PDA

View Full Version : wire size question

svt 2000
01-11-2011, 12:10 PM
hey guys dumb when it comes to audio stuff...If i want to install a 4 channel amp at 60 watts per channel what size wire would you run to each speaker? The system will not get pushed that hard but I don't want to undersize it either. Thanks.

_kris

RSX302
01-13-2011, 09:11 PM
hey guys dumb when it comes to audio stuff...If i want to install a 4 channel amp at 60 watts per channel what size wire would you run to each speaker? The system will not get pushed that hard but I don't want to undersize it either. Thanks.

_kris

There are many different brands to choose from, but I typically use 18ga for highs, 16ga mids/lows and fullrange speakers. 12ga for subs.

16 or 18ga for 60watts is more than adequate for fullrange speakers. These gauges are pretty standard stuff if you go to any stereo store. You could get away with smaller/cheaper wire, but I choose to spend a few bucks more and get a little bigger/better wire. That's just me...

RSX302
01-13-2011, 09:26 PM
One more thing to add..wire with more smaller copper strands within the same gauge wire will handle more power and be better overall. So a good smaller 18ga could be better than a larger crappy 16ga...

overZealous1
01-15-2011, 12:45 PM
amps don't really have a strict regulation for rating wattage. there are 45watt amps that can bridge to 700+ and 700 watt rated amps that could only do it if hit by lightening!
what rsx302 was saying about wire sizing for different speakers can help protect speakers from being overpowered, but a good crossover system will go a long ways in protecting your speakers properly. not to mention better sound by sending only the correct frequencies to the correct speaker meant to play them.
back to your question. a good rule of thumb to check the quality of your equipment is to look at the signal to noise ratio (db's the equipment will produce at one watt measured at one meter). that is the only true regulation you can base descisions off of. a s/n ratio in the 80-90 range should hit the trash. 90-95 is ok if you just like to have sound. 95-100 is where alot of good brand names will land. 100-105 and you gotta start really planning your system to take advantage of the extra money you spent. 105-110 if your stuff is hitting here, you would already know all of this! haha
manufacturers can put any rating on the amp they like. another rule of thumb is to look at the fuses on the amp. i have seen 44watt amps have 3-25amp fuses (competition that can bridge to 0.25ohm and produce 700+) and 1000watt amps with one 25amp fuse that would have so much distortion it would blow your speakers.
16ga is a safe bet. it will cover a pretty wide range of wattage and power requirements. and yes, finer strands create more surface area for the electricity to flow. electricity travels on the outside of a wire, not through it. more strands, more surface area.