PDA

View Full Version : Another question from a Newb...........

PairOf69's
05-30-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm planning on doing the body work on my 69 camaro, now I dont plan on having the color shot right away. I've read about the different primers and was wondering which one would be best for my application, etch? epoxy?. I've heard different opinions on both, how etch does'nt like putty over it, or how epoxy does'nt sand worth a crap? can someone point me in the right direction.

68protouring454
05-31-2005, 04:40 AM
if it is going to take 3-4 months or more to do body work i would suggest 1-2 coats of epoxy, then sand as needed to do body work, then once ready for urethane high build primer, sand with 220 or so, you just do not want to block sand it, it will clog finer paper quick, may standox ep precoat is catalyzed and sand very decent for epoxy
goodluck
jake

PairOf69's
05-31-2005, 09:17 AM
if it is going to take 3-4 months or more to do body work i would suggest 1-2 coats of epoxy, then sand as needed to do body work, then once ready for urethane high build primer, sand with 220 or so, you just do not want to block sand it, it will clog finer paper quick, may standox ep precoat is catalyzed and sand very decent for epoxy
goodluck
jake

So I should shoot the epoxy over the bare metal? I don't want to sand the epoxy with anything finer than 220? is that right. thanks for the reply

68protouring454
05-31-2005, 11:13 AM
epoxy is made to go over bare metal, on places that need body work i would sand it real well to almost burning thru to the bare metal(with 80 grit), do body work, then once body work is done areas that have not been sanded i would sand with 220
jake