PDA

View Full Version : Demon Carb needs heli coil insrts - need a kit

richiedd
01-19-2011, 05:53 PM
OK - seems my (bought new) 850 Mighty Demon has heli coils in the body where the bowl screws go. (Is that even normal?) Don't know how this happened but in taking off the bowl today one of the coils "backed out".

Does anybody know what the "standard" size of these are? Are they interchangable with the Holley's (do they use the same size screws)? Is there any reason not to buy a "generic" heli coil kit (which are cheaper) of the right size or should I stick to the Holley kits (quality?)?
Thanks guys.....I know that you know the answer. Anybody with a link? I see Jegs (510 - 26 - 2) and Summit (HLL-5521-5) as examples of what's available.

Pro Stock
01-19-2011, 06:39 PM
The thread size is 12-24, you can get the thread inserts from NAPA Auto, Autozone or do a Google search to find other suppliers.You might have to wait a day or so to get them from the auto parts stores as they probably won't have them in stock, you only need the inserts and an installation tool, the kit will come with 5 to 10 inserts and an install tool and possibly a tap, it won't hurt to have the tap for future use. If the kit comes with a tap chase the threads and make sure that you bottom the tap to get the threads as deep as possible, clean the tapped hole with brake clean or laquer thinner and blow dry, put at little bit of red loctite on the coil so that it will stay in place in the future, screw it in until flush and then turn it in one turn further, then take a small piece of rod and knock the tang off of the insert and blow it out of the hole - Finished. By the way the inserts don't have to be Helicoil brand, just tell them that you want a Helicoil type insert.

Dale

richiedd
01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
WOW Dale - fantastic reply and detail.....very much appreciated.

Rich