PDA

View Full Version : Father & Son team checkin' in....

Bryan O
12-11-2010, 07:15 AM
:drive:....and saying hello from Carlsbad, CA.

My son's name is Trevor and I am Bryan.

Trevor is 12 and we went to the Vista Rod Run this past summer. He really liked the older cars and particularly the 1st gen Camaros. It struck me then that building a car with Trevor would be a great experience for the both of us. If we did the lion's share of the work ourselves. :yeah: I didn't want to simply pay somebody to build the entire car for us.

So, we bought a '67 Camaro project about a month later. :woot:

Next we had to find someone willing to take us on in some sort of an "owner participation" role. Because I knew next to nothing about cars. :help!:

Luckily we met the good folks at Best of Show Coachworks in San Marcos!! Jon, Chris, Jesus and D!ck. :hail:

So, the goal is to build, or should I say rebuild, a good classic ride for Trevor by the time he's of driving age. However, the '67 is not simply a gift. Trev knows he's gotta earn it. Stay commited to his family. Keep doing his best in school. Keep walking the straight line staying out of trouble and the car's all his when he turns 16. Of course, when it comes to actually building the car, no sittin' around cheering Dad on from the sidelines. Dad's not gonna be the only guy in the family with busted knuckles. :)

None of that is a problem though. Trevor is a wonderful kid. He loves his family, works very hard at school and gets good grades. He runs with a good group of close friends and stays out of trouble.

AND he has become obsessed with his Camaro. He busted his knuckles alright and had the teardown phase of his car pretty much complete in about a month. Here's a picture of his ride when we got it home to our garage:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/12/SDC10126-1.jpg

Now here's the thing. Trevor immediately got a good case of OCD (obsessive Camaro disorder) upon seeing those Camaros at the Rod Run. And it didn't take me long to get striken as well. I quickly realized the keys would weigh a hundred pounds as I handed them over to Trev on his 16th BDay. So, you guessed it. I found myself a '69 Camaro.

Here she is fresh out of the Mohave desert:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/12/SDC10034-1.jpg

And here she is at BOS just before being sent out for media blasting:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/12/IMAG0059-1.jpg

We'd like to say hello again to the Pro-Touring gang. Thanks for putting together such an incredible website. Priceless!

And I want to shout out a special thank you to Frank at Prodigy. He spent an hour and a half of his valuable time listening to me and talking with me about our project. He gave some excellent advice that a newbie needs to hear. And beyond that he actually talked me out of sending him Trevor's car!! He realized how important it is for me and Trev to work on the cars so he suggested finding someone local we could work with. And if we couldn't he'd be glad to build us a painted roller we could finish off in our garage. That was very classy of you Frank!

So, the '69 comes back from media blasting tomorrow. Trevor and I are going to BOS and begin doing some work on our cars there tomorrow. I'll be posting a "project update" thread soon and I'm going to prod Trev to create one of his own. He's kinda shy but I'm thinking he'll get over that shortly. He was full of questions for the BOS guys today. Finally came out of his shell. :)

Thanks again Pro-Touring. Hello from Trevor and Bryan. You'll be seeing alot of us in the near future.

Bullockracing
12-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Welcome - great project! Meaning the father and son part - looking to get something together with my 14 yo as well...

CruizinKev
12-12-2010, 12:25 AM
welcome aboard! very nice project - good luck!!

67 ls1 vert
12-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Hey Bryan, and Trevor... welcome to pt.com... lots of cool idea's and people here. You can ask anything about your project here and the guys are for the most part pretty nice about helping you out.

Let me know if you need something, just pm me.

Bryan O
12-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys. We'll get those build threads started asap. We've got a lot of parts that have arrived at BOS. :yum:

I love Christmas time. :)

martin 1768
12-13-2010, 12:56 AM
Welcome to the site.
keep up the good work, looking forward to follow your build
Martin