PDA

View Full Version : Finally some progress!!

awr68
08-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Here's some pics of the AME roll bar I'm installing...not quite finished but getting closer. I still have to install the harness bar/Chassisworks swingout kit. Notice that I installed the main hoop at a slight angle so it would be hidden behind the quarter window trim, just like Mark did on the Mule. Also I planned on using side (door) bars w/ swingouts but the deluxe door panel gets in the way...so at most, a removable sill bar will be installed....not a real huge deal since I really only planned on a 4pt bar anyways. I'm realy pleased with how tight the main hoop fits and you can see I opted for the bent rear bars...probably a good idea. You can see all the pics so far at My Page (http://tony.jbworks.com/camaro/default.aspx) in the '68' folder on page 10. Also, I finished raising the trans tunnel 3/4" to fit the T56...this was nessary since I used 1/2" lower body mounts...won't ever do that again!!

Ralph LoGrasso
08-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Looking good!!

awr68
08-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks Bro!! I resized the pics for easier viewing..man it almost got the best of me... :eek:

Fastcat72
08-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Way to go..! My friend Nitrovette and I just finish painting my roll bar today. We will be installing it soon. Its a good feeling when you make some progress. Your roll bar look really good!

907rs
08-30-2004, 02:26 AM
Looks good Anthony!

derekf
08-30-2004, 02:59 AM
Very nice.

awr68
08-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys!! I'll post more once it's all finished....:)

Salt Racer
08-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Anthony,
Looks good. Paint the bars flat (or 10~20% gloss) black, tint the windows and the hoop will be hidden pretty well from the outside. Good job!

K

zbugger
08-30-2004, 07:55 PM
I do expect a ride if I ever make it up there Anthony. That thing looks great.

awr68
08-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Katz, thanks for the paint info...I was planning on painting the whole inside/underside with Por15...but since it isn't the best for UV, the bar will most likely get top coated with paint...good to know what amount of gloss to use. You may want to keep some of these pics on file as it would have been nice to see an installed bar before I purchassed mine...I can send you some once it'a all finished....

Allen, I'll have you up for the first shake down trip!! Or would you rather wait to slide it around PIR during an open track day?!? :)

zbugger
08-30-2004, 08:48 PM
What?!?!?! Not both?!?!?! :crying:

awr68
08-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Oh, ok you can have both....man I'm going to be a terriable parent giving in that easy!! :)

zbugger
08-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Yes you are.... and I already need a diaper change....

awr68
08-30-2004, 09:03 PM
I'll have to get Jen for that!!

Rick Dorion
08-31-2004, 03:37 AM
Great pics. What kind of rear seat are you going to do? I too have a cross member in my vert (S&W). I put the stock rear interior back in and am modifying a 2000 Camaro seat back so the car looks 'complete'. No way anyone will sit back there with my 8-pt cage!

68protouring454
08-31-2004, 04:29 AM
looks great ant, i was wondering how the ame bar fit?? did you cut and lengthien it to get it that close to the side panels in back?? also is it that close to the roof also?? looks real nice, plus it looks out of the way at least as much as it can be, please let me know, also how much was the bar??
jake

awr68
08-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Rick, I'm using a stock rear seat...it took a little trimming for the mini-tubs and 4-bar...but now it actually fits good.

Jake, the main hoop comes a couple inches long so you can fit it as close to the headliner as possible...this was very nice! Mine is about an inch from the headliner at the bends. No, I didn't have to cut and add any to get it this wide either, that's just the way it came...actually it's just what I wanted!! The price is $140 for the 4-point bar and $40 extra for the bent rear bars. The 8pt kit I bought was $235+shipping=$335....but remember I couldn't use the side bars with my deluxe door panels so I could have saved $55 if I just got the 4pt...oh well live and learn. :)

Salt Racer
09-01-2004, 03:53 PM
Anthony,
Actually I just used those numbers b/c it seemed right. I know for sure that you want to keep the shininess down, but totally flat black is kinda boring (to me anyway). I've used 15% gloss black powder coating on some chassis parts before, and I like how they look. PPG also has paint with 'soft' finish (I forgot what they're called). My boss used some of those on the dash of '55. It almost looks like leather upholstery.

I saved those pics. Send us some more when you finish it!

Milow68
09-02-2004, 06:54 AM
I like the bar layout!!!
KUDOS

Brad

awr68
09-02-2004, 03:51 PM
K, I plan on using Por15 chassis black (I think) under the car and inside and will most likely shoot the bar at the same time with it...other than the fact that Por15 doesn't hold up well to the UV rays I think it is basically the look I want...but so that I don't have to repaint later I'm sure I'll top coat it while I'm i there. I'll send you more pics when the install is finished...hopefully by the end of the weekend...if all goes well. :)

Brad, thanks for the kind words...I too like how it's turning out, it takes a lot of planning and extra work to get the most usable interior/trunk space as possible and hide the main hoop behind the 1/4 glass trim...but I can already tell it's way worth the effort!! :)