PDA

View Full Version : ATI Procharger on LT1 in 1st gen camaro question

69Myway
08-29-2004, 01:30 PM
I am suddenly concerned. I notched my frame to fit the 95 (ish) LT1 in my 69 Camaro with the stock 95 acc. brackets.

My plan is to get a Pro-charger and simply install it as if it was all going in a 95 F body then do some mods to the plumbing for the air and intercooler tubes.

However, I am now not sure the unit will fit and clear the frame.

Anybody else out there do this?

I guess my only other option would be to run the Vette brackets, but I HATE putting the a/c compressor up high on the driver side.

JL8Jeff
08-29-2004, 05:47 PM
I thought about putting a supercharger on my LT1 in my 68. But most of the kits mount the superchargers mount too low and look like they would be in the way of the A-arm. It looks like the Corvette or Impala setups mount the supercharger higher which might fit, but those kits are twice the price of the Camaro kits.

69Myway
08-30-2004, 01:06 AM
I thought about putting a supercharger on my LT1 in my 68. But most of the kits mount the superchargers mount too low and look like they would be in the way of the A-arm. It looks like the Corvette or Impala setups mount the supercharger higher which might fit, but those kits are twice the price of the Camaro kits.
I am thinking you might be right.

I am going to get with ATI today and get some measurements to play with.

JL8Jeff
08-30-2004, 06:15 AM
I would definitely prefer the ATI P1SC setup on my car if the supercharger was mounted high enough to clear the crossmember and A-arms.

blown69nova
08-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Hello KLR-SHRK, I did a setup from a tuned port car in my 69 Nova and got real lucky! Don't expect too much help as far as measurements and such from ATI, they don't seem too interested in that kind of thing. I ended up buying the main bracket first to see if it would fit, $300 sounded better than $3,000 for a whole kit. I also figured that with a complete kit for another appl. I would be throwing away parts! The intercooler for a late model may not come close either. Just some things to think about. By the way, I'm not saying ATI's products are bad-there not, just that there not very helpful with custom stuff.

awr68
08-30-2004, 10:03 PM
You guys need to talk to Jody, here's his private msg. http://66.70.234.198/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=96

And his web site for pics. http://www.camcojb.com/

69Myway
08-31-2004, 01:10 AM
Hello KLR-SHRK, I did a setup from a tuned port car in my 69 Nova and got real lucky! Don't expect too much help as far as measurements and such from ATI, they don't seem too interested in that kind of thing. I ended up buying the main bracket first to see if it would fit, $300 sounded better than $3,000 for a whole kit. I also figured that with a complete kit for another appl. I would be throwing away parts! The intercooler for a late model may not come close either. Just some things to think about. By the way, I'm not saying ATI's products are bad-there not, just that there not very helpful with custom stuff.
Good idea.

I talked to them yesterday. The tech guy did not have any diagrams, pictures, or measurents to share with me. He suggested I go to a Z28 message board and post some questions. There has to be somebody out there running on of these on a 4th gen camaro that took plenty of pics of the set up.

69Myway
08-31-2004, 01:12 AM
You guys need to talk to Jody, here's his private msg. http://66.70.234.198/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=96

And his web site for pics. http://www.camcojb.com/
I have been looking at his site for a while. The charger on the bb car is way up high like an a/c compressor. It is a bit of a different set up than what the LT1 will do to me.

camcojb
08-31-2004, 06:51 AM
I didn't jump in here because I don't have any specific LT1 info. I do know on the Vette kit they mounted the blower backwards and low, actually has a reverse flow housing to work. Not sure if that will clear the radiator on your car.

Where do they put the blower on the F body kit? I'm thinking it is very low and may be an issue. I'd post for some pics on this board:

Camaro Z28 forced induction section (http://web.camaross.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)

I'm doing a twin turbo LT1 in my 69 but I can put the turbos all over the place.

Jody

69Myway
08-31-2004, 12:17 PM
Here is the scoop!

Just found out that the Impala SS has the same brackets as the F body. There is an outfit doing ATI units for the Impala.

I called them today.

It puts the unit high on the driver side.

This should be the stuff!

JL8Jeff
08-31-2004, 07:11 PM
Very pricy for the Impala setup from what I've seen. I thought about the TPI setup as well.

69Myway
09-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Very pricy for the Impala setup from what I've seen. I thought about the TPI setup as well.
It is more than the standard F body system. The Powerdyne is super expensive and does not come with a intercooler. The ATI modified for the Impala is a complete kit for $5K including a fuel pump, injectors, intercooler, etc.

The plumbing for the Impala obviously won't fit the 69, so they would credit that cost off the kit.

CoryM
09-01-2004, 01:41 PM
If you need to find brackets for the other accesories check out
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/

They are pretty nice stuff, well engineered and CHEAP! I have bought several brackets from them now and other than one slight confusion (the P/S pump needed to be a pre-77 camaro and they said it would work to 1981) I have had no problems.

69Myway
09-01-2004, 05:09 PM
If you need to find brackets for the other accesories check out
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/

They are pretty nice stuff, well engineered and CHEAP! I have bought several brackets from them now and other than one slight confusion (the P/S pump needed to be a pre-77 camaro and they said it would work to 1981) I have had no problems.
Cool!

69Myway
09-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Here is what I am going to do. I am buying a 1995 ex-police car this week. It is complete less some nasty right front damage. It has the 5.7 iron head LT1. This will give me everything from the fuel tank to the front bumper to pick and play with for the Camaro. This will obviously give me the correct accesory brackets to be able to run the modified ATI system as well. I am getting the car for $700. I figure it will pay for itself as right now I need:

-a starter
-fuel system
-computer
-harness
-reseviors
-alternator
-a/c compressor
-flywheel
-MAF
-misc, sensors
-brackets
-rad hose routing info
-etc. etc. etc

Those items alone add up to more than $700. Plus I will have a spare engine and trans with posi unit rear disc brake axle for sale/swap.

As usual, I don't have the budget for this, but between the 81 Vette I am parting out on ebay and what will be left over from the cop car, I should at least break even on some of my expenses, plus provide some great parts for other people's project cars.

So.....more to come.

Steve N 69 69 69
09-12-2004, 05:39 PM
I looked at getting a ATI charger for my car ( 69w/ 94LT1) and found lots of pics at z28.com (http://web.camaross.com/forums/) , but the more I read about it, it sounded like putting a Blower on a stock bottom end, especially a higher mileage block, was just asking for trouble. Most people said "put it on, and save up for the rebuild, which will be soon".
The power is great, and after I get bored with , or break the stock motor, I will probably build a stroker that can take the stress of a charger. but I learned from my buddy with a 500hp blown 5.0 ,thats in the shop every other week, that too much is sometimes TOO MUCH.

69Myway
09-13-2004, 12:58 AM
Steve,

Excellent point. I agree with you. This is why I am going to take a comprehensive look at this build. This will start by installing dished 8:1 compression forged pistons and go out from there. The lower compression will let me run more boost as desired with less immediate stress on the engine.

The intercooler will also help reduce the heat and extra wear.

The sick thing about it is I won't be competitive driving anyway. So, it should last a bit longer and beyond if I only drive the car 3 to 5,000 miles a year (or at least I hope!!!!!!!!).