PDA

View Full Version : T-56 Reverse Lockout Bypass

protour70
05-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Does any aftermarket manufacture have a shifter to bypass the reverse lockout selenoid? The main reason I ask is because I have a whole lot more room with it removed w/o cutting more tunnel. CAN YOU RUN WITH IT REMOVED? Or is it possible to go from 4th to Rev. ( bypassing 5th) And grenade the Trans? Thanks Mike

andrewb70
05-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Does any aftermarket manufacture have a shifter to bypass the reverse lockout selenoid? The main reason I ask is because I have a whole lot more room with it removed w/o cutting more tunnel. CAN YOU RUN WITH IT REMOVED? Or is it possible to go from 4th to Rev. ( bypassing 5th) And grenade the Trans? Thanks Mike

You can certainly run with it removed, however that idea is :screwy: .

It is very possible to put the tranny into reverse from 4th without the solinoid. Do what you have to do to the tunell in order to keep it.

Andrew

protour70
05-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Thats what I had a fear of. Its just so much cleaner w/o a hump/bump there. Thanks... I wonder if theres a market?????......

andrewb70
05-31-2005, 02:37 PM
I suppose that a sifter can be made in such a way that it would have a small second lever on the side to "unlock" the reverse gate.

Andrew

apex69
06-01-2005, 08:32 AM
You can modify the existing mechanical part of the lock out by taking it apart removing the snap ring and puling out the internal mechanism. You need to remove the c-clip to install the spring on the opposite end of the shaft and insert one washer each one either side of the spring. Reinstall the c-clip then compress the assembly together in order to reinstall the snap-ring.

You have now eliminated the electromagnetic growth from the mechanical part of the lock out. This keeps enough spring load (K, constant) pressure to keep the lever from engaging reverse. It has a feel when putting it into reverse somewhat like that of putting a 4 speed into reverse with a touch more resistance.

I wish I had taken pictures of this when I preformed the op. BTW you will need a threaded plug to put the o-ring on from where the solenoid went. I had a low profile hex bolt made from aluminum.

The order of assembly may be out of sequence but you’ll see what I mean when you get it apart.

protour70
06-01-2005, 04:53 PM
APEX, Thanks As I was looking into this same kind of theory. It definately shortens up the unit. I will give it a try and take pics for future users. The threaded plug is not a problem. Thanks for your input. M

MarkM66
06-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Ever get any pics of this? I'm putting a t56 in now, and I can't go into reverse with it as it is. I need to modify it, or remove it. Is there a way to unlock in electronically?

APEX, Thanks As I was looking into this same kind of theory. It definately shortens up the unit. I will give it a try and take pics for future users. The threaded plug is not a problem. Thanks for your input. M

Happyfunballs
06-20-2005, 11:24 AM
I think it's just a 12 volt solenoid that only takes a few amps to engage. I'm thinking of installing a 6 speed shifter ball with a button that is connected to the solenoid. $50 in Jegs for the ball. You'll need to find a GM Coolant Temperature Sensor Socket (they say its a Mighty Might #85100 available at most auto parts stores) to make it plug right in. I have yet to do it, this is just the info from the research I've done. I've also seen that solenoid hooked directly up to the brakes....that may be how the factory does it.

Edit: Here's that ball.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/06/5301630052-1.jpg

Overkill
06-20-2005, 03:56 PM
I wired mine in so that it gets a signal from the brake switch. When you put on the brakes it unlocks the solenoid so that it will go in to reverse. Someone previously gave a "what if" of down shifting from 6th to 5th and hittting the brakes. We'll see if that happens...

Michael

MarkM66
06-21-2005, 06:37 AM
I wired mine in so that it gets a signal from the brake switch. When you put on the brakes it unlocks the solenoid so that it will go in to reverse. Someone previously gave a "what if" of down shifting from 6th to 5th and hittting the brakes. We'll see if that happens...

Michael

Probably very slim. I don't think you'd ever really need to go from 6th to 5th. If you'd slowing down, and need to get going again, 5th isn't much lower then 6th.

Thanks for the info.

FScope
06-25-2005, 08:26 PM
I have mine hooked up to the brake also, and have downshifted from sixth to reverse (was looking for fifth while on the brakes) about twice. It won't engage fully but will grind real bad. after two times you become very conscience of what you are doing when you downshift. now it's either down shift from sixth to fifth with no brake, if braking is necesary only downshift to fourth or below.

protour70
06-28-2005, 03:05 PM
I have taken pics of the manual set up for anyone who's interested, Email me. M

protour70
07-30-2005, 06:21 PM
:smoke: It works great. M

Mkelcy
07-31-2005, 04:51 AM
I think it's just a 12 volt solenoid that only takes a few amps to engage. I'm thinking of installing a 6 speed shifter ball with a button that is connected to the solenoid. $50 in Jegs for the ball. You'll need to find a GM Coolant Temperature Sensor Socket (they say its a Mighty Might #85100 available at most auto parts stores) to make it plug right in. I have yet to do it, this is just the info from the research I've done. I've also seen that solenoid hooked directly up to the brakes....that may be how the factory does it.

Edit: Here's that ball.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/06/5301630052-1.jpg

Exactly what I did. Works great.

Moose
04-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Great info. Has anyone else done anything different to make the lock out work?

69X22
06-13-2010, 03:54 AM
I bought a nice turn signal lever for my truck that has a small switch on the very tip, I then hooked it up to a relay that operates the transbrake. It has worked flawless for many years. You can get them from places that sell streetrod parts, maybe even Watsons wiring. I am going with cruise control on my Camaro so I will have to figure out another way.

69X22
06-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Oh yeah I just checked it was Watsons where I got the lever, they also make a tilt lever with a switch and it comes with a relay.

Mkelcy
06-13-2010, 06:09 AM
Oh yeah I just checked it was Watsons where I got the lever, they also make a tilt lever with a switch and it comes with a relay.

That's a good idea. Ron Francis Wiring has something similar - part number SL-5.

130fe
06-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Wonder how this would work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tremec-T56-Reverse-Lockout-Solenoid-Control-Module-/110544152363?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19bcf1e72b

woody80z28
07-01-2010, 06:32 AM
I have mine hooked up to the brake also, and have downshifted from sixth to reverse (was looking for fifth while on the brakes) about twice. It won't engage fully but will grind real bad. after two times you become very conscience of what you are doing when you downshift. now it's either down shift from sixth to fifth with no brake, if braking is necesary only downshift to fourth or below.
Have you had any issues with the solenoid cycling so many times? I believe the factory setup only energized the solenoid under 5mph, so it was not on/off on/off on/off nearly as much as it would be hooked up to the brake.

That ebay link looks like a good solution, but I wouldn't want to spend $100 on it.

PhillipM
07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
I used an exhaust 2.5" u bend cut to make a very small hump in the side of the tunnel. Worked perfectly.