PDA

View Full Version : New York/New Jersey, DE, MD , VA and area guys, step in here please!

Pages : 1 [2]

Vinz68
02-11-2011, 04:19 AM
hi vin, just wondering if you are still going to RTTS. i see you may have an entourage going. being from hicksville i would like to join your caravan, if you guys are driving. im signed up for the cruise and for sat event. let me know. john solidarity for the long island faction of pro touring.

Hey John, I think I'm leaving Thursday night (maybe Fridat am) I'll let you know. Welcome to site!!

LV42DAY
02-11-2011, 08:17 PM
i'm still trying to find out some information about the event, but at a minimum i will be attending even if its just to watch. i will be the guy wearing the bib so i dont get any drool on anyone's' cars.

here is some helpful weather information from the past:
NJ average weather for april
April hi-61.0° F low-40.0° F precip-3.45 in record hi-94.0° (04/27/1969) record low-12.0° F (04/01/1969)

gz06cam
02-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Friends, Here is some info we have for the event. Please contact Bill on the tire wear ratings. He has a standard. Convertibles can run on the track but must have a roll bar. Long pants, long sleeved shirts required. (hey it won't be that hot in April). A helmet is required on Lightning. If you have a full face helmet, bring it. The last meeting with the track people has a requirement for full face helmets. I will be contacting them about this as SCCA does not require a full face helmet is a closed car. I'll get it resolved. In any event, helmet must be 2005 rating or later. SCCA will be running the autocross. I will find out about a helmet requirement for the autocross. If you have an extra helmet bring it. We love to take other people for a ride. It usually leaves them grinning.

Hotels are best off Rte 55 (exit 32) on West Landis avenue. Wingate, Ramada and Hampton are all right there. We jump back on 55 south for exits 27, 26, or 24. All go to Millville and the track. Exit 24 is the way I usually go as it avoids the most local traffic and I am coming from the eastern side. We are the first event of the season so there should not be that much traffic. Google the track for directions from the center of Millville. Main street to Cedarville to race street (county 555). Signs are in town. DO NOT SPEED.

The event starts early 8:00. If you are late, you will miss registration. After all, we also want to participate and don't want to spend the morning chasing down entrants and trying to schedule you. We would also appreciate it if you can give Bill some idea of your experience level on an open track. We want to try to group people together so that there is a minimum of fender to fender running (we don't want anyone to damage their cars). This will make it a far more pleasant event for everyone. Remember, this is not about the fastest person. It is about enjoying yourself and getting to run your car to the best of your and the car's ability. We have the track til 5:30. It will be a full day as the group will be split between autocross and Lightning so hopefully we will all be occupied all day. There is a mandatory lunch break. Groups will then switch after lunch. Trailers are allowed in on Friday. There is a paddock area but it is not firmed up as of yet as the skid pad for the autocross has not been set up by SCCA. I am working on that with the SJ region people. Regardless, the area we will have a quite large so there should be no problem parking.

Spectators are welcomed and encouraged to attend. They will be required to pay a gate fee. I do not know what it is yet but will find out. I will also find out about parking for spectators.

Each car can have up to three people as a pit crew. YOU MUST REGISTER YOUR NAMES AND ADDRESSES WITH BILL. This is a requirement of the track and will make entry and track day registration much easier. If you procrastinate on this it will delay all of us and may disqualify you. Remember that we want the most track time as possible.

The Cumberland mall is at exit 27. There are restaurants there as well as restaurants close to the hotels. Bill and I are trying to set up a host hotel and gathering place. If you are all at Landis Ave hotels, it will be easy as they are so close to each other.

The track has a drivers club with a bar and restaurant. I will inquire but I believe it will be open by then as the track events are starting the following weekend.

A word about the track. It is a fast track with some challenging blind curves. There is plenty of run off should you happen to need it. (I usually find some place to mow down some grass when I get stupid.) Safety first. Drive to your ability. I know there are better drivers than me and faster cars than mine. I will have fun at my own pace.

Bill and I are also trying to set up a cruise. Still in planning stages. Any requests are welcomed. American Autowire is planning some sort of open house but I need to talk to my people as to the details. It is hard as many of you will be coming in late friday night. So maybe Saturday after track day will be the time.

Now the fun continues on Sunday with the Kart enduro race. Please step up and register with Bill. We need a minimum number of participants to set up a really great event. The way it is set up now is that there will be a 3 person team per kart. There will be mandatory pit stops, driver changes, 50 yard sprints, hand stands, sit ups, etc. Full face helmet required. Helmets and suits are available at the kart track. Karts are 6.5 HP. They can get to 85 on the kart track straights so you will have plenty of chances to scare the crap out of yourself. As for me, I like metal around me but WTF.

Thanks for reading. Lets have a great event. I will post more as soon as I get it. Michael

gz06cam
02-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Don't know if anyone answered you, but no noise limit at NJMP. The only thing you are waking up is the endangered snake population.

gtncpa
02-13-2011, 11:15 AM
I have done some NASA/PDA events with an open face mask. When I was buying the mask one of the guys from NASA told me if the car has airbags I should get an open helmet. If the car does not have airbags I could use either. (closed would be preferred) I have a vert. I have been on Thunderbolt with it and wore my open face helmet with out issue.

Best regards,

Greg

singer69
02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Friends, Here is some info we have for the event. Please contact Bill on the tire wear ratings. He has a standard. Convertibles can run on the track but must have a roll bar.l

Ok just saw this and I am out :( I'm working on suspension now and no way will I have a roll bar in my convertible by then. Please let me know what I can do to sell my spot or refund for friday night and saturday. Damn I was really looking forward to this. I'm gonna cancel my hotel now. I still may drive down on saturday to be a spectator and hopefully try another time :( good luck to all that will be going. Enjoy

LV42DAY
02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Ok just saw this and I am out :( I'm working on suspension now and no way will I have a roll bar in my convertible by then. Please let me know what I can do to sell my spot or refund for friday night and saturday. Damn I was really looking forward to this. I'm gonna cancel my hotel now. I still may drive down on saturday to be a spectator and hopefully try another time :( good luck to all that will be going. Enjoy

that makes 2 of us. i have no intention of putting a roll bar in my car so im also out for the track day. BUT i probably show up for cruise night maybe even watch on track day if the the track fee isn't to bad. who knows maybe i will use my mustang or something. disappointed about that damn roll bar...

sr73bu
02-13-2011, 05:50 PM

that makes 2 of us. i have no intention of putting a roll bar in my car so im also out for the track day. BUT i probably show up for cruise night maybe even watch on track day if the the track fee isn't to bad. who knows maybe i will use my mustang or something. disappointed about that damn roll bar...

