PDA

View Full Version : Header Modifications

EFI69Cam
06-01-2005, 06:27 AM
In order to clear the steering shaft on the Unisteer rack I had to cut out part of the #1 tube on my Super Comps. My question is how much will the headers be affected by adding length to that tube, since they are supposed to be equal lenth?

68LSS1
06-01-2005, 09:53 PM
None. Although they are probably advertised as equal length I'm sure they are not. Adding a bend that creates a restriction could hurt but adding length won't.

scogin918
06-02-2005, 04:21 AM
Most "equal length" headers are usually within 4" of each other. That seems to be the case across the board. I had a set custom made and it was tough to get each tube the same length.

EFI69Cam
06-02-2005, 05:28 AM
None. Although they are probably advertised as equal length I'm sure they are not. Adding a bend that creates a restriction could hurt but adding length won't.

That is the quandry. The more length I add, the less restrictive the bends. If +/- 4" is with design spec, I won't worry.

Thanks for the input.

astroracer
06-02-2005, 05:59 AM
Check out this article in Super Chevy...
http://www.superchevy-web.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/exhaust/0504sc_header/
Car Craft also had a very comprehensive header article in the last couple of months.

68LSS1
06-02-2005, 08:23 AM
According to the May 05 PHR article "Exhaust System Demystified" it says "...pipe lengths varying by as much as 9 inches have little effect on performance." If you haven't read it I strongly suggest you do. It's got to be the best exhaust article I've read.

EFI69Cam
06-02-2005, 11:54 AM
According to the May 05 PHR article "Exhaust System Demystified" it says "...pipe lengths varying by as much as 9 inches have little effect on performance." If you haven't read it I strongly suggest you do. It's got to be the best exhaust article I've read.

PHR is hard to find around here, but I will look around. Thanks!