PDA

View Full Version : Del-A-Lum Bushing Tightness

kencar62
11-20-2010, 12:30 PM
How tight should the upper control arm shaft be after installing Del-A-Lum bushings? Mine seems too tight. I can move the cross-shaft by putting a large screwdriver through a mounting hole, but it requires some effort. I'm wondering if I have the nuts too tight. I torqued to 15 ft-lbs per the instructions (10-15 ft-lbs).

I'm installing #1014 bushings with the #705 Offset Crossshaft.

Ken C.

CarlC
11-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Try backing off on the nuts. If the cross-shaft does not free up then there is another problem. If the cross-shaft frees then tighten the nuts just until the clearnace is removed.

MrQuick
11-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Is it mounted on the car? It might feel tight in hand but when you mount it to the car you get more leverage to rotate the shaft/articulate the arm. Also what are you using for lubrication? I had a similar problem with a customers car where moly was used.

remember you are rotating by hand and trying to compare it to the rotational force that is created by the weight of your car against 400#+ spring pressure.

kencar62
11-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Is it mounted on the car? It might feel tight in hand but when you mount it to the car you get more leverage to rotate the shaft/articulate the arm. Also what are you using for lubrication? I had a similar problem with a customers car where moly was used.

Lubed with Mobil 1 Synthetic. I backed off on the nuts and the cross-shaft moves more freely, but with a little drag. Parts aren't on the car yet...it's still at the body shop. Body Man wants the subframe so he can get it off the rotisserie.

Ken

rchaskin
11-22-2010, 06:35 AM
I have a brand new set of UCAs from DSE and I cannot turn the shaft by hand.
I put the cross shaft in a vise and with little effort from the end of the arm I can move it.

Maybe 20# of force at the end of the arm.

Hope this helps.

Randy

kryptik
12-19-2010, 10:04 PM
My Hotchkis arms, which came stock with Del-A-Lum bushings, were tight like you say. I called them to ask if this was normal...their response was that the bushings are a bit tight from the factory, and will loosen up upon breaking in.

MrQuick
12-19-2010, 10:09 PM
What is the best tightness for the Del-A-Lum Bushing? Is it too tight or not too tight? Help me please. Need the right tightness ASAP.

How tight should the upper control arm shaft be after installing Del-A-Lum bushings? Mine seems too tight. I can move the cross-shaft by putting a large screwdriver through a mounting hole, but it requires some effort. I'm wondering if I have the nuts too tight. I torqued to 15 ft-lbs per the instructions (10-15 ft-lbs).

I'm installing #1014 bushings with the #705 Offset Crossshaft.

Ken C.

there you go