Sorry to hear about this for the convertible guys...
Hope you guys still make it down.... If you can't get a refund, come down for the cruise and get your
money's worth on the autocross if you can! Still should be an awesome time...

-Sean

SicMonte
02-13-2011, 09:18 PM
I really don't want to buy a new helmet just for this event. My Bell M2 helmet is SA2000 and is good enough...but I guess it isnt according to this track. I wore that helmet last year while I drove a damned NASCAR 14 laps on DOVER RACEWAY...but its not good enough for this track.....ummmmm.

Another thing...I hope he is kidding about the 50 yard dash and sit ups in the kart event.

Maybe I should just stick to doing "Fridays at the Track" at Summit Point Raceway to get some track time. It's cheaper.

gtncpa
02-14-2011, 05:47 AM
I agree with you SicMonte. I do a few F.A.T.T.'s a year at Summit Point. I use my own helmet. Their loaner helmets are open faced. :confused: I did the NASCAR experience at POCONO with my helmet. I get it inspected every year and I have not found a track that gives me trouble with it. For example:

NJMP - Thunderbolt ... maybe Lighting is different? :here!:
Monticello Motor Club
Summit Point
Pocono

I am not going to buy a new helmet for this.

Best regards,

Greg

Yelcamino
02-14-2011, 06:25 AM
I really don't want to buy a new helmet just for this event. My Bell M2 helmet is SA2000 and is good enough...but I guess it isnt according to this track. I wore that helmet last year while I drove a damned NASCAR 14 laps on DOVER RACEWAY...but its not good enough for this track.....ummmmm.

Another thing...I hope he is kidding about the 50 yard dash and sit ups in the kart event.

Maybe I should just stick to doing "Fridays at the Track" at Summit Point Raceway to get some track time. It's cheaper.

Next time you sign up for FATT, let me know, I really want to do this!

sr73bu
02-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Friends, Here is some info we have for the event. Please contact Bill on the tire wear ratings. He has a standard. Convertibles can run on the track but must have a roll bar. Long pants, long sleeved shirts required. (hey it won't be that hot in April). A helmet is required on Lightning. If you have a full face helmet, bring it. The last meeting with the track people has a requirement for full face helmets. I will be contacting them about this as SCCA does not require a full face helmet is a closed car. I'll get it resolved. In any event, helmet must be 2005 rating or later. SCCA will be running the autocross. I will find out about a helmet requirement for the autocross. If you have an extra helmet bring it. We love to take other people for a ride. It usually leaves them grinning.

Hotels are best off Rte 55 (exit 32) on West Landis avenue. Wingate, Ramada and Hampton are all right there. We jump back on 55 south for exits 27, 26, or 24. All go to Millville and the track. Exit 24 is the way I usually go as it avoids the most local traffic and I am coming from the eastern side. We are the first event of the season so there should not be that much traffic. Google the track for directions from the center of Millville. Main street to Cedarville to race street (county 555). Signs are in town. DO NOT SPEED.

The event starts early 8:00. If you are late, you will miss registration. After all, we also want to participate and don't want to spend the morning chasing down entrants and trying to schedule you. We would also appreciate it if you can give Bill some idea of your experience level on an open track. We want to try to group people together so that there is a minimum of fender to fender running (we don't want anyone to damage their cars). This will make it a far more pleasant event for everyone. Remember, this is not about the fastest person. It is about enjoying yourself and getting to run your car to the best of your and the car's ability. We have the track til 5:30. It will be a full day as the group will be split between autocross and Lightning so hopefully we will all be occupied all day. There is a mandatory lunch break. Groups will then switch after lunch. Trailers are allowed in on Friday. There is a paddock area but it is not firmed up as of yet as the skid pad for the autocross has not been set up by SCCA. I am working on that with the SJ region people. Regardless, the area we will have a quite large so there should be no problem parking.

Spectators are welcomed and encouraged to attend. They will be required to pay a gate fee. I do not know what it is yet but will find out. I will also find out about parking for spectators.

Each car can have up to three people as a pit crew. YOU MUST REGISTER YOUR NAMES AND ADDRESSES WITH BILL. This is a requirement of the track and will make entry and track day registration much easier. If you procrastinate on this it will delay all of us and may disqualify you. Remember that we want the most track time as possible.

The Cumberland mall is at exit 27. There are restaurants there as well as restaurants close to the hotels. Bill and I are trying to set up a host hotel and gathering place. If you are all at Landis Ave hotels, it will be easy as they are so close to each other.

The track has a drivers club with a bar and restaurant. I will inquire but I believe it will be open by then as the track events are starting the following weekend.

A word about the track. It is a fast track with some challenging blind curves. There is plenty of run off should you happen to need it. (I usually find some place to mow down some grass when I get stupid.) Safety first. Drive to your ability. I know there are better drivers than me and faster cars than mine. I will have fun at my own pace.

Bill and I are also trying to set up a cruise. Still in planning stages. Any requests are welcomed. American Autowire is planning some sort of open house but I need to talk to my people as to the details. It is hard as many of you will be coming in late friday night. So maybe Saturday after track day will be the time.

Now the fun continues on Sunday with the Kart enduro race. Please step up and register with Bill. We need a minimum number of participants to set up a really great event. The way it is set up now is that there will be a 3 person team per kart. There will be mandatory pit stops, driver changes, 50 yard sprints, hand stands, sit ups, etc. Full face helmet required. Helmets and suits are available at the kart track. Karts are 6.5 HP. They can get to 85 on the kart track straights so you will have plenty of chances to scare the crap out of yourself. As for me, I like metal around me but WTF.

Thanks for reading. Lets have a great event. I will post more as soon as I get it. Michael

SO... what organization is running the Lightening portion???? NASA or SCCA or ?(I was under the impression this was privately run by the sponsors)... I'm trying to get a defined answer here on rules/tech info... about helmets/seatbelts/etc... just dont want to show up and not be able to run... for example...Should I be reffering to the NASA tech pdf?

Also.. I know lots of guys have Hareness bars for their 4pt or 5pt belts... are these ok? People are going to flip out if removable shoulder bars aren't allowed, I think a few registered cars have them...

Not trying to be a pain, I think these kind of things need to be cleared up... I know other events in other areas of the country aren't as strict....

-Sean

gtncpa
02-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Here is the inspection sheet from NASA / PDA

http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/downloads/PDA-NASA_TECH_SHEET.pdf

From what I can see is NJMP is imposing rules that go above and beyond NASA's rules.

I think we should all step back and let Bill and the rest of the individuals that are running this event get the facts. This could be a great event and the first of many. If we keep speculating ... well ... it will not do any thing but cause more confusion.

