PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Starting a New Magazine

Gitter Dun
01-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Currently stuck on a name. Emphasis will be on club racing cars, builds, road racing/time trial events including club events hosted by SCCA, NASA, Speed Ventures, NCRC, Track Masters, etc., etc..

To much info to post so let me get to the point. Aside from nailing down the name I am also looking for the following:

1) Graphic Artist
2) Web Designer
3) Writers with photography skills
4) Coloumnists

I'm trying this on a shoe string budget and am hoping I can get your help to launch this thing.

Hoping to have proof's completed by October of this year.

Thanks!!

Gitter Dun
01-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the PM's guys.

Still need to narrow down name. This is what I have so far. If anyone would like to add to the list have at it.

Options:

Track Junky
Club Racer
Road Racer
Chicane
Track Enthusiast
Sportsman Racer

Nessumsar
01-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I personally really like Track Junky. It doesn't pin you down to one type of racing, like Road Racer would; and it appeals to everyone, where as Club Racer and Sportsman Racer may turn some people off.

You could do something like: Track Junky, your fix for fast cars.

Tony_SS
01-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Track Attack?

Gitter Dun
01-17-2011, 04:42 PM
I personally really like Track Junky. It doesn't pin you down to one type of racing, like Road Racer would; and it appeals to everyone, where as Club Racer and Sportsman Racer may turn some people off.

You could do something like: Track Junky, your fix for fast cars.

You make a good point but I've had a few negative feed backs on that one from other forums.

Thanks for the input, keep-em coming!!

KacyZ28
01-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Lateral Assault

showa
01-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Track Junky
Track Daze
Twisted Wheel
G Ticket Ride
Twisted Streets
Twisted Road
Twisties
The Edge
Ultimate Curves

justasquid
01-18-2011, 03:21 AM
I really like chicane.

I like track junky, but I've also seen that one a lot with websites, actual track day events... that sort of thing. I don't know that there is a magazine, but a lot of that term being used. Which could be great since its a term many use already.

I also like Track Daze..

Some that I thought of:
G-times
Lateral Fever
Lateral Life

Also, don't forget that 3 letter titles can be quite appealing. Just name it something like PTE in large letters, then under those letters in small print, have what those letters stand for..something like protouring cars exposed.... or someting. I think the way the name is presented is just as, if not more important than the actual name.

Gitter Dun
01-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the input and PM's guys. I just wrapped up a meeting with a production company. They like the idea and are going to invest for a 20% piece. The name we have decided on is "Chicane" with a subtitle that we haven't nailed down yet.

The content will concentrate on road racing, time trials, and autocross. Most importantly it will be about the people. This will be a for the people by the people magazine and will include folks from a few different forums. Kind of like a Facebook but in print.

I am shooting for fun and excitement with lots of action.

In the mean time, I still need to find more writers and photographers so that I could cover a larger demographic area so if you are interested PM me.

Nessumsar
01-18-2011, 02:27 PM
I can provide photos of the events that I attend. Looking to attend around 10 events this year, mainly Good Guys and hopefully some open track days. By no means am I a professional, but if you could use a photo I would be glad to contribute.

Chicane: for men who love curves.

Gitter Dun
01-18-2011, 02:54 PM
I can provide photos of the events that I attend. Looking to attend around 10 events this year, mainly Good Guys and hopefully some open track days. By no means am I a professional, but if you could use a photo I would be glad to contribute.

Thanks Jon, PM sent.

sunkistcamaro
01-18-2011, 08:11 PM
I cant wait to subscribe to your mag!

CamaroAJ
01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
i'm going to send you a PM as soon as i get the guys contact info. he is a local writer for auto blog IIRC and is always doing something.

Gitter Dun
01-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks for your interest guy's, keep it coming!! Initial start up is certainly not going to be an easy endeavor and I can use all the help I can get!!

Derek69SS
01-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Sounds cool!

Is this mag going to be vintage car based, American car based, or a mix of everything?
Also, is it going to focus more on the cars, or the competition/driving?

Gitter Dun
01-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Sounds cool!

Is this mag going to be vintage car based, American car based, or a mix of everything?
Also, is it going to focus more on the cars, or the competition/driving?

Hi Derek, I am certainly going to throw alot of emphasis towards our modern day vintage racers. Also included will be the NASA American Iron and Camaro Mustang Challenge guys which will mostly be comprised of 3rd gen and up Mustangs and Camaros. In addition I would like to include PT events such as the Motor State challenge, etc. not to mention SCCA Solo autocross events. Main focus will be on competition driving and the people behind the wheel.

Once again, most importantly it will be driven by the people. Input will be taken form NASA, PT, Lat-G, Corner Carver, etc forums and the people you interact with on a day to day basis within these forums.

Thanks for you interest!!

MrQuick
01-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Do it! Do it nowwwwww!!! Lol

zbugger
01-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Do it! Do it nowwwwww!!! Lol

Oh sit down.....

MrQuick
01-20-2011, 10:01 PM
sorry, didn't see you down there

Gitter Dun
01-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Hey Allen, Hey Vince. Good to hear from you guy's.

Gitter Dun
01-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the interest and PM's guys I appreciate it. I am currently working on a compensation scale for writers and photographers and hope to have something nailed down by the end of the week. Obviously compensation will depend on experience and content. If writing and photography is your gig please let me know what you feel you are worth. If you are an ameature dont be afraid to turn something in although I may edit the **** out of it.

I will buy rights to your stories and pics for a disclosed amount of time which means I may own them for a year or so and after that you may do as you please with them. Disclosures may differ per individual contract.

I am now excepting stories, tech, and pics. All stories to be in Microsoft Word and all pics 300 DPI. Please e-mail all stories and pics to [email protected].

This will be an on going deal so there will be no deadlines!! If your story/pic gets used you will be compensated!!

Reminder: This is a motorsports magazine. If you or your friend are running your car on road courses in road races or time trials I am interested. If you are running SCCA Solo autocross. If you are runnung any PT autocross events I am interested. If you are getting ready/prepping car/building car for an event I am interested. If you are doing laps in a race car in your back yard I am interested. If you cant write or take pics I will send someone out to do the story.

Thanks guys, any questions please feel free to PM or e-mail me

68Formula
01-21-2011, 10:23 AM

That makes it sound like a perfume.

Scene cuts to woman inexplicitly running through a field in a frilly dress and high heels
Female actress: "His eyes arrested me... I could not bear the torture."
Male actor: "She slithers in the night."
Narrator: "Chicane.... for men who love curves."

Nessumsar
01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
That makes it sound like a perfume.

Scene cuts to woman inexplicitly running through a field in a frilly dress and high heels
Female actress: "His eyes arrested me... I could not bear the torture."
Male actor: "She slithers in the night."
Narrator: "Chicane.... for men who love curves."

Wow... Didn't see that coming! I actually lol'd