable. Smoother idle, more power, reved higher without any signs of ignition break up or stumbling.