I am friends wit the gentleman that runs PDA. If any one wants me to reach out to him for some information, please let me know. He is also the same guy that installed my roll bar in my vert.

Best regards,

Greg

sr73bu
02-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Here is the inspection sheet from NASA / PDA

From what I can see is NJMP is imposing rules that go above and beyond NASA's rules.

I think we should all step back and let Bill and the rest of the individuals that are running this event get the facts. This could be a great event and the first of many. If we keep speculating ... well ... it will not do any thing but cause more confusion.

I am friends wit the gentleman that runs PDA. If any one wants me to reach out to him for some information, please let me know. He is also the same guy that installed my roll bar in my vert.

Best regards,

Greg

I agree completely Greg... hopefully we get feedback from the proper people ASAP... Something in writing, set-in-stone.

I'm already stressed about getting my car together in time... Just don't want to find out I need another major expense before the event... I'm really excited about this and hope Its fun for everyone... I'll be on hold until then.

-Sean

gtncpa
02-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi Sean-

Its the most fun you can have with your pants on! A well run event is critical. I ran in an event up at Monticello. It was the Exotic Car club running it. Mostly high end Euro cars and a Mustang (me lol). One word .. disaster! Other than a few accidents on track .. it was chaos. From registration to ... well every thing. Way to much attitude and egos. As a good instructor will tell you .. "Check your ego at the door and have fun and learn to drive your car on track in a controlled environment"

On another note Sean, I am trying to get my buddy to join this site as well as come wiht us. He has a 73 Chevelle and a Cutlas. The Cutlas is set up to road race, but up until this point he has been to scared to bring it on track. I think this event would be perfect for him!

-Greg

gz06cam
02-14-2011, 10:58 AM
I have done some NASA/PDA events with an open face mask. When I was buying the mask one of the guys from NASA told me if the car has airbags I should get an open helmet. If the car does not have airbags I could use either. (closed would be preferred) I have a vert. I have been on Thunderbolt with it and wore my open face helmet with out issue.

Best regards,

Greg

The SCCA guys also agree with you concerning the helmet when the car has airbags. This is why the statement I got makes no sense. I am meeting with the track people today and will get clarification.

gz06cam
02-14-2011, 11:06 AM
SO... what organization is running the Lightening portion???? NASA or SCCA or ?(I was under the impression this was privately run by the sponsors)... I'm trying to get a defined answer here on rules/tech info... about helmets/seatbelts/etc... just dont want to show up and not be able to run... for example...Should I be reffering to the NASA tech pdf?

Also.. I know lots of guys have Hareness bars for their 4pt or 5pt belts... are these ok? People are going to flip out if removable shoulder
bars aren't allowed, I think a few registered cars have them...

Not trying to be a pain, I think these kind of things need to be cleared up... I know other events in other areas of the country aren't as strict....

-Sean

Bill is running the event. It is private. However, the track still has certain requirements. SCCA is going to set up a great autocross. They did it at Gingerman last year and it was great. As far as I know, we all have no problem with their safety requirements. If we did, we could set it up on our own. However, they are better at it and into the sport aspect. I will check on all your other concerns and post.

gz06cam
02-14-2011, 11:13 AM
By the way. The south jersey region of SCCA is doing a PDX event at the track on March 5. If you are close it would be a chance to get on the track with an instructor. If you need info, I will get contact info

gz06cam
02-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Friends,
1. Helmets are required for running on lightning and running the autocross.
2. Helmets must be 2000 or later rated. This is the last year for a 2000 rated helmet.

SicMonte
02-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Friends,
1. Helmets are required for running on lightning and running the autocross.
2. Helmets must be 2000 or later rated. This is the last year for a 2000 rated helmet.

Thank God that my helmet is allowed. Have you heard any info on the harness bar being removable? I have 8 point roll bar/cage in my car but the horizontal harness bar is removable to allow access to the back seat. Just wanted to be sure...

gtncpa
02-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Thank God that my helmet is allowed. Have you heard any info on the harness bar being removable? I have 8 point roll bar/cage in my car but the horizontal harness bar is removable to allow access to the back seat. Just wanted to be sure...

I have a four point with the lower horizontal bar removal. I hope that is not a problem. It is the Autopower bar.

gz06cam
02-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Friends,
1. Helmets are required for running on Lightning and running the autocross.
3. Full face helmets are required. This is a new requirement this year. Not NJMP. It is a state requirement imposed by the state police. You can bring your open faced helmet and probably won't be a problem. However, this is what we were told.
4. Seat belts are required. As this is a considered a time trial, only lap belts are required. Therefore, removable shoulder bars and belts, 4 and 5 point belts are ok. Aftermarket seat belts must be certified. 2 year old for SFI. 5 year old for FIA. Again check the labels.
5. Roll bars are required on convertibles.
6.the tech inspection sheet for the Sports Car Driving Association (link put up in prior posts) is perfect. It is a basic check that there are no leaks, bolted down battery, no loose items in car, lug nuts tightened to torque, tire pressure set adequately, fluid level checks, seat belts, etc.
7. Each car can have a driver and a 3 person pit crew. Please register those people with Bill so that we can set up registration and make your entry fast and easy.
8. Spectators are welcomed. There will be a parking area adjacent to the track. A $10.00 spectator fee per person will be charged for the event. Choose your pit crew members wisely.
9. Track needs registration names only. Addresses are not required by the track. Bill may be the only one who needs this as he may want to contact you at some later date.

Hope this clears up some questions. Don't shoot the messenger. This is as of today's meeting with NJMP.

tommycomfort
02-14-2011, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=gz06cam;Hope this clears up some questions. Don't shoot the messenger. This is as of today's meeting with NJMP.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, these guys rarely shoot anybody to include the messenger!

sr73bu
02-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi Sean-

Its the most fun you can have with your pants on! A well run event is critical. I ran in an event up at Monticello. It was the Exotic Car club running it. Mostly high end Euro cars and a Mustang (me lol). One word .. disaster! Other than a few accidents on track .. it was chaos. From registration to ... well every thing. Way to much attitude and egos. As a good instructor will tell you .. "Check your ego at the door and have fun and learn to drive your car on track in a controlled environment"

On another note Sean, I am trying to get my buddy to join this site as well as come wiht us. He has a 73 Chevelle and a Cutlas. The Cutlas is set up to road race, but up until this point he has been to scared to bring it on track. I think this event would be perfect for him!

-Greg

Greg,

Who says i'll being wearing any pants??? LOL...J/K....

