PDA

View Full Version : my 2006 Mustang GT engine

2blownstangs
01-14-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm currently doing a 5.4 swap in my Mustang and would like to sell my long block. It's the 3V SOHC 4.6 V8 motor. It has 47k miles on it and runs strong with no known issues. I am swapping over some of the parts for the new motor so here is what the 4.6 DOES NOT come with:
PS pump
AC
engine harness
fuel rails
Everything else is there and ready to roll. Any ideas on how much it's worth? Thanks guys.

Matt@BOS
01-15-2011, 08:23 PM
How badly do you want to sell the engine? because prices vary a ton. I just spent the last month looking for a pull out mod motor, mostly 4.6 3Vs and aluminum block 4Vs to build, and saw prices from about $1700 to $3500 for the 3Vs. Prices didn't seem to correlate much with mileage either. While there weren't a ton for sale, none of the ones that I was looking at sold, so there doesn't seem to be much of a demand.

Personally I think the 4.6 3Vs are great little motors and are just a rotating assembly and supercharger away from making big power. They're light weight and can make 650 at the crank all day long.

Anyway, I'm just curious, but what kind of 5.4 are you building?

Matt

2blownstangs
01-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Hey Matt,
I've been looking around the net for the 3V engine prices and to sell it rather quickly I settled on around $800 or so. If I were someone with a project or a 2V guy wanted to upgrade a few horsepower on the cheaper end of the pool, I would go with this 3V. I guess we will see though.

I'm in the process of swapping in a mostly stock 2003 5.4 2V Lightning motor. I know, I know, hear it all the time. Why a 2V from a 3V. There are a few reasons, I got a great used motor for a killer deal and I've always wanted a Mustang with the blower sticking out of the hood. The low end tq on the 5.4 (let alone the SC'c version) is very nice and I can bolt a 5 spd to it without much trouble. If I can find a good deal on a set of forged pistion and rods and maybe cams, I will up the boost at that point. No real rush with that because the power is there from the OEM. Did you find the 3V you were looking for? What are you building?

Matt@BOS
01-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Is the height on the 5.4 2V Lightning motor appreciably taller than the 4Vs? I know people had to cut their hoods to fit them in the SN95 platform, but I guess I just assumed they would fit fine in the S197s because of the GT500.

If you had posted your question last Wednesday, I would have been all over your motor. On Thursday night however, I found a killer deal on a complete 2011 GT500 drivetrain with 250 miles on it, which was simply too good to pass up. Now I just have to make a little '65 Mustang fit around it.

Keep us all posted on your swap, and let us know how it runs when you get it all together! As you said these blown motors have a ton of torque, ( I think mine has 400 lb-ft. from 1700rpm in stock trim), so they should be fun.

Matt

Matt

2blownstangs
01-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Nice project you have going. That '65 will really stand out within the 1st Gen population. The 5.4 deck is about 1.5 inches taller than the 4.6 2&3V motors, I'm not sure about the Shelby or Termi motors height though. I love my Gt500 drivetrain as well. We have a 2010. I would make a build thread on here but it's kinda late in the game now because the motor is almost finished, just waiting on lil odds and ends.