PDA

View Full Version : Help! Question for key decision makers, C level types or C level sales people

BirdsThaWord
01-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi everyone! I have a question that may seem wierd to post in this arena, but I'm hoping one of you may have the answer to.

I'm involved with a renewable and alternative energy company that has an energy saving product specifically designed and engineered for commercial and industrial applications. Since I'm taking over the department, I have to be able to get in front of C level managers, or at least facility managers, to show them what we have and what it can do for them (save them a lot of money). Although I am capable of speaking to them once there, and I'm knowledgeable about the product, I don't know how to get to their ears, past the receptionists, etc. that weed out percieved disturbances.

If you are a C level type, how do people get an appointment with you? If you are a C level sales person, how do you get an appointment with the decision makers?

Any and all help from those in the know would be greatly appreciated! I absolutely beleive in the product as we have already done it for a few companies and they LOVE it! I know I have something of value to show them, I just need to get in front of them. Help if you can!

Ron.in.SoCal
01-18-2011, 06:42 PM
What you're asking for is a closely guarded secret and will cost you dearly....but I'll help!

Also understand that I just got off work and really one could write a book on the subject, so I'll high light a few points and if you want a primer PM me and we'll have a discussion on the phone. My first suggestion - Marketing. Get some product information out there where your target audience will see it. The AFSMI would be a good place to start - national and local chapters. Google it, join, show up to meetings regularly, advertise in their newsletter, do webinars, take advatage of speaking opportunities, and get a singer to evangelize. Second - you're going to need a case study. Pick an industry vertical (big box retailers. 3PL's?) and buy yourself a reference. Throw your product at them for low/no cost in exchange for their support. Then telemarket to their competitors with real ROI in hand and always close on the appoitnment. Third - look for complimentary products - compaines that are targeting the same buyer with non competitive products. Give them a referral fee for every appointment and more duckets for every deal that closes as a result. You'd be surprised what a cash incentive will do to a complimentary field sales team. Fourth - nothing takes the place of hard work and don't ever give up. Every 'No,' every slammed door is actually money in your pocket. If you get a little down one day, hang it up and try again tomorrow. Fifth - ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be professional, no matter what. This will pay dividends one day even when you're in the moment and think it won't.

There's more, but after a long day I'm tierd. I may go back and re-read my response and add some stuff later. Good luck Bro....

fletcherscustoms
01-19-2011, 05:18 AM
shoot me a PM I am also in the renewable energy field with biomass and alternative fuel burning equipment.

BirdsThaWord
01-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Ron, Thanks brother. Some great points there and I intend to apply them. We do have some case studies already. The selling part is easy, just the getting in front of em part that I needed help with, but I have some great news since my first post...I posted a little ad on craigslist offering $ for C level contacts and VOILA! I truly believe that I won't need to prospect at all. A few people responded who have a gazillion contacts!!! From each of those sales I'll get referralls, so the rest should be history. Thankfully we have enough margin to throw some really good bird dog money at them, so it should perpetuate itself.

shmoov69
01-22-2011, 08:01 AM
What did your CL ad say? Have you verified any of the contacts and how much did it cost?
I'm asking for because of the same reasons you posted.
Thanks

BirdsThaWord
01-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Shmoov, I titled it "Do you know these people"? I did that, because I figured a lot of people would look at it just to see if they knew who I was asking about. The ad went something like this: "Do you know anyone at the corporate level (CEO, CFO, COO, Plant or facility manager) at any of the companies in and around Central Florida? If so I will reward you handsomely ($200-$10,000) if you can put me in cantact with them.

I called the people that responded and all three seem to have enough contacts to keep me busy. All had either close, personal relationships with multiple C level types, or had done business with them. From the twenty or so companies that one rattled off and the referalls that will come from all of that business, I don't think I'm going to have any marketing issues. I geuss if I slow down, I can always run another ad!!! I sure am thankfull for Craigslist!

There was no cost for the ad. They don't charge for them in my area. I posted in the job section under sales. Hope this helps!

shmoov69
01-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks man! How did you "scale" the payment? Sorry for the Q's, this is just out of my realm and I do commercial/industrial roofing and am always looking to get into a new place. Since as you already know, it is hard to get thru the "gatekeeper"!

BirdsThaWord
01-23-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm paying 5% of gross just for the contact, if they buy. If a personal introduction is made, or the appointment is set by the bird dog, I'll pay them 7% of gross. Luckily, I have enough room to do so. I'm hoping one of these people will step up and want to sell on their own. If so, we pay a 15% commission. Being that some orders are $100k and even as much as $1m, they stand to make a nice chunk of change for their efforts. Down side is that it takes 2 mos for anyone to get paid as we let the business try our system for 60 days to see that the savings are real, before they commit to purchase.