Tell your friend to come down and race!!! I'd love to see another 73-77 A body out there! Have him checkout my car... maybe it will inspire him to bring it! Thanks again for posting the info too!

Michael,

Thanks for clearing things up! and Thanks again to You and Bill for getting this event together! Last question (promise i'll leave you alone after this).... Is a M2000 Full Face Bell Helmet OK... or is SA2000 the minimum?

-Sean

PS: You have an awesome tech staff at American Autowire, they have been a huge help getting the wiring situated on my Chevelle.

BonzoHansen
02-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Mike, in regards to Friday cruise & food, I plan on hitting the AC car show this Saturday with a friend who goes to cape may often, so i'll pick his brain. And I hope to find another buddy there who knows the area very well. I'll see what he has to say.

gtncpa
02-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Ugh! My helmet is two years old ... and now I think I have to buy a full face helmet or risk watching.

gz06cam
02-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Next time you sign up for FATT, let me know, I really want to do this!

Of course I was kidding about the kart event. By the way, your helmet will be good.

gz06cam
02-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Greg,

Who says i'll being wearing any pants??? LOL...J/K....

Tell your friend to come down and race!!! I'd love to see another 73-77 A body out there! Have him checkout my car... maybe it will inspire him to bring it! Thanks again for posting the info too!

Michael,

Thanks for clearing things up! and Thanks again to You and Bill for getting this event together! Last question (promise i'll leave you alone after this).... Is a M2000 Full Face Bell Helmet OK... or is SA2000 the minimum?

-Sean

PS: You have an awesome tech staff at American Autowire, they have been a huge help getting the wiring situated on my Chevelle.

Sean,

It is my understanding that you will be ok on the helmet for this year. If not we will find one to lend to you.

gz06cam
02-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Mike, in regards to Friday cruise & food, I plan on hitting the AC car show this Saturday with a friend who goes to cape may often, so i'll pick his brain. And I hope to find another buddy there who knows the area very well. I'll see what he has to say.

Another member mentioned Buddy Guy concert. It starts at 8:00. Might be tough to get there in time. However, I saw him open up for Tom Petty last summer in Philadelphia. He was awesome.

The track has two clubs that we can schedule for a dinner. We are investigating that. A cruise to the Shore (Cape May, etc.) would be cool. Have a friend who owns a restaurant in Northfield(by Summers Point). That may be an option. I am open to suggestions.

gz06cam
02-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Sean,

It is my understanding that you will be ok on the helmet for this year. If not we will find one to lend to you.

Thanks for the mention of my technical staff. We try to keep it top shelf for all our products.

gz06cam
02-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Scott,
I may be going to the AC show on Sat also. Call me at American Autowire tomorrow afternoon or Wed. 800-482-9473 ext 211. Maybe we can meet up.

LV42DAY
02-14-2011, 08:50 PM
whats this about a car show in AC? you guys have any info on it?

gtncpa
02-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Greg,

Who says i'll being wearing any pants??? LOL...J/K.....

Yikes!!!! LOL

gtncpa
02-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Two last questions:
1) Did you think my Snell 2005 open face helmet that is already been inspected by NASA PDA for 2011 (has an inspection sticker on it) will be ok. I would hate like hell to drive home dejected. Can I get a official ruling on it?
2) I have an AutoPower 4 point bar on my vert. Can I get a official ruling on it?

I am really excited to do this event. I just want to put these two things behind me.

Last time I was at NJMP I was on the Thunderbolt track. There was a 66 Mustang that was tearing up the track. I love to see that again!

Autopower roll bars and cages meet or exceed the safety requirements for most competition sanctioning organizations. Their bars and cages have been designed to easily install and provide maximum protection. The fit in your vehicle allows quick and easy entry and most importantly, quick exiting, while conforming closely to your interior for a clean, unobtrusive look and feel. All of Autopowers bars and cages are certified MIG welded and precision jig notched, providing you with the maximum strength and best fit available. Every roll bar or cage has been designed to fit *specific car models so only minor *modifications are necessary for the installation. Most applications are a true bolt-in and require NO WELDING.

The Street-Sport bar is just what you need for your high performance street car.

* Designed for high performance street use.
* Bolt-in harness mount tube for easy installation of safety harnesses.
* Bolt-In Removable horizontal harness.
* 4 point roll bar is made of 1.750 x .120 DOM mild steel tube.
* All necessary installation and mounting hardware with back-up plates is included.

The Street-Sport Roll Bar has a bolt in harness mount tube for easy installation of harnesses and access to the back seat for street use

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/autopower_4pt-1.jpg

BonzoHansen
02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Scott,
I may be going to the AC show on Sat also. Call me at American Autowire tomorrow afternoon or Wed. 800-482-9473 ext 211. Maybe we can meet up.

Mike I'll try to find 5 minutes tomorrow to call you.

If you guys decide to head back towards the track for dinner (I gave Bill Texas Roadhouse info the other night) we could cruise to the beach, maybe stop over at the lighthouse area, then cruise back.

whats this about a car show in AC? you guys have any info on it?

AC Car Show: http://www.acclassiccars.com/

Takid455
02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Based on the listed requirements, a vehicle w/ non-altered OEM safety equipment is sufficient. I am debating whether to bring a 74 Trans Am or a 87 BMW. Other than minor engine and suspension work, they are stock otherwise. Is this an issue?

gtncpa
02-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Here is a great write up on how to get around Lighting:

Lightning Raceway at New Jersey Motorsports Park reminds me a little of a combination of Lime Rock and Mid Ohio. It is a short and fun 1.9 mile track like Lime Rock and Turn 1 even reminds me of Lime Rock’s famous uphill turn. It also has many blind turns similar to Mid Ohio, including Turn 6 which is blind turn going over a hill similar to Madness, except turning right instead of left. There is also a section of turns, Turn 2 to Turn 6, where if you mess up one, you basically have blown the whole section. Same thing can be said for Turns 7 to 11 at Mid Ohio.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/siteplan-1.png

Turn 1 is at the end of the main straight. On the track map it looks like a kink that could be taken with little or no brakes. In reality, when you are on the track it looks like it is almost a 90* uphill turn similar to the uphill at Lime Rock. While it is a deceivingly fast corner, you must do some heavy braking for it. Once off the brakes and turned in, get back on the gas early as you go up the hill. The key to this corner is to make sure you get close or even on the apex curbing and be looking at the track out curbing. Because the corner is blind, you must look at the white track out curbing as your cue to where the track goes. This will allow you to take it at speed and exit properly. Many people where staying inside or in the middle and not using the full track here. This cost them a ton of speed. Just as with the top of the uphill at Lime Rock, you must straighten the wheel a little bit as you crest the hill and the car gets a little light.

