PDA

View Full Version : Important factors in choosing rear suspension components?

68nogoat
12-02-2010, 08:21 AM
I have read all the threads in trying to come up with the best set-up for my rear suspension, but I am coming up a bit short. I am currently building a 1968 Pontiac LeMans chassis. This is not a track car, but I do want to go fast, and turn well. I am willing to spend the money for noticeable improvement, but I am not one of these guys who needs the best everything.

The four set-ups I am currently considering are:
1. Spohn Del-Sphere from SC&C, $423 for upper and lower, all spherical bushings, no braces.
2. Hotchkis Adj. Rear Package, $872 for upper, lower and braces, "Swivel Max" (?) bushing on the upper.
3. BMR Fab, $677 for upper, lower and braces, spherical bushing upper, and one end of lower.
4. DSE, $960 for upper, lower and braces, "Swivel Link" busings claimed to be fully articulating and quieter than spherical

I know you don't want to use Poly on the uppers, because of binding. Are sphericals important on the lower control arms, or is Poly okay there? Do the sphericals need to be on both ends? Are trailing arm braces important/advisable?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know what is really important to focus on. Thanks for any help or experience anyone can provide. Its appreciated. Please let me know if more information is needed.

I am very open to suggestions on other set-ups not listed above.

Jeff70
12-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I would say for a street drivin car, none of the above.

I would replace all the bushings with quality rubber box the lowers and adjustable uppers. Spend the money in the front with a quality box and geometry correcting items in the front. I think for a street driven only car you can waste to much money on overkill.

ProdigyCustoms
12-03-2010, 04:14 AM
I would also take a hard look at Speedtech Coil Over conversion kit.

68nogoat
12-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I would say for a street drivin car, none of the above.

I would replace all the bushings with quality rubber box the lowers and adjustable uppers. Spend the money in the front with a quality box and geometry correcting items in the front. I think for a street driven only car you can waste to much money on overkill.

I hear you Jeff. I have basically decided to go ahead and spend a lot of the money I have for this project on the ATS AFX spindles for the front. I figure its the best possible solution, and it will allow me to get GM Stock C6 brakes for much cheaper than the aftermarket stuff that I could put on the stock style spindles. Plus its the best platform for future upgrades later.

I have some budget to blow on the rear, but like you said, I am not trying to impress anyone, so overkill is unnecessary. I just wanna go fast! DO you prefer any adjustable uppers over the others? I already have a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs that I got on the cheap, so I dont want to go coil-over right now.

69cutlassrkt
12-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Brian you should look at umi performance control arms. They are the same as spohn only cheaper. Also I think you should get an adjustable rear sway bar like the hellwig one.

edit: nevermind they look to be the same price as spohn's del spere control arms.

CHILI442
12-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Avoid any rear suspension arms that have the QA1 Spherical rod-end. They wear out in about a year and then start to 'pop' when you take off. I had UMI arms on my car for two years. I replaced the rod-ends once. I took them off and sold them and put on a set of Currie-Tracs.

69cutlassrkt
12-11-2010, 11:24 PM
thanks, good to know. Thats what I have umi's lowers with rod ends. I also think they they make a high pitch squeak noise when I turn, I only notice it in a parking garage.

bret
12-12-2010, 07:38 AM
We have recently converted our rear Chevelle upper arms to a kevlar lined spherical articulating rod end. I've had these rod ends in our 66 Chevelle for over a year with MUCH beating on it and they are still nice and quiet.

Check out this page:
http://www.ridetech.com/store/musclecar/?subcats=Y&features_hash=V202

Scroll down to find individual components.

Keith
12-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Check out the Global West stuff as well.