PDA

View Full Version : best technique & materials to use for a custom S/C mount?

DartorDemon
11-24-2010, 12:06 AM
I saw a thread awhile back where someone with a duster picked up a powerdyne blower with the intent of fitting it to his duster.

Anyhow, i like the idea and the prospect of doing a big project like this, but i'm not sure what the best technique and metal i would need. I would imagine it'd be best to make a cardboard mount and copy that, but then how thick of a metal should i need to work with?

Bryce
11-24-2010, 07:33 AM
1/2 aluminum 6061T6

MonzaRacer
11-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Next best would be 3/16 t o1/4in steel. IF you have no way to weld aluminum but can do steel.

Kenova
11-24-2010, 06:36 PM
After you make a cardboard template, transfer it to 1/2" plywood to confirm the fit.
I used a similar method to fabricate an alternator mount and ended up making three or four plywood templates before I was happy with the fit.

Ken

Bigblue73
12-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Great idea Ken! I agree with the 1/2" plate aluminum. If you have access to a CAD program, you can really save money with waterjet cutting.

DeltaT
12-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Make sure you design in bracing and/or some sort of boxing/rib combination to give your entire bracket assembly rigidity in all directions. If you have to compromise, try not to do it in directions the blower will be pulled - downward and inward in most cases. And pay close attention to your pulley alignment. Use the crank pulley as your master, and consider figuring out how to attach a cheap laser pointer to the centerline of the crank pulley so you can see where to position the rest of the pullies. A poorly aligned or bracket that flexes too much will yield a $hitload of frustration and cost you belts and perhaps other costs.

Jim