Turn 2 to Turn 5 are all linked and lead to the fast increasing radius sweeper that leads to the short straight near the bridge. If you mess up any of these turns it will cost you significant speed on that sweeper/straight. The key turn is the left hand T4. You must realize that Turns 2 and 3 set you up for Turn 4 and take them accordingly. Note: many people where having trouble with Turn 3 and there were many spins and off tracks here.

I just brush the brakes for T2 to get the car to turn in. You must early apex T2 and track all the way out to the edge of the track early. In the background there are several tall trees. Most of them are light in color, however there is a very dark one that stands out. Use this dark tree as your reference point for your track out point and aim for it. You should be making 1 continuous arc through Turns 2 and 3, almost like a double apex. You will probably need to brake for T3 and trail braking helps rotate the car here. You must late apex Turn 3 and hug the right hand side to set you up for the left hand Turn 4 which is the most important turn of this section. As you unwind the steering wheel after Turn 3, you should continue turning the wheel to the left for Turn 4. This should be one continuous smooth motion. You do not want to unwind the wheel, go straight for a little bit, then turn left. Again, the transition from 3 to 4 should be one continuous smooth motion. You do not need the brakes for turn 4; just modulate/feather the throttle to help rotate/position the car. As you make the left hander, you will see some white curbing on the far left side of the track at the start of Turn 5 (uphill right hander). As you track out to the right after turn 4, do not force the car back to the left hand side to set up for the right hand Turn 5. Instead gently aim for just in front of white curbing on the left side so that you will start to be turning right and your car will become parallel with the white curbing just as you pass it. You should brake a little early but lightly while turning right just a little. This will rotate the car towards the apex at the top of the hill. Feather/modulate the gas to settle the car after turn in and gently accelerate up the hill. Make sure you get in close to the white apex curbing at the top of the hill. The car will get light as you crest the hill. Going over this turn is like a right hand version of Madness at Mid Ohio. As you crest the hill and the car regains traction, feed the gas in and this will naturally push you out to white curbing on the left hand side which is the track out point. You can get some passing done here if you stay inside as the other person goes wide after cresting the hill. As you track out to the white curbing, continue on that arc making only small gentle corrections with the steering wheel. You are trying to make one continuous smooth turn through here. This will bring you back inside to the white curbing on the right side of the track. Continue to follow the right hand side of the track all the way to the braking point for the 90* left hand Turn 6.

Turn 6 actually has a lot more grip and can be taken a lot faster than it first looks. A lot of people where over slowing here. Take a classic line through here making sure you hit the apex and track out points (white curbing on right side of track). You want to gently unwind the wheel as you accelerate out of Turn 6 so that you are in the middle of the track as you crest the hill. Because the hill is blind, the tendency is to move to the far left since it is a left hand turn. Avoid this tendency and stay in the middle of the track as you crest the hill. This will set you up to be able to brake later going into the bowl/lightbulb turn.

There is a little more camber at the bottom of the bowl then at the top. This allows you to carry more speed if you are lower, but you can get a much better run out of the bowl if you are higher before you start to come down towards the apex. I still have not figured out the fastest way around it yet. I was braking as late as possible, carrying as much speed as possible and then stay about ¾ of the way up the bowl maintaining my speed before coming down. The beginning of the bowl seems to go uphill. About halfway around it starts to go downhill. As the track starts to go downhill, use this as your cue to start to get in towards the apex. As you start to come down towards the apex you should be feeding in the throttle and accelerating to get a good run out of the bowl. You should be close to full throttle exiting the bowl, modulating it to make sure you track out at the right point.

After you track out you want to slowly unwind the wheel so that you are in the middle of the track when you crest the top of small hill on the main straight. It looks like the track goes straight at the top of the hill, but it still continues to the right. This was causing many people to track out early, get to the top of the small hill, realize the track is still going right and have to yank the wheel to the right to stay on track. The correct line puts you in the middle of the track at the crest of that hill, and finish tracking out to the left significantly after the crest of the hill. By slowly unwinding the wheel after tracking out of the light bulb turn, you will make ONE continuous gentle arc all the way past the top of the hill on the main straight, and finally tracking out to the left side after the top of the hill.

The main straight leads back to Turn 1.

General notes:

Because there are so many blind turns on Lightning, start off slowing more for the turns than you think you should until you get to know your way around the track. Many people either took the turns too fast or got back on the gas too hard too soon and ran out of room really quick on track out. Fortunately, there is a lot of run off room in these places.
Also because there are so many increasing radius turns that lead to straights, “Slow In, Fast Out” really is the fastest way around the track anyways. If you keep this in mind, you should have no trouble learning the course and picking up speed as you get to know it.

The Stickman
02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanx for that it's a good read. I have been watching alot of the youtube vids too.

gz06cam
02-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Hey people,

We did the run last night down to the track area. Exit 32A off rte55 is Landis ave east. This is where Hampton, Ramada, and Wingate are. All together within walking distance. There is a Bennegins right there. You can crawl to any of the hotels. There is huge parking behind the hotels. Well lite and plenty of room for a trailer (if you stay at hotel). About a mile down the road is a Days Inn and an Econo Lodge.

The next exit south on 55 is exit 29. This is the Cumberland mall. Plenty of restaurants there. Look at it on Google maps. If you are driving a trailer to the track, you would probably drive down to exit 27, go south on rte 47 (Delsea drive or 2nd st) then turn right on Sharp go down to Rte 49 (Main st) and turn left, go to Cedar and then to Rte 555.

ProBell
02-16-2011, 03:27 PM
How was the snow in that neck of the woods? We finally got some warm weather in CT and got some snow to melt. Randy

sr73bu
02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
How was the snow in that neck of the woods? We finally got some warm weather in CT and got some snow to melt. Randy

Its been melting the past week or two... temps have been above freezing... looks like tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be around 60, so i'm sure most of it will melt... can't wait to see my grass again...lol

I'm about an hour North of the track.

