PDA

View Full Version : What kinds of Bodywork materials do you guys use?

Andrew McBride
06-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Well I know everyone uses different kinds of primers, body fillers, spray guns, paint, ect. I was curious to see what all you guys use and your opinions about the products.

For me,
Paint gun: Binks gun to primer with and a Sharpe gun for paint.
Body fillers: Dynalite
Primers: transtar primers
Paint:
Sanders: basic 6" air sander and 8"

Pretty basic for me but I am still a rookie.

myclone
06-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Sata HVLP gun for paint
El cheapo import/throw away for primer/sealers
Sikkens paint/primers
Hustler air board sander (snap on)
Snap on 6" DA sander for fine work
El cheapo import/throw away DA for heavy work (40 or 80 grit)
3M for my supplies like tape/masking paper/sand paper unless the body shop supply store has something cheaper they want me to try out.

TRILOGYZ28
06-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Sharpe HVLP Cobalt gun for primers
Sharpe HVLP Cobalt gun for basecoats/clearcoats
Diamont primers
Diamont basecoats/clearcoats
Detroit Pneumatic air tools

ProdigyCustoms
06-04-2005, 03:41 AM
For paint:
My new Sata Digital RP makes a Rock Star painter out of you
A couple Sata Jet 90s
Sata NR95
For primer and Poly I just bought a Sata LM2000
A couple cheapys.
I use very little air tools at all:
A bondo eater
A Hutchins DA
Don't own a Air File, do ninty percent of my stuff by hand
Have a large selction of blocks, Dura Blocks ROCK! I like the yellow 3M blocks also.

68protouring454
06-04-2005, 08:18 AM
for paint:]
sata jet rp 1.4 sealer
2-sata nr2000 hvlp 1.3, base/clear
finishline 1.8 urethane primer/**** gun
cheap 2.0 tip, for spray mask/ industrial coatings
anest iwata/air gunsa HTE 3.0 for polyester
air advantage 6 inch da/3/32 orbit
8 inch mud hog
all hand blocks after that, my mudhog will make it straighter than a straightline sander anyway, then its by hand to finish
as frank says durablocks are awesome
sand paper-carborundum premier
paint-standox
tape-american
andrew, i would personally stay away from transtar stuff, it is dirt cheap and not worth the money, there primers shirnk up after time, there clears are way to thin, just a cheapo product, use a paint makers urethen primer, whos ever your gonna paint the car with, goodluck
jake

rockdogz
06-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Looks like Sata is a pretty popular choice for guns... I currently have only a Finishline - maybe I should relegate that to primer only. What's a good Sata gun for a beginner that will make me look good? And where's the best place to buy it - are we talking a $500 gun here?

68protouring454
06-04-2005, 03:54 PM
sata's are a nice peice, frank has sprayed alot so the sata does make it easier, but you still need to watch how the base/clear is going on, your finish line with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip will do a nice job, its just we do it everyday so the less wet sanding the better, no matter if you had a sata, you will have orange peel if you do not paint much, probaly substantial, just get enough clear on there 3-4 coats and go to town, with 1200 then 1500 then 200-2500
goodluck
sata's seem to be the same price everywhere, however you can find them cheap here and there, i may know of a friend who has a limited edition sata jet rp for sale brand new for cheap, but i am in maine, sata's do not wear out, have 2 seals so you do not have to be afraid buying a used one, just make sure to spray some thinner etc thru it to make sure
goodluck
jake

Andrew McBride
06-04-2005, 07:39 PM
excuse my SUBJECT: It should say "What kind of bodywork materials do you guys use?

Thanks for the input on transtar stuff. I was told by a local shop to go with transtar for my current project. I have quickly found out that transtar is not the product I should be using. You know one thing I have learned is that this paint stuff in pretty in-depth. My family doesn't do bodywork so I haven't inherited any skills or tips. I have read every paint and bodywork book out there and still feel pretty un-educated when it comes to paint and primers. Is there a book "Auto Paint for Dummies???"

I started to buy a SATA, but I don't have a perfect paint shop so I thought I would wait till I get out of school and build my own shop w/ a paint booth before going with a serious paint gun. Eventually all turn this Sharpe into a primer gun.

ProdigyCustoms
06-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Jake, what's cheap? I paid $440 for my RP. I am a gun collector, LOL!

Happyfunballs
06-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Sata 2000 digital for base
Sata 2000 digital for clear
Ancient Binks for primer
Iwata and Paache Airbrushes
2K primer most of the time
Paint is 95% House of Kolor, but have a cabinet full of PPG, DuPont, SW, etc
Fillers are all Evercoat
Own a cheapy DA, but never use it. Everything is sanded by hand.

**mental note: Get Durablock set**

Duesey
06-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Devilbiss GTI topcoat
Sharpe Finex 1.8 Primer
Entire lineup of AdjustFlexSand adjustable board sanders. Couldn't live without em!
Ingersoll 6" and 8" DA that don't get used much
Klingspor Paper best I've found
Hutchins water DA
Buckeye 9" and 5" air grinders for metal finishing

Travis B
06-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Sata Guns across the board here
Standoxs' full ine of products(good S**t)
3M sandpaper, buffing pads, compound, sanding blocks