PDA

View Full Version : TKO install/best clutch

68lovebuzz
06-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Hi there, My name is Brian. I have been mostly a reader, posting very seldom, on PT.com. I appoligize ahead of time if this topic has already been covered. Two part question - I recently purchased a TKO600 from Jeff at classic chevy5speed with exceptional customer service I might add. My concern is with the stock GM bellhousing and clutch setup. I believe I had problems with my Muncie due to a misalligned bellhousing. I consider myself a hobby mechanic and was curious if measuring runout using a dial indicator was something a novice could tackle? (I've never used one, nor own one) Also curious if its worth it to upgrade to a McLeod bellhousing/scattershield since I heard you are not required to check for runout? Also which McLeod clutch would be recomended for a SB 350ci with hopefully~ 300HP?? Stage 1/2? The car would hopefully see some 1/4 and track time, but mostly street. Yes I am on a buget but I am a big believer in doing it right the first time.

Thanks ahead for any suggestions/help
keep up the great Tech..Brian

parsonsj
06-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Brian,

You can absolutely measure runout with some basic tools. And you should. The idea is to find out if the center hole of the bellhousing the aligns the transmission is itself aligned with the crankshaft.

I'm trying to remember, but it was covered recently in one of the Primedia mags. I'll dig around for a link.

jp

dhardison
06-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Brian,

Checking runout is a MUST for vibration free trans (it'll also eat pilot bearings). Here are a few links from Lakewood and Centerforce that dictate how to measure runout.

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/web_pages/pell/Tremec/BellhousingAlignmentInstructions.JPG
http://www.chevelles.com/techref/web_pages/pell/Tremec/BellhousingAlignmentInstructions2.JPG

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/web_pages/pell/Tremec/LakewoodInstructionsSmaller.JPG

Also, this is an EXCELLENT page on clutches/bellhousings/linkages/etc. It's based on Jeeps, but is directly related to GM manuals as well. I learned quite a deal from this page when I was installing my TKO.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/clutches_etc.htm

Best of luck!
Dan

Railing68
06-04-2005, 05:10 PM
I have a TKO 600 from jeff and a Mcleod 8036 bell I believe that is the number. You should definitely dial indicate the scattershield. Legs are a good thing to have get the Mcleod. I run the borgen beck 11" with 100 series disc. Mcleod makes good stuff, I think I have a 2400lb PP. You might want to go with a diaprahm style fingered PP, according to Red and George at Mcleod. Might try the adjustable ball stud, I think I will when I remove the trans next time. SS

GMJim
06-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Brian
The Tremec requires a maximum runout of .005" All McLeod scattershields are manufactured to be within that spec. right out of the box. As long as your block has never been line bored/honed the McLeod will be within the maximum .005" specification. All you do is tap the dowels out a little to make room for the extra thickness of the block plate and the thicker scatter shield (the bell housing can't sit on the tapered area of the dowel) and bolt it on. Or you can replace the stock dowels with Moroso extended length dowels. You can pick up an inexpensive ($30.00 to $40.00) dial indicator with a magnetic base at most machine shop supply stores if you want to check it to make sure. Just stick it on the flywheel and measure the runout on the edge of the hole the tranny goes in. Once you get it attached to the flywheel, you will see how to adjust it to work. As far as using a stock housing, you can, but it will likely require lining it up with offset dowels as 30 or so years of stress causes them to be off quite a bit. Doing the offset dowel thing while the engine is in the car can be a challenge. It's much easier to just get the McLeod shield and bolt it on. You will also have the benefit of having blow proof housing if in future you decide to make engine modifications for more power. For your car I would recommend a Luk clutch. They are heavy duty OEM clutches. They are the same clutch GM has been using for years. Yesterdays big block Chevy's used them and todays Corvette also uses them. They are reliable and available at most auto parts stores and they are reasonably priced. I know guys who drag race their street drivers just about every weekend and Luk clutches seem to wear quite well. For your application I would use one.
Hope this helps.
Jim

68lovebuzz
06-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks so much for the in depth response to my question. Definatley a ton of help! Any vender suggestions? otherwise I will check with jegs/summit. Thanks again

andrewb70
06-05-2005, 05:15 PM
You should always double check the bellhousing alignment, no matter what the brand. The problem is usually in the block machining. That's why all Roundy Round race engines get a new bellhousing everytime. The engine builders line them up and install new alignment pins in the block.

Andrew

Steve68
06-06-2005, 04:05 AM
I had a Luk clutch in my Nova with a 420hp SBC, it would slip like no tomorrow, granted I didn't install it so I don't know if it was done right.
But when I took it apart the clutch, PP, and flywheel were blue, cracked in numerous places, GMJim, are the Luk cluthes redesigned, or was my set up too week fot the combo, I talk to the guy who had rebuilt the tranny and installed the clutch, he basically spit in my face,
the T400 is much better for what I use the car for, Steve

chevymike
06-06-2005, 07:52 AM
I went with the McLoud housing as well and checked it. This was on a new ZZ4 crate engine and I had no more then .004 runout. It was within spec so on it went. No problems so far. I went with a 11" Centerforce flywheel and dual friction clutch/pressure plate setup. Again, so far I am really happy with the setup. I haven't pushed it really hard as I am still on the original 10 bolt with peg leg 2.73's. Got to get my 12 bolt swapped soon. Hope this helps.

GMJim
06-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Steve68
At 420 HP you have reached the limits of the Luk stock clutch. The advice I gave Brian was for a 300 HP. engine and he was on a budget. Something we can all understand. GM used this same clutch in the 67 435 HP Corvette as well as the Legendary COPO Chevelles and Camaros and many other applications. Though they ARE NOT made for drag racing and the abuse related to it, they will handle a great deal more than a stock kit clutch available at PEP Boys and other places like that. Many people abuse clutches like holding the car stationary on a hill waiting for a light or useing it as a foot rest while driving on the freeway. Heat is the enemy of a clutch. Keep the clutch cool and it will last a long time. I haven't seen your clutch but by the way you describe it's condition, I would say heat got it. Blue stuff means lots of heat.
If I were going to put a clutch in my muscle car and was going to visit the drag strip frequently, I would install a McLeod dual performance clutch kit. Or for higher horsepower (600 and up) and nitrous or blower/turbo cars I would install a McLeod Street Twin dual disc. McLeod has an undisputed reputation in the clutch and related parts business. Why temp fate for a few bucks. Then again if you like pulling the tranny lots?

Brian
You should be able to find Luk clutches at most auto parts stores. I would recommend a McLeod street stock clutch but they (McLeod) are in the high performance clutch business and I think you would do better on a price with the Luk.
Jim

Steve68
06-06-2005, 05:21 PM
You right Jim, I forgot about his motor being 300 HP, I founf out what kind of clutch it was after I took it out, and started asking Q's,

I think for my Camaro I will go with the clutch you recommened, I've heard good things about the McLeod clutch, Steve

68lovebuzz
06-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Your help is invaluable

GMJim
06-13-2005, 06:01 AM
Glad to help out.
Jim