-Sean

Vinz68
02-17-2011, 05:15 AM
Any spot's left? Got one more friend who wants to come

singer69
02-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Any spot's left? Got one more friend who wants to come

I will be selling my spot if needed for the friday night and saturday due to I won't have a roll bar in my convertible by then if your interested. Thanks

gz06cam
02-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Guys,

I made a mistake. The SCCA PDX event is March 26 and 27. I previously said it was March 5. The March 5 event is an autocross at NJMP. All are still welcomed.

gtncpa
02-17-2011, 02:02 PM
March 5th is a track day. It is $500 bucks but lots of track time

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=rb846jcab&v=001XqiOmN3J1DA3H2-vnzGcVqFiv_iRt245X7pOHtj8zVjv9DKbQYXVQcTfV89uD3Vdv RNmzOw-ka0DOZAIFbsuEuZIquR7NovbgBdlEFoHJsDtG3kOwWUMD92diK qR3V_fPR811TmBgSU2tS4bZqd-jQ%3D%3D

68sixspeed
02-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Just an FYI if anyone is interested, most auto insurance does not cover you while at a race track, I've used a couple different companies for track insurance. I emailed Steve at www.ontrackinsurance.com will cover the on track portion. Just figure I'd pass it along as what I'm doing, but I have no connection with this company. -Dan

gtncpa
02-19-2011, 11:07 AM
I have used OnTrack as well. You never know what could happen on track.

SicMonte
02-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Friends,
1. Helmets are required for running on Lightning and running the autocross.
3. Full face helmets are required. This is a new requirement this year. Not NJMP. It is a state requirement imposed by the state police. You can bring your open faced helmet and probably won't be a problem. However, this is what we were told.
4. Seat belts are required. As this is a considered a time trial, only lap belts are required. Therefore, removable shoulder bars and belts, 4 and 5 point belts are ok. Aftermarket seat belts must be certified. 2 year old for SFI. 5 year old for FIA. Again check the labels.
5. Roll bars are required on convertibles.
6.the tech inspection sheet for the Sports Car Driving Association (link put up in prior posts) is perfect. It is a basic check that there are no leaks, bolted down battery, no loose items in car, lug nuts tightened to torque, tire pressure set adequately, fluid level checks, seat belts, etc.
7. Each car can have a driver and a 3 person pit crew. Please register those people with Bill so that we can set up registration and make your entry fast and easy.
8. Spectators are welcomed. There will be a parking area adjacent to the track. A $10.00 spectator fee per person will be charged for the event. Choose your pit crew members wisely.
9. Track needs registration names only. Addresses are not required by the track. Bill may be the only one who needs this as he may want to contact you at some later date.

Hope this clears up some questions. Don't shoot the messenger. This is as of today's meeting with NJMP.

Just checked my belts and they are FIA approved and say not valid after 2011.....so I take that means they are ok for this year and I will need new ones next year?

gtncpa
02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
New helmet ordered! (*******s!) Oh well ...

gtncpa
03-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Here is a good deal on a helmet. They have one left at $219.00. It is an extra large.

http://www.stableenergies.com/Bell-Helmet-Sport-Series-Fiberglass/productinfo/SPORT-05/

Takid455
03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Can cars with dealer plates run as long as the car is safe?

Do bell helmets fit on the big or small side?

Bill Howell
03-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Dealer plates are fine.

singer69
03-08-2011, 07:16 AM
I still have a spot available for sale for friday night and saturday due to my convertible not having a roll bar which I did not know I needed when I signed up. I know there is no refund so I need to sell this spot and will even sell at a discount if necessary. So make me an offer Thanks and good luck to all.

Bill Howell
03-08-2011, 04:15 PM
2000 Helmets are ok for this year. Just got the word.

Anyone wanting to volunteer to help out, I need some for Saturday morning. Nothing big or long term, but I need help getting the cars teched, etc. Just post up here if you can help out.

kustom71
03-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Bill
I had already spoke with you about attending although my car will not even be close to done.
I do not know what it is you need help with but I wouldnt mind helping out.
Please let me know what it is you need I can be there early no problem>
Bob

SicMonte
03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I have some tech questions....who can help me out?

SicMonte
03-09-2011, 06:18 AM
I have some tech questions....who can help me out?

My main question revolves around this scenario.....

My front tires rub just enough to damage the them on normal suspension compression. I had to cut the rear of the inner fenders out so it would not rub anymore. The problem is that my battery is mounted to the passenger side inner fender. It is bolted to the side of the fender and to the bottom of the inner fender. The battery is very stable but I can see the tech people having an issue with the battery mount since the inner fender's strangth has been compromised. The battery is still in its stock location and has a very good hold down on it...but it is sitting on the front of the inner fender and the back half of that peice is gone. Any ideas on this?

I do plan on moving the battery to the rear but I just don't have the money or the time now.

GT Coop
03-13-2011, 02:48 PM
I won't be able to make the 4/2 track/autocross, anyone want to buy my spot? I did not sign up for Sunday Kart racing. Email me [email protected]. Thanks. Dan

lvrpool32
03-14-2011, 10:39 AM

Anyone wanting to volunteer to help out, I need some for Saturday morning. Nothing big or long term, but I need help getting the cars teched, etc. Just post up here if you can help out.

Bill, myself and one of my group will be able to help with tech.

Nick

SicMonte
03-15-2011, 10:00 AM
so the event is quickly approaching. I took off Friday to cruise on up there from Maryland. Who in the south wants to meet up and hit the road??

Jasons72
03-15-2011, 12:45 PM
You going over the Delaware Memorial Bridge?

vette427-sbc
03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I dont think I missed it, but did someone post the official tech requirements? Or are we just basing it off of this one that was posted earlier:

Also, anyone taking the Garden State parkway down on Saturday? Ill be leaving from exit 109 at around 5:30am.

The Stickman
03-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I will be coming down friday early and down the Pa Turnpike/476 to 95S to the Commadore Barry Bridge and down that way.

Takid455
03-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Anyone have an extra helmet L or XL? I know I should just suck it up and buy one.

The Stickman
03-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Anyone have an extra helmet L or XL? I know I should just suck it up and buy one.

I just bought one myself. A decent RCI with dark shield cost me like $180.

Jasons72
03-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Just bought a SA 2010 helmet...spent way too much but i'm determined to get a matching white suit at some point and pull of The Stig look lol.

The Stickman
03-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Here is my new SA 2005 helmet. I love the look, kinda matches the car.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/100_8195-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/100_8197-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/100_8198-1.jpg

SicMonte
03-16-2011, 12:15 PM
You going over the Delaware Memorial Bridge?

Yes sir I am....

I plan on hitting 95 north around the DC area...then going over the bridge...the following the GPS lol.

Jasons72
03-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Let me know what time you plan on being in DE, i could always meet you at the newark rest stop on 95, just before 273

GNon18s
03-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Are we at some point getting confirmation that we paid and have a spot reserved? I sent money for the dinner/saturday track time but havent really got any confirmation everything went through Ok. I dont want to find out friday April 1 there is a problem. Thanks.

GT Coop
03-17-2011, 08:39 AM
I won't be able to make the 4/2 track/autocross, anyone want to buy my spot? I did not sign up for Sunday Kart racing. Email me [email protected]. Thanks. Dan

The Stickman
03-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Two weeks people, Two weeks.

gtncpa
03-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Its like the feeling you get after Thanksgiving as you are waiting for Christmas!

The Stickman
03-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Its like the feeling you get after Thanksgiving as you are waiting for Christmas!

Pretty much. And hoping you were good enough to get what you want, says one of the guys with their car still in pieces.

68sixspeed
03-17-2011, 05:48 PM
two weeks, thanks... should have it on the ground and running this weekend- I got the brakes done and bled today and the new heater core in. Time to chase an oil leak and then put the interior back in it... fun!

gtncpa
03-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Pretty much. And hoping you were good enough to get what you want, says one of the guys with their car still in pieces.

Got my fingers crossed for you sir!

ZuperZport
03-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Wrenches are being twisted as we speak.

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=04&day=02&year=2011&hour=07&min=00&sec=00&p0=179

The Stickman
03-17-2011, 05:51 PM
I am getting there. Need to fix a brake line that cripped putting the new braided hoses on. Still need to do a bunch of stuff though. Still having fun doing it though so it's more than cool.

The Stickman
03-17-2011, 05:53 PM

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=04&day=02&year=2011&hour=07&min=00&sec=00&p0=179

I have a bit less than that as I am leaving sometime Friday morning. Want to get down there early get my room and relax before dinner and cruise.

sr73bu
03-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Damn Counter!

I've got to pull my trans (AGAIN!) and possibly replace the clutch (slipping)!!! plus my son has an ear infection!!!! (no sleep)

...Looks like i'll be breaking in my car on the trip down to the track...come hell or high water i WILL be making an ass of myself on that roadcourse!

-Sean

SicMonte
03-18-2011, 10:55 AM
any info on the event yet...dinner and cruise etc????

gtncpa
03-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I have only been to NJMP once. I forgot how far it is. 2:45 from north Jersey. Ugh .. i wish I got a room

Bill Howell
03-18-2011, 08:41 PM
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=175126109201409

Hey Facebookers!

SicMonte
03-18-2011, 09:50 PM
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=175126109201409

Hey Facebookers!

Awesome!

Takid455
03-20-2011, 09:05 AM
lower prices too. should have waited to pay.

Few ?'s

1) Due to not wanting to spend money twice (future upgrades) , how will standard street tires (H or T rated) and decent street pads withstand Saturday's abuse? Is it worth while or will it be a waste?

2) What is there to do for companions that really are not participating but tagging along? Are there shadetrees to nap and red a book? Hate to leave her at the hotel.

gtncpa
03-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Street tires are ok for track use. They squeal a lot in the corners and give you an audible cue that they are loosing grip. Track tires have very little squeal and just give out with out any audible warning. Its a seat of the pants thing. Instructors of new track drivers prefer teaching students with street tires because of the built in squeal.

Decent street pads should be ok. They will be tested in the tunnel turn. What I recommend is after your tires are warmed up .. run your car hard and see how the brakes react. If your pedal gets a little soft I would slow down a bit in the straights so when you get to the corners you don't have to stomp on them so much.

Brake fluid is very important on track days. I run ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid Dot 4. It has a much higher boiling point.

The Stickman
03-21-2011, 01:02 AM
You guys don't really want to know what it's doing outside at the moment. But it's all white and sticking to the cars. There are forecasts saying maybe more later in the week. I don't think it's anything major but it's here. Strange considering how nice it was over the weekend.

SicMonte
03-21-2011, 04:30 AM
You guys don't really want to know what it's doing outside at the moment. But it's all white and sticking to the cars. There are forecasts saying maybe more later in the week. I don't think it's anything major but it's here. Strange considering how nice it was over the weekend.

and that is why I am trailering my car up to the event...I know I know....

Actually that's a lie but I thought it would sound good. I am trailering my car to the event because it will most likely be done on Friday morning April 1. I don't want to break down on the the way up there...and with the way things have been going lately I don't want to take any chances!!!

lvrpool32
03-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Don't worry, I'm trailering mine.
1) I will also probably be finishing putting mine together Thursday at midnight...so lord knows what could go wrong.
2) not to mention driving 4 hours with R compound tires, no windows..no heat and side pipes..when its 40 degrees out.

I have started whatching the 10 day weather forecast for Vineland NJ...sunny with low 50's for the early part of next week............fingers crossed.

68sixspeed
03-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Do we have a Friday schedule yet? What time is the cruise, meeting place etc? Just trying to get some idea of what time I need to leave here. (if this snow ever quits) -Dan

sr73bu
03-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Anyone that still needs a helmet, Speedwaymotors is having a garage sale on this RCI SA2005:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-RCI-SA05-Helmet,8685.html

$60 off (now $139.99)... ordered mine today

The Stickman
03-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Anyone that still needs a helmet, Speedwaymotors is having a garage sale on this RCI SA2005:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-RCI-SA05-Helmet,8685.html

$60 off (now $139.99)... ordered mine today

That's exactly what I got. Free shipping too. Very helpful as well. But remember the RCI Helmets run small. I dhould be right between a Medium and a Large. And the large is kinda tight.

SicMonte
03-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Just got this in my email.....

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/375-1.jpg

The Stickman
03-22-2011, 01:43 PM
I didn't get one. Is that supposed to be for our group or just something NJMP is doing?

BonzoHansen
03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Dancing!

68sixspeed
03-22-2011, 04:59 PM
slight problem, that cruise night is the 4th friday... we are there on the first friday?

BonzoHansen
03-22-2011, 05:59 PM
No dancing :crying:

lol

SicMonte
03-22-2011, 07:13 PM
that's just an email I got...It's not for our group.

Has anyone heard anything about our event??

68sixspeed
03-22-2011, 07:16 PM
no, but my area is getting 6-7" of snow tomorrow, kind of makes test drives a bit hard now that I've got the car running.

sr73bu
03-22-2011, 07:59 PM
that's just an email I got...It's not for our group.

Has anyone heard anything about our event??

Yeah, any info on the cruise??? ....Where we are meeting and what time?

-Sean

The Stickman
03-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Well the car is much closer to being ready. It's actually down on the ground now. Still doing some things but see no reason it won't be ready. BTW I think that Bill is keeping the cruise info a surprise. Atleast the location. I hope to be down there early Friday. I also paid more for a room than the rest of the people at the Wyndham. Guess that is what I get for waiting so long.

81blacktiez28
03-24-2011, 01:54 AM
what time is everyone meeting up on fri?

68sixspeed
03-24-2011, 05:08 AM
what time is everyone meeting up on fri?

x2 .... kind of trying to determine when I have to leave for the ~5hr drive down, do we need to be there for noon, or just for dinner? Bill? are you out there?

The Stickman
03-24-2011, 06:33 AM
Think I changed my route. Google earth says to take the turnpike/476 to 76 to 676 and across into NJ and down 55. Seems like a much simpler route and all highway which will mean better gas mileage for the hauler. Should take around 2 hours which is about the same as the other way I wanted to go. Just easier driving. Not sure what time we will leave. I am thinking maybe around 9 or 10 am. Depends how long it takes us to get loaded up.

gtncpa
03-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Are there spots left? Any one have a spot to sell? I have some one that may want to join us.

Vinz68
03-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Yes look at page 17. GT coop is selling his spot

gtncpa
03-24-2011, 11:17 AM

I may have a buyer. I'll let you know

GMachineDartGT
03-25-2011, 04:35 AM
Looking forward, 4 speed swap is complete and ready to graduate to highway testing. Unfortunately, the weather is %^**T! 60% chance of rain on Friday. Saturday dry and cool, not so bad. I've done 2 track days so far in the pouring rain, and I'm done with that...

gtncpa
03-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Nice car! I hear ya about the rain. Spun my car in the rain down at Summit Point. Not fun.

lvrpool32
03-25-2011, 05:41 AM
long range forecast is saying high 50's for Saturday

SicMonte
03-25-2011, 11:51 AM
....still working on my car TRYING to get it all ready for next weekend. I will be trailering the car up there b/c I DO NOT want anything to happen on the way up there.

let me just tell you that this event has...1) lit a fire under my arse to finally do the upgrades I've been wanting to do to this car 2) burned a hole in my pocket and 3) made me really learn about how to build a car with safety in mind!!!

singer69
03-26-2011, 05:46 AM
I still have my spot for sale for friday night and saturday. If your interested please contact me I will sell for a discounted price at this point rather than lose all the money. Thanks Andy
You can email me at [email protected]

GNon18s
03-27-2011, 09:17 PM

Does this refer to M2000 and SA2000? I just realized there is a difference and my helmets are ''M2000". apparently the "SA" is a higher fire rating.

gtncpa
03-28-2011, 04:52 AM
Snell SA rated full face helmets offer the most protection and will work for pretty much any type of auto-related activity you want to participate in. Certain activities like autocross or karting will also allow the less expensive Snell M or K rated helmets.

Snell SA Rated Helmets:
Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.

Snell M Rated Helmets:
Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.

Snell K Rated Helmets:
Snell "K" (Karting) rated helmets are designed for Karting applications. They are subjected to the same test standards as SA helmets except the do not require a fire retardant interior.

What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:
- SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
- SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
- SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

So I am pretty sure you can not use an "M" rated helmet.

SicMonte
03-30-2011, 04:46 AM
QUICK QUESTION...

The seats I have do not have a spereate hole for anti-sub belts. Do I need to run anti-sub belts for this event and if I do is it ok if they come up around the bottom of the seat?

Jasons72
03-30-2011, 01:30 PM
I thought stock belts would be fine for this event since it isn't considered a true race.

gtncpa
03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
I still have snow tires on my car .. and now it is suppose to snow Thursday and Friday! My car is also my DD. Some one want to trailer my car down please?

Jasons72
03-30-2011, 05:10 PM
One day to go and my car refuses to start...awesome

Jasons72
03-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Update: it runs, just wont idle lol my carb guy is coming tomorrow to see what he can do.

gtncpa
03-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Update: it runs, just wont idle lol my carb guy is coming tomorrow to see what he can do.

Good luck! I got my fingers crossed for you.

gsxrken
04-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Just got back home from an outstanding event. My great thanks to the Howell's and the sponsors of the event- Carbon Kustoms and Autowire. First class acts all the way. The pro-touring guests were all fantastic. Good people/good times.

Proving once again that the track is safer than the road, after a full day of 100MPH+ work on the NJMP Lightning course, I ripped up my fender on some box in the right lane of the Jersey Turnpike. No flat tire luckily, and I was able to make it home without further adieu. Oh well, it's just sheet metal.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I will see you all next year for sure.

vanzuuk1
04-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Ken that baaaalows...time for huge flares! I was wondering why you dropped back, bummer man.

Morgan
04-03-2011, 05:39 AM
Ken - that sucks and really sorry to hear that. I was wondering what happened to you guys after we passed you on the way home. Great to meet you guys and hope to see you at an event in the future.

GMachineDartGT
04-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Very nice to have met many people from this board. My hats off to the Howell's as well, and looking forward to next year. A special thanks to the support of our sponsors.

SicMonte
04-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Couple things....

This was my first pro-touring event and it is far from my last! I am just floored at how amazing the weekend was. The people on this site are top notch!! I finally met alot of the people on this site and everyone was nice and just plain awesome. Everyone was so nice.

I have to give a big OH HELL YEAH to the sponsors Carbon Customs and American Autowire. I am just a small fry in the pro-touring world and they treated me like I was top dawg. Just so nice and all around awesome people!!

Next I have to say thanks to the Howell's. Without them these events just wouldn't happen. So thanks a bunch Bill and Melinda for all your hard work and dedication.

Can we do this next weekend?

GNon18s
04-03-2011, 06:45 PM
That was my first time on a big track so I can't even explain in words how much fun I had! I set my trip meter on my way into the facility saturday morning and when I was pulling out that afternoon I had 68miles on the car! The only way I can see next year being anymore fun is if passengers are allowed. I felt bad telling my wife she had to stand outside all day while I drove around by myself.

SicMonte
04-03-2011, 08:59 PM
That was my first time on a big track so I can't even explain in words how much fun I had! I set my trip meter on my way into the facility saturday morning and when I was pulling out that afternoon I had 68miles on the car! The only way I can see next year being anymore fun is if passengers are allowed. I felt bad telling my wife she had to stand outside all day while I drove around by myself.

It's ok...your wife and my g/f kept each other company. lol

lvrpool32
04-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Just got back home from an outstanding event. My great thanks to the Howell's and the sponsors of the event- Carbon Kustoms and Autowire. First class acts all the way. The pro-touring guests were all fantastic. Good people/good times.

Proving once again that the track is safer than the road, after a full day of 100MPH+ work on the NJMP Lightning course, I ripped up my fender on some box in the right lane of the Jersey Turnpike. No flat tire luckily, and I was able to make it home without further adieu. Oh well, it's just sheet metal.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I will see you all next year for sure.

Let me know if you need a hand fixing that...I'll come over and help out with what I can.

Nick

woraponltd
03-25-2012, 04:54 AM
good ^^

BonzoHansen
04-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Today was a big pile of fun!!!!!!!!!!